Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #1,541
*doing my best not to be jealous* Nice picture!

Is it back photographer champions?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,542
I'm taking notes: bring camera to breakfast with you while in The Happiest Place on Earth.

This play-by-play of your vacation, Moonbear, is wonderful!

• #1,543
Astro! Did you see that? You can cancel your mountaineering climbing plans! Expedition Everest, has everything you need.

ummm whos Chuck?

• #1,544
hypatia said:
Astro! Did you see that? You can cancel your mountaineering climbing plans! Expedition Everest, has everything you need.
Cough, cough! That puny thing? Ah, ummm, I need the real thing. That's like offering decaffeinated coffee to a heavy duty coffee drinker like me. :biggrin:

hypatia said:
ummm who's Chuck?
He is the guy to the right of Moonbear. :biggrin: So she has at least two guys with her. o:)

Well, sooner or later, I have to go there because my son would like to do it at least once, so I am paying attention.

In fact, I will be in the neighborhood next week. I have a short trip to Miami next Tuesday.

• #1,545
Wait...did you hear that? It sounded like a bear screaming. I wonder if Zz got Moonbear on the Tower of Terror?

• #1,546
Evo said:
Wait...did you hear that? It sounded like a bear screaming. I wonder if Zz got Moonbear on the Tower of Terror?

YUP! I got Moonbie on the Tower of Terror. But everyone thought I'm nutty? Well, Moonbie, instead of screaming on the Tower of Terror, was LAUGHING instead since she was so scared. What a strange woman!

:)

We did Soarin' at Epcot in the morning, had lunch at the Morrocan restaurant, entertained by a couple of perfomers and a belly dancer, and then went over to Disney/MGM Studios. The highlight of the evening was the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights. Let me just tell you that no pictures can do justice. It is truly spectacular.

I'll try to upload pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a lazy day. Moonbie will be hanging around the pool at her resort, I will be relaxing around my resort. We're meeting in the evening for dinner and Illuminations at Epcot.

Zz.

• #1,547
Evo said:
He did get me on it, but I didn't scream (Zz did though...there was an adorable 5 year old in line who wasn't afraid though, and was willing to hold his hand if he needed it...everyone say "awwwww" together now)...I was laughing WAAAAAYYY too hard to scream. :smile: It's a great ride! It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I was expecting one of those gut wrenching long free-falls, but it wasn't too bad...except when they open the doors so you can see out (I think you're supposed to see how far up you are at that point) and I was nearly blinded by the sun. It just catches you entirely by surprise as to when you're going to drop and how far, which for some reason made me laugh, and then I couldn't stop laughing through the remainder of the ride.

Pictures will have to be posted by Zz for today's adventures. After all his talking and talking and talking about the Osborne light display at MGM, I have to say I was absolutely stunned at the gorgeous and far more than expected light display. It seemed like there were lights on every square inch of the buildings in that area of the park. You know there are a lot of lights, but when we turned the corner and actually saw the full effect, it was just absolutely breath-taking! Zz brought along a tripod to get some long exposure photos (okay, some is really an understatement...I wandered off for a half hour and he was still taking photos when I returned), so we'll have to get him to share some of those for today's photo exhibit.

Tomorrow we're going to rest up. Zz's heading off to do more shopping or pin collecting or both wherever it is he's doing that, and I'm going to lounge around by the poolside with a book and be a proper vacationer.

Oh, and Zz learned today not to tell Moonbear to walk quickly to get somewhere (we were trying to get to Soarin' after lunch for our FastPass times...for some of the more popular rides, you can skip standing in a long chunk of line by getting a FastPass, which tells you a pre-appointed time range to return...you can only do one of these at a time, so the ideal thing is to get a FastPass for one ride, then go get in the regular line of another...or get lunch as we did). Apparently he hadn't realized until then that I can walk fast. :rolleyes: Well, for the most part, he's been leading the way since he knows all the shortcuts to get to everything, so I've just been keeping his pace to get to things.

