Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #1,576
Well, Zz is already making plans for his next two trips in June and September, so some more folks should do this next time. He knows more about the parks than the cast members. I definitely recommend the Zz Disney Travel Service. :biggrin: I can't believe I have to go home tomorrow already though. :cry: It's been a great vacation...I didn't go crazy and try to go to everything in every park, just spent a nice balance of time between parks, going on just some rides and enjoying walking around, meeting new people, eating way too much, and relaxing pool side.

Since I slept through most of today, I'll be hitting the Magic Kingdom one last time tomorrow morning and early afternoon before I have to return for the bus back to the airport...I'm going to get to those last few rides I've been wanting to go on but have not had time or have had too long of lines to get on earlier in the week.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,577
Moonbear said:
Well, Zz is already making plans for his next two trips in June and September, so some more folks should do this next time. He knows more about the parks than the cast members. I definitely recommend the Zz Disney Travel Service. :biggrin:

You forgot one important feature of the service - IT'S FREE!

:)

Zz.

• #1,578
More pictures from today's activities. The first is the view from the ferry as it makes its way towards The Magic Kingdom.

out11zo.jpg

The second is the picture of the Christmas tree and the amazing lobby of The Animal Kingdom Lodge.

out37iq.jpg

The last is the view of the wildlife one gets out of one's room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Zz.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4917/out44bb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,579
So I assume you are having a great time over there. I am just realizing that my vacation is over. It was a good run though. The highlight of our entire trip there was when we got to open the park as the selected miltary family. The gatekeeper was also nice enough to give us two no-string-attached passes, as he put it, which are essentially fast passes that can be used at any time. We got to drive through Magic Kingdom before it opened in this interesting fire engine looking car. Of all the rides that we went on we thought that the best ride was Soarin'. What do you think? Also did Mission Space honestly kill someone?
-Scott

• #1,580
The last is the view of the wildlife one gets out of one's room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Cool, Zz - now that is something I could go for. Can I play with the big cats? :biggrin:

• #1,581
Astronuc said:
Cool, Zz - now that is something I could go for. Can I play with the big cats? :biggrin:
The Wilderness Lodge was a beautiful resort. The pictures Disney put up on their travel site didn't do it justice! If I visit again, I'm seriously thinking of staying there next time. It's not as convenient to the parks, so a bit less crowded, and with the animal park surrouding the lodge, all the nice shade trees around the property, and the pool being secluded amidst a scenery of rocks and taller plants, it was about as tranquil as you can get on Disney property (it IS Disney afterall, so there are those really short people called children running around no matter where you go :-p :biggrin:).

• #1,582
Well, I love animals and I would appreciate less crowded. Hey, I could go visit the Withlacoochee Swamp. :biggrin:

• #1,583
Moonbear said:
The Wilderness Lodge was a beautiful resort. The pictures Disney put up on their travel site didn't do it justice! If I visit again, I'm seriously thinking of staying there next time. It's not as convenient to the parks, so a bit less crowded, and with the animal park surrouding the lodge, all the nice shade trees around the property, and the pool being secluded amidst a scenery of rocks and taller plants, it was about as tranquil as you can get on Disney property (it IS Disney afterall, so there are those really short people called children running around no matter where you go :-p :biggrin:).

Moonbie means the Animal Kingdom Lodge, not the Wilderness Lodge. She must have been tired. :)

The Wilderness Lodge is also set out in the woods with an impressive lobby also, but no animals. So that is certainly another option if one wants a resort that looks secluded. While the Wilderness Lodge has no wild animals, unlike the Animal Kingdom Lodge, it has a convenient access to the Magic Kingdom via a boat ride.

Zz.

• #1,584
Rumors are again running rampant about the impending deal of Pixar and Disney, causing Pixar's stock to soar to record high.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-bk-pixar010506,0,2951124.story

Zz.

