Outer measure .... Axler, Result 2.14 .... Another Question ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, Sheldon Axler's book: Measure, Integration & Real Analysis ... provides readers with a thorough understanding of the topic of measures. Chapter 2 of the book, Measures, introduces the topic of inner and outer measures. Axler demonstrates rigorously that if the open interval $I_{1}$ contains the right endpoint $c$ larger than the left endpoint $d$ then $l(I_1) \geq d - c$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Sheldon Axler's book: Measure, Integration & Real Analysis ... and I am focused on Chapter 2: Measures ...

I need further help with the proof of Result 2.14 ...

Result 2.14 and its proof read as follows
Axler - Result  2.14- outer measure of a closed interval .png
In the above proof by Axler we read the following:

" ... ... To get started with the induction, note that 2.15 clearly implies 2.16 if \(\displaystyle n = 1\) ... "Can someone please demonstrate rigorously that 2.15 clearly implies 2.16 if \(\displaystyle n = 1\) ...

... in other words, demonstrate rigorously that \(\displaystyle [a, b] \subset I_1 \Longrightarrow l(I_1) \geq b - a\) ...
My thoughts ... we should be able to use \(\displaystyle (a, b) \subset [a, b]\) and the fact that if \(\displaystyle A \subset B\) then \(\displaystyle \mid A \mid \leq \mid B \mid\) ... ... ... ... but we may have to prove rigorously that \(\displaystyle \mid (a, b) \mid = b - a\) but how do we express this proof ...
Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter=============================================================================================================

Readers of the above post may be assisted by access to Axler's definition of the length of an open interval and his definition of outer measure ... so I am providing access to the relevant text ... as follows:
Axler - Defn 2.1 & 2.2 .png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Since $I_{1}$ is an open interval containing $[a,b]$, its right endpoint, say $c$, must be larger than $b$ (with infinity being allowed). Similarly, its left endpoint, say $d$, must be less than $a$ (with negative infinity being allowed). Can you proceed from here?

GJA said:
Hi Peter,

Since $I_{1}$ is an open interval containing $[a,b]$, its right endpoint, say $c$, must be larger than $b$ (with infinity being allowed). Similarly, its left endpoint, say $d$, must be less than $a$ (with negative infinity being allowed). Can you proceed from here?
Thanks for the help GJA ... appreciate it ... I believe I can now proceed ...

Now ... we wish to show that \(\displaystyle [a, b] \subset I_1 \Longrightarrow l(I_1) \geq b - a\) ...

... so ... proceed as follows ...

Let \(\displaystyle I_1 = (c, d)\) where \(\displaystyle c \leq a \lt b \leq d\) ...

Then \(\displaystyle l(I_1) = d - c \geq b - a\) ...

Is that correct?

Peter

Looks good. Nicely done!

Related to Outer measure .... Axler, Result 2.14 .... Another Question ....

1. What is outer measure?

Outer measure is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or extent of a set of points in a given space. It is a generalization of the concept of length, area, and volume, and is often used in the study of measure theory.

2. How is outer measure calculated?

Outer measure is calculated by taking the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the sum of the lengths of a countable collection of intervals that cover the set in question. This means that the outer measure is the smallest possible number that can cover the set.

3. What is Result 2.14 in relation to outer measure?

Result 2.14, also known as the Carathéodory's criterion, is a theorem that states a set is measurable if and only if its outer measure is equal to its inner measure. In other words, a set is measurable if its outer measure can be approximated by a countable collection of intervals.

4. Can outer measure be negative?

No, outer measure cannot be negative. It is a non-negative real number that represents the size or extent of a set. If the outer measure of a set is zero, it means the set has no size or extent in the given space.

5. How is outer measure used in real-world applications?

Outer measure has various applications in real-world scenarios, such as in probability theory, where it is used to calculate the probability of an event occurring. It is also used in economics to measure the size of a market or the extent of a company's market share. In addition, outer measure is used in computer science to analyze the complexity of algorithms and data structures.