Tangential acceleration, linear acceleration, and torque

Therefore, we can see that torque contributes to tangential acceleration by changing the angular velocity, which in turn affects the tangential velocity. In summary, tangential and radial acceleration are types of linear acceleration that are affected by torque, which contributes to tangential acceleration by changing the angular velocity.
blueblast
What is the difference between tangential and linear acceleration of a circular object (let's say a ball)? Also, how does the torque contribute to linear acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you find during your quest on the net ?

BvU said:
What did you find during your quest on the net ?
Not much.

Let us start from the definitions. What is linear acceleration, and what is angular accelertion? Also, at what level are you looking at the topic, calculus based physics, or algebra based physics?

blueblast said:
Not much.
Is an answer to the question how much did you find...", not to the question "what did you find" ...

Let me rephrase: what search terms did you use and which results did you like, which did you not like ?

Reason I ask is that I have no idea what level of answer I can give. Do you already know what the terms stand for, and want something specific on a spherical object (a ball is not a circular object) ?

Tangential and radial acceleration are both types of linear acceleration. Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of the tangential velocity and arises when the speed around the circle is not constant; radial acceleration will always be present (including for constant speeds) and points to the centre of the circle. The other type of acceleration would be angular acceleration.

Now, let's explore how exactly the torque affects the tangential acceleration.

[tex]\tau = \frac{d(Iw)}{dt} = I \frac{dw}{dt}[/tex] We know this because the net torque is equal to the rate of change of angular momentum.
So [tex]\frac{dw}{dt} = \frac{\tau}{I}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d(wr)}{dt} = r \frac{dw}{dt} = r \frac{\tau}{I}[/tex]

Here, v represents tangential velocity, which is equivalent to wr.

Related to Tangential acceleration, linear acceleration, and torque

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing in a circular motion.

2. How is tangential acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and linear acceleration are different because tangential acceleration only measures the change in speed in a circular motion, while linear acceleration measures the change in speed in a straight line.

3. What are some real-life examples of tangential acceleration?

Some examples of tangential acceleration in everyday life include the acceleration of a car going around a curve, the acceleration of a spinning top, and the acceleration of a roller coaster going around a loop.

4. How is torque related to tangential and linear acceleration?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is related to tangential acceleration because it is necessary for an object to have torque in order to have tangential acceleration. Linear acceleration is not directly related to torque.

5. How can tangential acceleration, linear acceleration, and torque be calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is tangential acceleration, v is tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. Linear acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is linear acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. Torque can be calculated using the formula τ = rFsinθ, where τ is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, F is the force applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm.