Strange inequality of infinite series

In summary, the conversation is about an inequality discovered while doing a complex analysis exercise involving a sequence of positive real numbers and a positive real number. The question is whether anything can be deduced from this inequality, such as the convergence of a series, and whether the inequality is true or false. There is also discussion about a particular sequence that may not satisfy the conditions of the inequality and the need for a revised statement of the question. The conversation concludes with a proof for one direction of the inequality and a question about how to prove the other direction.
pantboio
Hi everybody,
while doing a complex analysis exercise, i came to a strange inequality which i don't know how to interpretate. Suppose you have a sequence $\{a_j\}$ of positive real number. Let $\rho$ a positive real number. The inequality i found after some calculation is
$$\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|a_j|^{\rho +\epsilon}}\leq \sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|a_j|^{\rho-\epsilon}}$$
for every $\epsilon>0$.
My question is: can i deduce something from this inequality? for example the convergence of the first series (that with $+\epsilon$)? Can i deduce nothing? Is that inequality surely false?
EDIT: the sequence $a_j$ tends to $\infty$
Kind regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pantboio said:
Hi everybody,
while doing a complex analysis exercise, i came to a strange inequality which i don't know how to interpretate. Suppose you have a sequence $\{a_j\}$ of positive real number. Let $\rho$ a positive real number. The inequality i found after some calculation is
$$\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|a_j|^{\rho +\epsilon}}\leq \sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|a_j|^{\rho-\epsilon}}$$
for every $\epsilon>0$.
My question is: can i deduce something from this inequality? for example the convergence of the first series (that with $+\epsilon$)? Can i deduce nothing? Is that inequality surely false?
EDIT: the sequence $a_j$ tends to $\infty$
Kind regards

May be that the inequality holds for every $0<\varepsilon<\rho$ and not for every $\varepsilon >0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Another not full clear aspect is that the particular sequence $a_{j} = \ln (2+j)$ satisfies the conditions [all terms are positives and the sequence is unbounded...] , but the series $\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{a_{j}^{\alpha}}$ diverges for any real $\alpha$. I think that the entire statement of the question should be revised...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Another not full clear aspect is that the particular sequence $a_{j} = \ln (2+j)$ satisfies the conditions [all terms are positives and the sequence is unbounded...] , but the series $\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{a_{j}^{\alpha}}$ diverges for any real $\alpha$. I think that the entire statement of the question should be revised...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
I think so too. As soon as i'll have clearer ideas i'll post a more precise question

Take $a_j=|z_j|$, where $\{z_j\}$ is the sequence of zeros of an entire function. We suppose $|z_j|\rightarrow +\infty$. Then we introduce two numbers:$b$ which is the exponent of convergence of $\{z_j\}$, defined as the $\inf B$ where $B$ is the set of all $\lambda>0$ such that the series $\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|z_j|^{\lambda}}$ converges. The second quantity is $\rho$, which is
$$\rho=\limsup_{r\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{log\ n(r)}{log\ r}$$
where $n(r)$ is the counting function of $\{z_j\}$, i.e. $n(r)$ is defined to be the number of zeros $z_j$ which satisfy the inequality $|z_j|\leq r$.
CLAIM : $\rho=b$

In order to prove the claim i use the definiton of $\limsup$. We have
$$\rho=\inf\{s>0\ \textrm{s.t.} \frac{log\ n(r)}{log\ r}\leq s\ \forall r\geq r_s\}$$Hence, for every $\epsilon>0$ we have
$$r^{\rho-\epsilon}<n(r)<r^{\rho+\epsilon}$$
definitely for $r$ big enough. From the second inequality we have
$$\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|z_j|^{\rho-\epsilon}}\geq\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{n(|z_j|)}=\infty$$
where we assume an enumeration of $z_j$'s such that $|z_1|<|z_2|<\ldots$. This shows that $\rho-\epsilon$ is not in $B$ for every $\epsilon$ and so we have $\rho\leq b$.

The opposite inequality $b\leq \rho$ is what i can't actually prove.
What i can prove is that $\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{n(|z_j|)}{|z_j|^{1+\rho+\epsilon}}$ converges $\forall \epsilon$, but i don't know the way to deduce from this what i need, i.e. that $\sum\frac{1}{|z_j|^{\rho+\epsilon}}$ converges

Last edited:

Related to Strange inequality of infinite series

What is the "Strange inequality of infinite series"?

The "Strange inequality of infinite series" is a mathematical concept that refers to a phenomenon where a seemingly infinite series of numbers can be rearranged in a way that changes the sum of the series. This inequality was first discovered by German mathematician Georg Cantor in the late 19th century.

How does the "Strange inequality of infinite series" work?

The "Strange inequality of infinite series" works by rearranging the terms of an infinite series in a way that changes the sum of the series. This is possible because, in some cases, the order in which the terms are added can affect the final result. This phenomenon is also known as conditional convergence.

Why is the "Strange inequality of infinite series" important?

The "Strange inequality of infinite series" is important because it challenges our understanding of infinite series and the concept of infinity in mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering, where infinite series are used to model real-world phenomena.

What are some real-world examples of the "Strange inequality of infinite series"?

One real-world example of the "Strange inequality of infinite series" is the Grandi's series, which can be rearranged in different ways to yield different sums, including 0, 1, and 1/2. Another example is the alternating harmonic series, which can be rearranged to yield different sums depending on the order of the terms.

Are there any consequences of the "Strange inequality of infinite series"?

Yes, there are consequences of the "Strange inequality of infinite series". For instance, it challenges the concept of absolute convergence, which states that the order of terms in an infinite series should not affect the final sum. It also has implications for the convergence of infinite series in calculus and other branches of mathematics.