Oh, Chuck...he's our videographer...you can't have a Disney wedding without bringing along your own videographer, right? :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • #1,548
Oh, looks like Zz was already posting while I was typing out that long reply. Oh well, you can read all about it twice...but I wasn't scared on the Tower of Terror...I think the 5-year-old standing in line behind us gave me a bit of courage. And when they only gave us seatbelts to strap us in rather than full harnesses as I was expecting, I realized it couldn't be that bad.

• #1,549
Moonie said:
It wasn't at all what I was expecting (I was expecting one of those gut wrenching long free-falls, but it wasn't too bad...except when they open the doors so you can see out (I think you're supposed to see how far up you are at that point) and I was nearly blinded by the sun.
When I went on the one out here I decided that it would probably have been better if I had gone on it while it was dark. With the sun up it doesn't really fit what the atmosphere is supposed to be like.

• #1,550
TheStatutoryApe said:
When I went on the one out here I decided that it would probably have been better if I had gone on it while it was dark. With the sun up it doesn't really fit what the atmosphere is supposed to be like.
I agree, especially when you can't see anything when suddenly blinded by bright light anyway. Though, that seems to serve the secondary purpose of providing enough light to take your photo on the ride. When we got off the ride and they had the photos up on the monitors, I had my hand in front of my face trying to shield my eyes from the sun (and of course Zz and Chuck, being the big hams they are and already knowing when the photos are taken, were sitting there waving to the camera in the photo :rolleyes: :smile:).

• #1,551
OK, here are a few pictures from the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights.

mgm19rb.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1558/mgm27bi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,553
Wow, that's a LOT of lights. :!)

I'm missing out on so much. :cry:

• #1,555
Evo said:
Wow, that's a LOT of lights. :!)
I'm missing out on so much. :cry:
Even Zz's great photos can't fully do it justice! Oh, and they even had fake snow blowing in from the rooftops to complete the scene. It really is a shame you couldn't join us Evo. You'd have loved it (of course we'd probably be banned from the resort by now for eating the chocolate carousel, but that would be worth it, don't you think?)

• #1,556
Moonbear said:
Even Zz's great photos can't fully do it justice! Oh, and they even had fake snow blowing in from the rooftops to complete the scene. It really is a shame you couldn't join us Evo. You'd have loved it (of course we'd probably be banned from the resort by now for eating the chocolate carousel, but that would be worth it, don't you think?)
They would have to prove we ate it first. :devil:

I've got to find some way to go next time.

• #1,557
And oh, just for the heck of it, on the way out, I took a picture of The Hat. I think I'm kinda partial to this one...

Zz.

mgm85ko.jpg

• #1,558
Oh, the hat picture came out about as perfect as you can get it! The view of it on the camera viewer didn't do it justice at all!

• #1,559
ZapperZ said:
mgm32ya.jpg

mgm58fi.jpg

mgm67le.jpg

Zz.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• #1,560
Who went to Disney? Moonbear and Zz?

• #1,561
More pictures from the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights...

mgm90qo.jpg

mgm108ko.jpg

mgm116vf.jpg

Zz.

• #1,562
Wow those lights *are* spectacular. That's one of those things someone would have had to drag me off to see, and then I wouldn't want to leave once I got there.

That's some kickass photography on your part, Zz. Nice work.

So you laughed the whole way on the ride, huh, Moonbear? That's hilarious. I somehow couldn't envision you screeching the whole way, though. Laughing seems appropriate. And, yes, someone really young or way older than you doing something that might freak you out is a source of courage.

I hope you have a terrific day lounging by the pool reading. That sounds like a terrific plan. Otherwise, you'd need a vacation after your vacation. Disney doesn't sound like a real relaxing adventure. However, it does look and sound like a bunch of fun.

• #1,563
Speaking of Moonbie, this is a picture of her... after you feed her with a sufficient amount of booze.

Zz.

mb40qe.jpg

• #1,565
More pictures...

This is the picture of the tree right in front of the entrance to Disney/MGM Studios during the day, and the same tree at night when it is lit up.

