What I tell laymen who ask me about SR

• Thread starter Crosson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, relativity is a theory that describes how people move through space and time relative to each other. It states that people who are moving through space relative to you move slower through time relative to you.
Brian Greene reprises this explanation of SR in "Fabric of the Cosmos." Before using Bart and Lisa Simpson as characters in an imaginary experiment, he says essentially what you said, Crosson, although with some distinctions.

He emphasizes that, because everything moves through space-time at a constant speed, the name for relativity is somewhat misleading. And that in fact Einstein originally wanted to call it "invariance theory." This may be something to interest the layman (although, in my case it has only confused me to the point of wanting to become a physicist just to understand everything... and considering I'm in my senior year of economics, it's not exactly productive to be considering a career change)!

Also, he says that a parked car has devoted all of its constant motion to motion through time. But, when it starts to move it has transferred some of that motion to space and now time will slow down for it, as it has taken some of its motion away from moving through time.

Last edited:
<h2>What is special relativity?</h2><p>Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how time and space are affected by the motion of objects. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.</p><h2>What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?</h2><p>Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames, such as those affected by gravity. General relativity also includes the concept of curved spacetime, which is not present in special relativity.</p><h2>What are some real-life applications of special relativity?</h2><p>Special relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and has practical applications in many fields, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of high-speed objects, such as spacecraft and stars.</p><h2>Is special relativity still relevant today?</h2><p>Yes, special relativity is still a fundamental theory in modern physics and is used in many areas of research, including cosmology, astrophysics, and high-energy physics. Its predictions have been consistently confirmed by experiments and continue to be a crucial part of our understanding of the universe.</p><h2>Can you explain the famous equation E=mc^2?</h2><p>This equation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence, is a consequence of special relativity. It states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. The speed of light, represented by c, is a fundamental constant in the universe and is a key factor in this equation.</p>

Related to What I tell laymen who ask me about SR

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how time and space are affected by the motion of objects. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames, such as those affected by gravity. General relativity also includes the concept of curved spacetime, which is not present in special relativity.

What are some real-life applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and has practical applications in many fields, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of high-speed objects, such as spacecraft and stars.

Is special relativity still relevant today?

Yes, special relativity is still a fundamental theory in modern physics and is used in many areas of research, including cosmology, astrophysics, and high-energy physics. Its predictions have been consistently confirmed by experiments and continue to be a crucial part of our understanding of the universe.

Can you explain the famous equation E=mc^2?

This equation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence, is a consequence of special relativity. It states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. The speed of light, represented by c, is a fundamental constant in the universe and is a key factor in this equation.