Riding a Segway: Physics Behind the Motion

In summary, the Segway operates by shifting the rider's center of gravity to control its forward and backward motion. The motor adjusts the torque to prevent the rider from falling. To maintain stable motion with constant acceleration, the normal and static friction forces applied by the street must be calculated. The torque needed to maintain this motion is dependent on the combined mass and moment of inertia of the Segway and rider, as well as the height of their center of mass above the platform. The torque required to accelerate the system can be supplied through the axle.
tnutty
Pic :http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2005/dt/39233079/segway_b1.jpg"The rider stands on the platform behind the handle bars that controls the forward and backward motion of the vehicle by shifting his/her center of gravity forward and backward. The motor inside the base of the vehicle constantly adjust the torque that is delivered to the wheels in order that the rider does not fall. This question examines the physical principle that makes it possible for someone with no acrobatic skills to ride the segway. Consider a segway on a level street with the mass of the vehicle plus the rider m. When the rider is mounted motionlessly on the segway, the center of the mass of the vehicle plus the rider is located at height, h above the street. The wheels have radius r and their combined moment of inertia is I. Ignore air friction. 1) Solve for the normal and the static friction forces that the street applies to the vehicle as it accelerates forward with a constant acceleration a on a leveled surface.

2) How much torque must the motor deliver to each wheel in order to maintain stable motion with constant acceleration a?

3) How much torque do you need to deliver to each wheel in order to maintain that constant acceleration?Please if you solve this with detailed explanation, I will be in forever debt to you. Please help.
I have no idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tnutty said:
Pic :http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2005/dt/39233079/segway_b1.jpg"

The rider stands on the platform behind the handle bars that controls the forward and backward motion of the vehicle by shifting his/her center of gravity forward and backward. The motor inside the base of the vehicle constantly adjust the torque that is delivered to the wheels in order that the rider does not fall. This question examines the physical principle that makes it possible for someone with no acrobatic skills to ride the segway. Consider a segway on a level street with the mass of the vehicle plus the rider m. When the rider is mounted motionlessly on the segway, the center of the mass of the vehicle plus the rider is located at height, h above the street. The wheels have radius r and their combined moment of inertia is I. Ignore air friction.

1) Solve for the normal and the static friction forces that the street applies to the vehicle as it accelerates forward with a constant acceleration a on a leveled surface.

2) How much torque must the motor deliver to each wheel in order to maintain stable motion with constant acceleration a?

3) How much torque do you need to deliver to each wheel in order to maintain that constant acceleration?

Please if you solve this with detailed explanation, I will be in forever debt to you. Please help.
I have no idea

You know how things work here by now don't you? What are your thoughts on how to approach it?

How's that for a segue to a solution?

Here is my force diagram.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5382/forcediagram.jpg

I am not sure how to start.

F_firc = u*F_nF_n = Mg;

I have the same problem...not sure how to start this one...

u in physics w/ jones

yeah lol. pretty stumped on this segway problem...looking for some insight

f this test

tnutty said:
Here is my force diagram.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5382/forcediagram.jpg

I am not sure how to start.

F_firc = u*F_n

F_n = Mg;

Well what needs to be in balance?

Did I hear you say that the sum of the torques will need to be imbalanced in order to accelerate?

From your drawing you have 2 centers of mass to worry about, though you can combine them into one. The Segway and the human. But let's say they are combined and it's located above the platform that the rider stands on as you have drawn. The way you've defined θ it looks like is going to be Ms - the mass of the system times g times cosθ times the height of the CoM above the platform that determines the torque that needs to be balanced.

So how do you figure the counterbalancing torque and the torque required to accelerate the system will be supplied through the axle?

Related to Riding a Segway: Physics Behind the Motion

1. How does a Segway balance itself?

The Segway uses a combination of gyroscopic sensors, accelerometers, and motors to maintain its balance. The sensors detect the tilt and movement of the rider, and the motors adjust the speed and direction of the wheels to keep the Segway upright.

2. What is the role of center of mass in riding a Segway?

The center of mass is crucial in riding a Segway. The rider's center of mass must be positioned above the wheels for the Segway to stay balanced. If the rider leans forward, the center of mass shifts and the Segway moves forward. Similarly, if the rider leans back, the center of mass shifts and the Segway moves backward.

3. How does the Segway move forward and backward?

The Segway moves forward and backward by changing the speed and direction of the wheels. When the rider leans forward, the sensors detect the movement and the motors increase the speed of the wheels, causing the Segway to move forward. When the rider leans back, the motors decrease the speed of the wheels, causing the Segway to move backward.

4. What is the role of friction in riding a Segway?

Friction plays a vital role in riding a Segway. The friction between the wheels and the ground allows the Segway to move forward or backward. Without friction, the wheels would just spin in place, and the Segway would not be able to move.

5. Can the Segway move on any surface?

The Segway is designed to move on flat, even surfaces. It can handle small bumps and inclines, but it may struggle on uneven or rough terrain. It is not recommended to ride a Segway on slippery or wet surfaces as it can affect the friction between the wheels and the ground.