Zz.

http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/9259/tree19gg.jpg

tree22mc.jpg

• #1,566
GeorginaS said:
Wow those lights *are* spectacular. That's one of those things someone would have had to drag me off to see, and then I wouldn't want to leave once I got there.
That pretty much summed it up for me. I was going for the park, Zz was going for the lights, but once they turned the lights on, and I turned that corner and saw the "streets" lit up with them, I was like a little kid just standing in awe.

I hope you have a terrific day lounging by the pool reading. That sounds like a terrific plan. Otherwise, you'd need a vacation after your vacation. Disney doesn't sound like a real relaxing adventure. However, it does look and sound like a bunch of fun.
Well, so far I haven't done much lounging. Since my resort is a hop, skip and a jump from Epcot (it takes me longer to walk out of the hotel than it does to get to Epcot...this resort is HUGE!), I wandered over there this morning. It started out too cool to sit out by the pool, so I thought I'd take a leisurely stroll around Epcot. I had some fun with pin trading...it's actually a great thing when doing the solo walk around the park...it gave me an excuse to stop and talk with people on my way (yeah, I know, as if I need an excuse to talk). I did some damage to my credit card too...the German area had a shop with Christmas ornaments...the IngeGlas ones that I collect (that's my real collecting addiction...there was a little shop in Covington, KY (just across the river from Cincinnati) just packed with German Christmas ornaments, and I discovered the IngeGlas ones there. Well, now that I've moved, I can only get them by online mail order, but that's tough when you can't just look at the ornaments in person and decide which ones you really like to look at, so I couldn't resist when I walked into that shop and saw them today. Those are being shipped home...I'm not taking any chances trying to get those into my luggage safely, they're far too fragile.

Now it's warm enough for relaxing by the pool, so I'm headed there soon. :approve: I already scoped it out, and as expected, most of the kids are off to parks with their parents, so the huge pool is quite quiet and nearly empty. Perfect!

• #1,567
Disneyland in California has followed Walt Disney World in raising the admission price.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2006_Jan_04/k.OCD.1136400753.html

Zz.

• #1,568
Pictures from today at Epcot.

Zz.

epcot19cd.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6048/epcot27ab.jpg

epcot38zb.jpg

• #1,569
ZapperZ said:
Disneyland in California has followed Walt Disney World in raising the admission price.
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2006_Jan_04/k.OCD.1136400753.html
Zz.
AGAIN! Jeezy Kreezy!
I hope that us SoCal residents will still get reduced admission, at least on occasion.

• #1,570
ZapperZ said:
Pictures from today at Epcot.
Zz.
epcot19cd.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6048/epcot27ab.jpg
[PLAIN]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5356/epcot38zb.jpg[/QUOTE]The[/URL] first one is my favorite.

Great pictures Zz!

• #1,571
Yes, Zz is doing an amazing job with the photography stuff.

$50.00 per day for a grown-up? Per day? Yikes.

Edit: Right. Links to German Christmas ornaments, please, Moonbear.

• #1,572
Uh oh, G, are you into the German Christmas ornaments too? I'll look up the site of the place I ordered from most recently when I get home...the boxes are still out since my Christmas decorations are still up. Their prices were fair, and everything shipped in one piece and quickly.

Park admission is pretty expensive, but when you do it as a package, like I did, you pretty much only pay for the first two days, and then it's really discounted for each additional day beyond that (I think it was only $2 difference between a 4 day and a 5 day pass when I made my reservations...it's definitely worth booking ahead).

I've also discovered that if you stay at the Disney Resorts, if you're a big eater, the dining plan they offer is a good deal. If you're a small eater like me, I'm certainly getting my money's worth, but am also majorly over-stuffing myself! It's too much food for me!

• #1,573
More pictures from yesterday. These are from Downtown Disney taken on my shopping excursion.

Zz.

dd13mr.jpg

dd27kg.jpg

[URL]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4921/dd31ma.jpg

• #1,574
Evo said:
The first one is my favorite.
Great pictures Zz!
Yeah, I would have to agree! Ooooh! Aaaaah! Pretty!

• #1,575
Evo said:
They would have to prove we ate it first. :devil:
I've got to find some way to go next time.

ME THREE! :biggrin: