Question on Taylor expansion of first order

In summary, according to my textbook, the Taylor expansion of first order of a scalar function f(t) having continuous 2nd order derivative is supposed to be: f(t) = f(0) + f'(0)t + \frac{1}{2}f''(t^*)t^2 for some t^* such that 0\leq t^* \leq 1.
mnb96
Hello,

according to my textbook, the Taylor expansion of first order of a scalar function f(t) having continuous 2nd order derivative is supposed be: [tex]f(t) = f(0) + f'(0)t + \frac{1}{2}f''(t^*)t^2[/tex] for some [itex]t^*[/itex] such that [itex]0\leq t^* \leq 1[/itex]

Quite frankly, I have never seen such a formulation and I don't understand how one could derive the identity [tex]\frac{1}{2}f''(t^*)t^2 = \frac{1}{2}f''(0)t^2 + \frac{1}{3!}f'''(0)t^3 + \frac{1}{4!}f''''(0)t^4 + \ldots [/tex]

Can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not how it is done. First one proves Taylor's therem. Then one observes that for some infinitely differentiable functions (but not all), the Taylor series converges to f(x) on some interval. In this case, the identity you asked about holds, but I can't se that this is of any interest.

That is incorrect, Erland!

We may start with the fundamental theorem of calculus,
[tex]f(t)=f(0)+\int_{0}^{t}f'(\tau)d\tau[/tex]
We now make the clever use of integration by parts:
[tex]f(t)=f(0)+(f'(\tau)(\tau-t))|_{\tau=0}^{\tau=t}-\int_{0}^{t}f''(\tau)(\tau-t)d\tau[/tex]
We now make use of the intermediate value theorem, which says that for functions a(y), b(y), there exists an 0<=X*<=x, so that
[tex]\int_{0}^{x}a(y)b(y)dy=a(X*)\int_{0}^{x}b(y)dy[/tex]

Applying this to the above, we may write (and evaluate the first expression with f' as well)
[tex]f(t)=f(0)+f'(t)t-f''(t*)\int_{0}^{t}(\tau-t)d\tau[/tex]
Or, performing a trivial integration,
[tex]f(t)=f(0)+f'(t)t+\frac{1}{2}f''(t*)t^{2}, 0\leq{t*}\leq{t}[/tex]

This formula is valid for all C_2 functions, and is very important in order to estimate the effective accuracy of a linearization procedure for a function f(t)

See for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem#Explicit_formulae_for_the_remainder

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
arildno said:
That is incorrect, Erland!
What is incorrect? I wrote "First one proves Taylor's theorem", and that is what you did, but only for n=2. The identity I was referring to (and perhaps that was unclear) is the second of OP:s identities, which seems to be of no interest at all.

mnb96 said:
Hello,

according to my textbook, the Taylor expansion of first order of a scalar function f(t) having continuous 2nd order derivative is supposed be: [tex]f(t) = f(0) + f'(0)t + \frac{1}{2}f''(t^*)t^2[/tex] for some [itex]t^*[/itex] such that [itex]0\leq t^* \leq 1[/itex]

Quite frankly, I have never seen such a formulation and I don't understand how one could derive the identity [tex]\frac{1}{2}f''(t^*)t^2 = \frac{1}{2}f''(0)t^2 + \frac{1}{3!}f'''(0)t^3 + \frac{1}{4!}f''''(0)t^4 + \ldots [/tex]

Can anyone help me with this?

(I seem to have switched from t to x -- hope that is not a problem).

The formulation with the ##f''(x^*)x^2## is standard. It measure the difference between f(x) and its linear approximation g(x) = ##f(0) +f'(0)x## in the vicinity of x = 0. As such it is considered an "error term" and is useful if you are hoping to prove something about f(x) by first proving it for g(x) and then claiming the error term doesn't matter.

It can be derived as Erildno shows below, or using the mean value theorem for derivatives. However, what is the question? Is it to expand ##f''(x^*)x^2## into the expression you mention? Because you can't based on what you were told. You know only that f has two derivatives. You can't expand anything in terms of the higher derivatives, which might not exist.

Thank you all.
My main question was to understand how to obtain that remainder in the right-most term.

mnb96 said:
Thank you all.
My main question was to understand how to obtain that remainder in the right-most term.
There are at least two ways. One is arildno's. The other is based upon the generalized mean value theorem (also called Cauchy mean value theorem). I can return to this if you want.

Likes 1 person
You know, interpreting the OP's question is not always trivial. Often there is ambiguity, and I certainly think there was ambiguity here. I myself am not good at guessing, and you'll observe I asked OP in my post what he was really asking.

Since I've answered the wrong question many times, I feel friendly towards anyone who tries to help.

Likes 2 people
Hi guys!

I re-read my original post and I must confess that I feel very sorry for having formulated my question in a confusing way, which then triggered a discussion between arildno and Erland.

In this regard I have to say that *all* the responses that I have gotten have been very useful, and my original question (the one I actually meant to ask) has been fully answered; actually I even got more information than what I was hoping for.

Thanks again.

Likes 1 person

Related to Question on Taylor expansion of first order

1. What is the purpose of using Taylor expansion of first order?

The purpose of using Taylor expansion of first order is to approximate a function using a polynomial of degree one. This allows us to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by using the values of the function and its derivatives at a nearby point. It is particularly useful when dealing with complex functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

2. How is Taylor expansion of first order calculated?

To calculate Taylor expansion of first order, we first need to determine the point at which we want to approximate the function. Then, we find the value of the function and its derivatives at that point. These values are then used to construct a polynomial of degree one, which is then used to approximate the function at the given point.

3. What is the difference between Taylor expansion of first order and other orders?

Taylor expansion of first order, also known as the Maclaurin series, is a polynomial of degree one that approximates a function at a specific point. Other orders, such as second, third, and higher orders, use higher degree polynomials to provide a more accurate approximation of the function. The higher the order, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value of the function.

4. When is Taylor expansion of first order most accurate?

Taylor expansion of first order is most accurate when the function is smooth and has a small range of values. It is also more accurate when the point of approximation is close to the point at which the function is being evaluated. Additionally, the accuracy increases as the number of terms in the polynomial increases.

5. What are the limitations of using Taylor expansion of first order?

One limitation of using Taylor expansion of first order is that it only provides an approximation of a function at a specific point, and may not accurately represent the behavior of the function at other points. Additionally, it is only reliable for functions that are smooth and have continuous derivatives. It may also be computationally expensive to calculate for higher order polynomials.