Topological and neighbourhood bases

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of topological base and neighbourhood base for a topological space, as well as a theorem about the equivalence of these bases. The proof of the theorem is also briefly discussed, with some minor errors noted and corrected.
Rasalhague
I'm trying to follow a proof in this video, #20 in the ThoughtSpaceZero topology series. I get the first part, but have a problem with second part, which begins at 8:16.

Let there by a topological space [itex](X,T)[/itex]. Let [itex]x[/itex] denote an arbitrary element of [itex]X[/itex].

Definition 1. Topological base. A set [itex]B \subseteq T[/itex] such that [itex](\forall T_i \in T) (\exists C \subseteq B) [T_i = \cup_C C_j][/itex].

Definition 2. Neighbourhood base for [itex]x[/itex]. A subset [itex]\beta [x][/itex] of [itex]V[x][/itex], the neighbourhoods of [itex]x[/itex], such that [itex](\forall V_i \in V[x])(\exists B_i \in \beta [x])[B_i \subseteq V_i][/itex].

Theorem. Let there be a topological space [itex](X,T)[/itex]. Let [itex]B \subseteq 2^X[/itex]. Let [itex]\beta [x] = \left \{ B_i \in B \;|\; x \in B_i \right \} \subseteq B[/itex]. Then [itex]B[/itex] is a topological base for T if and only if, for all [itex]x[/itex], the set [itex]\beta [x][/itex] is a neighbourhood base for [itex]x[/itex].

Proof. Assume [itex]B[/itex] is a base for [itex]T[/itex]. [...]

I understand that part; but I don't follow his proof of the converse. Paraphrasing here: (My comments in square brackets.)

Assume that, [itex]\forall x[/itex], [itex]\beta [x][/itex] is a neighbourhood base for [itex]x[/itex]. Let [itex]U \in T[/itex]. Then [itex](\forall x \in U) (\exists U_x \in \beta [x])[U_x \subseteq U][/itex], by the definition of a neighbourhood base. [Because [itex]U[/itex], as an open set, is a neighbourhood of [itex]x[/itex], being a superset of itself.] But remember that the neighbourhood base is a subset of the base, by definition: [itex]\beta [x] \subseteq B[/itex]. [By definition of what? Of the suggestively labelled set [itex]\beta [x][/itex]? Or was this part of the definition of a neighbourhood base? I'm guessing that "base (unqualified) = topological base" here, and that the reference to [itex]B[/itex] might be an accidental anticipation of the conclusion yet to be proved.] So [itex]U_x \in B[/itex]. So [itex]U = \cup_{x \in U} U_x[/itex], so [itex]B[/itex] is a [topological] base.

What if [itex]U_x \notin T[/itex]? Since [itex]U_x[/itex] is a neighbourhood of [itex]x[/itex], we could replace it with a subset of itself which is open, but how would we know that this subset of [itex]U_x[/itex] is in [itex]B[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But remember that the neighbourhood base is a subset of the base, by definition:

What he meant to say is that [itex]\beta(x)\subseteq B[/itex]. Calling it a base is wrong (since that's what we wanted to prove).

What if [itex]U_x\notin T[/itex]?

Well noticed! Indeed, one should take B a subset of T from the very beginning. That is, the theorem should be

Let [itex](X,\mathcal{T})[/itex] be a topological space and let [itex]\mathcal{B}\subseteq \mathcal{T}[/itex]. Then [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] is a base if and only if
[tex]\beta (x)=\{B\in \mathcal{B}~\vert~x\in B\}[/tex]
is a neighbourhood base for all x

I wrote this before micromass replied.

I don't have time to study the proof in detail, but I have some notes on this that I can (almost) just copy and paste, so I'll do that. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't.

Theorem: Suppose that [itex](X,\tau)[/itex] is a topological space. The following conditions on a set [itex]\mathcal B\subset\mathcal P(X)[/itex] are equivalent.

(a) Every non-empty open set is a union of members of [itex]\mathcal B[/itex].
(b) If [itex]E[/itex] is open and [itex]x\in E[/itex], there's a [itex]B\in\mathcal B[/itex] such that [itex]x\in B\subset E[/itex].Proof:
(a) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (b): Let [itex] E[/itex] be an arbitrary non-empty open set, and let [itex]x\in E[/itex] be arbitrary. By assumption, there's a set [itex]\{B_i\in\mathcal B|i\in I\}[/itex] such that [itex]E=\bigcup_{i\in I} B_i[/itex]. This means that there's a [itex]j\in I[/itex] such that [itex]x\in B_j\subset\bigcup_{i\in I} B_i=E[/itex].

(b) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (a): Let [itex]E[/itex] be an arbitrary non-empty open set. For each [itex]x\in E[/itex], choose [itex]B_x\in B[/itex] such that [itex]x\in B_x\subset E[/itex]. The fact that [itex]x\in B_x[/itex] for all [itex]x\in E[/itex] implies that [itex]E\subset\bigcup_{x\in E} B_x[/itex]. The fact that [itex]B_x\subset E[/itex] for all [itex]x\in E[/itex] implies that [itex]\bigcup_{x\in E} B_x\subset E[/itex]. So [itex]\bigcup_{x\in E} B_x=E[/itex].

Definition: If [itex](X,\tau)[/itex] is a topological space, a set [itex]\mathcal B\subset\tau[/itex] that satisfies the equivalent conditions of the theorem is said to be a base for the topology [itex]\tau[/itex].

I wasn't even aware that there's a term for a collection of subsets that satisfies (a) and another one for a collection of subsets that satisfies (b).

Edit: I fixed a mistake in the statement of the theorem. I had left out the word "non-empty" from condition (a). It should definitely be there.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
Edit: I see that I need to change something because of the empty set. The problem is that (a) implies that [itex]\emptyset\in\mathcal B[/itex], but (b) doesn't. So the two statements can't be equivalent. I'm thinking about what to change now.

That is not a problem because of some trickery. In fact, (a) doesn't imply that [itex]\emptyset\in \mathcal{B}[/itex]. We can always write

[tex]\emptyset = \bigcup \{B\in \mathcal{B}~\vert~B\neq B\}[/tex]

The statement [itex]B\neq B[/itex] isn't really important, the importance is to take an empty union! The fun thing is that the empty union is always empty. So if we demand that every open set is a union of sets, then this is always true for the empty set!

micromass said:
That is not a problem because of some trickery. In fact, (a) doesn't imply that [itex]\emptyset\in \mathcal{B}[/itex]. We can always write

[tex]\emptyset = \bigcup \{B\in \mathcal{B}~\vert~B\neq B\}[/tex]
That's a fun trick. I certainly didn't think of that. :smile: But I think I prefer to just add the word "non-empty" to (a).

Thanks all for clearing that up!

(I've just made some edits of my own to the OP. Must have been too intent on getting the LaTeX right to notice that I wrote "neighbourhood basis for x if and only if [...] is a neighbourhood basis for x". Yikes!)

Related to Topological and neighbourhood bases

1) What is a topological base?

A topological base is a collection of open sets in a topological space that can be used to generate all other open sets in the space through unions and intersections. It provides a convenient way to define open sets and study the properties of a topological space.

2) What is the role of a topological base in defining a topology?

A topological base is essential in defining a topology on a set. It serves as a foundation for the open sets in the topology and provides a way to describe the structure of the space. Without a topological base, it is not possible to define a topology on a set.

3) How is a topological base different from a topological subbase?

A topological base is a collection of open sets that can generate all other open sets in a space, while a topological subbase is a collection of open sets that may not be able to generate all open sets, but can generate a topological base. A topological base is generally smaller than a subbase, but both can be used to define a topology on a space.

4) Can a topological base be finite?

Yes, a topological base can be finite. In fact, some topological spaces have finite bases. However, there are also topological spaces that have infinite bases. The size of the base does not affect the properties of the topology, as long as it satisfies the axioms of a topological base.

5) How are neighbourhood bases related to topological bases?

A neighbourhood base is a collection of open sets that contains all neighbourhoods of a point in a topological space. It is a special type of topological base that is used to define the neighbourhoods of a point. In some cases, a topological base can also be used as a neighbourhood base, but not all topological bases are neighbourhood bases.