• #1,585
Welcome home Disney trekers! Great photos! Looks like everyone had a good time. Even Chuck:rolleyes:

• #1,586
I've just dropped off Moonbie back at her resort for her to catch the bus to the airport. I'm going to miss her <sniff>. She really made this trip very special, especially on my birthday.

We still have a couple of days left here at WDW, and will leave Orlando late Sunday. So there's still plenty of time to do more stuff, and do more shopping, especially for pins.

Will upload pictures from today later... Here's hoping that other PF'ers will consider joining us on our future trips to Disney World.

Zz.

• #1,587
More pictures from today.

The first one is the outside of It's A Small World. We did this very early in the morning, so it wasn't crowded and we managed to walk right up to the boat.

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/8181/mk16tt.jpg

We then, of course, did the Dumbo ride!

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/2159/mk39dy.jpg

We then had lunch at the Crystal Palace. This is another of those dinning with the characters. This time, it was with Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglet. The food was unusually good for a buffet restaurant at the Magic Kingdom. The picture here is the tree they had in the restaurant. Be warned that there is a higher than average ratio of kids to adults in this restaurant.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5358/mk28kx.jpg

Finally, we went to the Grand Floridian resort, hoping to see the Gingerbread House. Unfortunately, they took it down 2 days ago! So we missed it. We still got to see the amazing tree they had in the lobby, so this is the picture of that.

mk49hf.jpg

It was a very good day...

Zz.

• #1,589
Well, I guess Moonbear has departed.

Have a safe trip Moonbear.

Zz - I guess Chuck and your other friends are still there. How many of you this trip?

• #1,590
Well, the ONLY way I'm ever going to Disney World is with Zz! :approve:

• #1,591
Astronuc said:
Well, I guess Moonbear has departed.
Have a safe trip Moonbear.
Zz - I guess Chuck and your other friends are still there. How many of you this trip?

There are only three of us on this trip. However, I'm meeting up with a couple of my friends tomorrow. They are Disney cast members. So I don't consider them to be counted on this trip.

Zz.

• #1,592
Evo said:
Well, the ONLY way I'm ever going to Disney World is with Zz! :approve:

You'd better! I'd be crushed if you go with someone else!

:)

Zz.

Last edited:
  • #1,593
More pictures...

On this trip, I'm staying at my new "home", which is the Saratoga Springs as part of the Disney Vacation Club resort. This is the view from my balcony, one during the day, and the other at night. It looks directly at Pleasure Island in Downtown Disney.

Zz.

dd24gx.jpg

dd18wv.jpg

Attachments

• dd24gx.jpg
    dd24gx.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 262
  • #1,594
ZapperZ said:
The new baby elephant at Disney's Animal Kingdom made its public appearence at the safari ride. Too bad we didn't get to see it while we were on this attraction.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/pictures/LBV20.htm
Zz.
I wish I could have stayed a few more days to see that! I really wanted to see the baby.

Yep, I'm back home. It's 20 degrees with snow flurries. :cry: I want to be back at Disney. Do you think I can get the mouse to adopt me?

It was a great last day, although a bit chilly. The cold seemed to have kept the crowds away from the park, so we had little to no wait to get on rides all morning, which pretty much meant we got onto everything at the Magic Kingdom...the Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, The Carousel of Progress (that hasn't made much progress :smile:), The Tomorrowland Transit Authority, yes, the Dumbo Ride, and since Zz "dragged" me onto the Dumbo ride, I made him join me on the carousel. :biggrin:

Lunch was fantastic...it was fun dining with the characters, and the food was excellent too...much better than I was expecting. I had expected that the buffet would be more basic, and you were really paying for the characters to provide the entertainment, but the buffet had a wonderful selection.

Oh, Astronuc, Disney also has a campground if you'd prefer that over the posh hotel experience. :biggrin: They really do their best to provide something for everyone and to just make everything easy. I didn't even have to figure out what time to go to the airport...they left me a little note yesterday at the room telling me what time to get the Disney Magical Express bus back to the airport, which got me there in plenty of time.

