Restrictive piping and water flow

In summary, the individual is seeking help with a water flow issue in their geothermal heating system. They are wondering if using 3/4" pipe instead of the recommended 1-1/2" pipe from the unit to the tank would sufficiently restrict water flow. However, it is advised to follow the manufacturer's recommendation to avoid any potential problems, such as damaging the heat pump. It is recommended to consult with a contractor to ensure proper operation of the heat pump.
kowal1
Hi, new to the forum and I'm looking for some help with water flow problem. I have a geothermal heating system. However, when installed a regular hot water tank was used to act as a buffer/holding tank to heat my floor. My question to anyone that can help is this; The manufacturer recommends that 1-1/2" copper pipe be used from the unit to the tank. However, the tank only has 3/4" inlets. Would these restrict the water flow enough to the point that 3/4" pipe could just be used from the unit to the tanks instead? I have no clue about water flow through a pipe. If you could help with a little explanation that would be great!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Quick answer, no. I'd use what the manufacturer recommends anyway. Especially if a warranty is involved.

3/4 to 1-1/2 is a huge size difference. I'd definitely run 1-1/2 all the way to the tank, then transition if I'd do this at all -- and make sure the heat pump is working ok because starving it for flow can be a big problem. The risk is in summer you could freeze the water in the heat pump, destroying it.

Perhaps get a contractor to look at it before or after to make sure it is going to be ok (they can test the heat pump to make sure it is operating properly).

Related to Restrictive piping and water flow

1. What is restrictive piping?

Restrictive piping refers to the use of pipes or tubing with a smaller diameter than what is recommended for the intended water flow. This can cause a decrease in water pressure and flow rate, leading to issues with water supply and distribution.

2. How does restrictive piping affect water flow?

Restrictive piping can significantly decrease water flow by creating resistance and reducing the space for water to flow through. This can also cause issues with water pressure, as the smaller diameter of the pipes can create a bottleneck effect.

3. What are the common causes of restrictive piping?

Some common causes of restrictive piping include using pipes with a smaller diameter than recommended, using pipes with internal obstructions or buildup, and using pipes with bends or curves that create resistance and restrict water flow.

4. What are the potential consequences of restrictive piping?

The consequences of restrictive piping can include low water pressure, slow water flow, and issues with water supply and distribution. It can also lead to increased strain on plumbing systems, which can result in leaks, bursts, and other damages.

5. How can restrictive piping be addressed?

To address restrictive piping, it is important to first identify the cause. This may involve inspecting pipes for any obstructions or buildup, replacing pipes with a larger diameter, or redesigning the plumbing system to reduce bends and curves. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help prevent and address restrictive piping issues.