• #1,595
Moonbear said:
I wish I could have stayed a few more days to see that! I really wanted to see the baby.
Yep, I'm back home. It's 20 degrees with snow flurries. :cry: I want to be back at Disney. Do you think I can get the mouse to adopt me?

Oh, the mouse will adopt you any time, but it'll cost ya. It's called the Disney Vacation Club! :)

[Remember: Money Grabbing Mouse]

Since the Animal Kingdom Lodge seems to be a major selling point for some people, I thought I'd post more pictures from there, so here they are. Just think, you could see giraffes out of your hotel window each day!

Zz.

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/9527/akl17re.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8681/akl23jj.jpg

akl30kz.jpg

• #1,596
Moonbear said:
Wow, that warm! :biggrin: That's T-shirt and bare feet weather.
Moonbear said:
Oh, Astronuc, Disney also has a campground if you'd prefer that over the posh hotel experience. :biggrin:
Cool. :cool:

• #1,597
Oh, when we were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge eating at the Boma restaurant there, we had a fabulous tea called African Autumn. It was such a tasty tea that I immediately dragged Zz and Chuck off to the gift shop to see if we could buy it there (okay, I didn't have to drag anyone, they wanted to pin shop anyway, so it worked out for everyone). I was disappointed to find I couldn't buy any tea there, but I've just found it on Amazon! Zz, just in case you're interested, I thought I'd share that. I know I'll be ordering the loose tea (you can also get it in "sachets" ...you know, those things us ordinary, non-gourmet types call tea bags :-p). It is just the thing to sip while sitting in front of a fire reading books.

• #1,598
Moonbear said:
Oh, when we were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge eating at the Boma restaurant there, we had a fabulous tea called African Autumn. It was such a tasty tea that I immediately dragged Zz and Chuck off to the gift shop to see if we could buy it there (okay, I didn't have to drag anyone, they wanted to pin shop anyway, so it worked out for everyone). I was disappointed to find I couldn't buy any tea there, but I've just found it on Amazon! Zz, just in case you're interested, I thought I'd share that. I know I'll be ordering the loose tea (you can also get it in "sachets" ...you know, those things us ordinary, non-gourmet types call tea bags :-p). It is just the thing to sip while sitting in front of a fire reading books.

Thanks Moonbie. I'm sure I'll order it when I get home.

We had a very long day. Went early in the morning to Disney/MGM Studios (extra Magic Hours for Disney Resort guests), and then hopped over to the Wilderness Lodge for lunch as Whispering Canyon, which contrary to its name, is one of the loudest places I've ever eaten in, and then ended the day at the Magic Kingdom.

Tomorrow, reality will sets in. Will spend the day at Epcot before we make our way back to the airport late afternoon. This vacation is almost over. :(

Will post pictures from today later..

Zz.

• #1,599
Pictures from today. This will probably be the last pictures I'm posting while I'm at WDW. After this, I'll post more after I get home.

This picture is the main building at the Wilderness Lodge.

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/5900/out18iz.jpg

This is the view from the boat approaching the Wilderness Lodge.

out28nn.jpg

"Follow the yellow brick road!", from Wizard of Oz in The Great Movie Ride.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5237/out44bm.jpg

And this is the front shot of The Tower of Terror, where Moonbie couldn't stop laughing all the way down...

out39hv.jpg

Zz.

• #1,600
*sniff sniff* I miss it already! :cry: Thanks for the pictures of the Wilderness Lodge. It's going to be tough choosing a hotel for the next visit. I suppose the only solution will be to keep visiting until I've tried them all. :biggrin:

• #1,601
Moonbear said:
*sniff sniff* I miss it already! :cry:

See? Now you know how I feel. It used to be that I would be already planning on when I will go back the day after I got back from the last trip. Now, with the Disney Vacation Club thingy, I already have the next 2 trips already set. :)

Thanks for the pictures of the Wilderness Lodge. It's going to be tough choosing a hotel for the next visit. I suppose the only solution will be to keep visiting until I've tried them all. :biggrin:

I would certainly recommend the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge, especially if you like seclusion. For the moderate resort, definitely Port Orleans' French Quarter and Riverside. So those are something to consider.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I'm dead tired, and have to get up early to pack tomorrow, before spending our last day here at Epcot. I want to do Soarin' at least a couple of times tomorrow before we're through (we did Tower of Terror twice today).

Zz.

• #1,602
How were the crowds today? Was there a lot of traffic and people with the marathon going on? I saw yesterday that there were additional buses at the resort taking people to some marathon expo thing (saw them while waiting for my bus to the airport). Don't know what that's all about...I've never heard of an expo to go with a marathon.

• #1,603
I'm really glad to know you arrived home safe and sound, MBear. You and Zz convinced me that Disney is worth going to see. It sounds as if you all had a hoot. And I will say this: the company you take along with you on vacation makes all the difference in the world. You could travel to the most desirable, locale on the planet, and if you're with the wrong person/people, the whole thing is going to suck. Go to a swamp with the right folks, life just doesn't get any better.

What I'm trying to say, here, is, while it appears Disneyland is a nifty keen place to see, it also strikes me that the company you all had made it even better.

Edit: stupid spelling mistake

Last edited:
  • #1,604
G, you're very right, the company makes a big difference. I never enjoyed Disney so much when I was dragging parents along with me. :rolleyes: Now I can't wait until my nephew is old enough to go to Disney. It'll be fun to visit with a kid along just to see his reaction to everything. :biggrin:

• #1,605
I'm finally home. I'm happy to be back, but sad to leave Disney World. :(

So, I'm plotting for the next trip already, which will be the weekend at the end of January. This is to do the special DVC and Passholder preview of Expedition Everest, and they're giving out a commemorative pin and lanyard for it. How can I refuse?

The traffic yesterday and today, especially in the morning, were awful. A lot of roads around Disney World were closed for the marathon. But we managed since we know alternate route to get around. I pity the clueless tourists who can only follow the street signs.

Anyway, a lot of unpacking to do, and then off to bed since I go back to work tomorrow. Will report more and upload more pictures when I get the chance during the upcoming week.

Here's hoping more PF'ers will consider going to WDW with us next time.

Zz.

• #1,606
The weekend at the end of January? As in: January, 2006?

• #1,607
So Zz, have you ever thought about getting a teaching job at a local (to WDW that is) university? :biggrin:

• #1,608
Yes, he's actually going back this month. :rolleyes: He needs a 12-step program. :smile:

• #1,609
Moonbear said:
Yes, he's actually going back this month. :rolleyes: He needs a 12-step program. :smile:
One each month? :smile:

• #1,610
I wish I could go back once a month. But this is just something special, and only for a weekend.

As for looking for a job near there, don't think that I haven't looked. But as much as I love WDW, I also love my profession. I don't think I can just do teaching. That will cause a complete hault to my advacement as a physicist. There are also no outstanding physics research activities (at least in the areas that I am interested in) going on at the local universities around central Florida.

So for now, I will stay put here in good old Chicago and make my yearly trips down to Orlando.

In case anyone might be considering of going to WDW this year, my plans so far are:

Jan 27 to 29
May 26 to Jun 4 (this is a Disneyland/Disney World trip)
Sept. 2 to Sept. 10.

We may not do the holidays this year, i.e. the Holidays of 2006/2007. But things may change. I seriously recommend, for those who can make it, the Sept. trip (over Labor Day week). The crowds are thinner than most times and the rates for hotels and stuff are really good.

Anyway, have to catch up on work stuff. At least I brought a few Disney stuff I bought with me to work to add to the "museum" collection.

Zz.