PF PHOTO CONTEST - Well-Beaten Path (10/11-10/17)

In summary: It can be a sidewalk, a hiking trail, a road, or anything else that has been walked on multiple times.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Well-Beaten Path

This week, the pictures must show a walking path that is well-used.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Picture290-1.jpg

Nice shot Glondor, wheres the cave?

The cave is in Cuba.

IMG_0932.jpg

Good to see pictures from you again, scorpa. You've been absent for such a long time!

:)

Zz.

Thanks Zz, things have been so hectic lately pretty much everything but school has been on the backburner. I'm hoping things will turn around before I go insane haha.

Sweet, I have a nice one. I'll post it tomorrow (on different computer).

Hypatia I'd say that's southern Colorado but the scrub Oak are too tall and straight, lol.

Looks like Edward wins...

Binzing, mines a old Indian trail that runs about 100 miles in Michigan, it was much easier to follow in summer.

2640975759_c20dc75a6a.jpg

The path on Torc Mountain in Ireland was so well beaten that they had to cover it over with old railway sleepers to prevent soil erosion.

I really love that one Edward.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the time I walked the path over the dunes to get to the ocean and back I was one tired out old dude. The path meandered around through the wild grass making the trip much further than I had expected.

Last edited:
{image removed}

Charles Bridge in Prague

Marzena said:
Charles Bridge in Prague

I don't think a bridge like that would qualify to be considered as a "well-beaten" path, since it is paved. The picture should show a path that, for the most part, is well-beaten due to repeated use.

You may submit another picture if you wish.

Zz.

Point taken, Marzena is already asleep (almost 1 a.m. here), so she will not know before tomorrow.

This is effect of nuances that show in translation. Path may refer to a sidewalk - which is paved. That's not to say you are wrong - you are the boss, so you are right by definition :wink: - just to explain why we thought this picture will fit.

Borek said:
Point taken, Marzena is already asleep (almost 1 a.m. here), so she will not know before tomorrow.

This is effect of nuances that show in translation. Path may refer to a sidewalk - which is paved. That's not to say you are wrong - you are the boss, so you are right by definition :wink: - just to explain why we thought this picture will fit.

Not a problem. I fully expected that there will be things lost in translation, which is why I often try to explain the theme a bit (or too verbose for some people). When we refer to a "well-beaten path", it usually refer to a path that was created because people kept walking on it over and over again until a clear path is made, rather than a path that was "formally" made.

Zz.

I have 3 different pics I am debating the merits of, I guess I will now be able to reject the paved sidewalk past the Witch slide at Enchanted Forest. o:) Down to 2.

Here is a path that is well-beaten by tiny feet. One of my chipmunk friends lives in a rock pile hidden by the weeds in the background, and she takes the same path to the front patio every single time. She pokes her head out of the weeds, scans for danger, and high-tails it across the lawn. Her caution is well-advised because there is a family of broad-winged hawks nesting farther back on my property.

chipmunkpath.jpg

turbo-1 said:
Here is a path that is well-beaten by tiny feet. One of my chipmunk friends lives in a rock pile hidden by the weeds in the background, and she takes the same path to the front patio every single time. She pokes her head out of the weeds, scans for danger, and high-tails it across the lawn. Her caution is well-advised because there is a family of broad-winged hawks nesting farther back on my property.

chipmunkpath.jpg

That is sick.

Wish I saw it crawl across the path.

Taken near Bar Harbor, Maine at Ship Harbor.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2871/maine2008067gw6.jpg

JasonRox said:
That is sick.

Wish I saw it crawl across the path.
I've never managed to have a camera ready when she was crossing the lawn, and it only lasts a couple of seconds at most. The path shows up best in low light, and by early evening she was done working anyway.

you could always get one of those little bear traps. Once that thing clamps down on one of its legs you should be able to get a few dozen pictures before it can get its foot gnawed off.

I don't need to trap chipmunks. The tamer ones (including this one) run to me for sunflower seeds and will jump in my hands to get them. Two of them actually come on a dead run and climb up my pants and shirt looking in my pockets for seeds.

JasonRox said:
Taken near Bar Harbor, Maine at Ship Harbor.

As in the earlier issue with Marzena's picture, can we consider this as a "well-beaten path" when it is covered with gravel?

Zz.

Many trails are maintained to protect fauna or the area from erosion, so that people understand they must not wander off the pathway. If this were the case in Jasons photo, it should stay.

path_marzena1.jpg

Marzena said:
Mam nadzieję, że to zostanie zaakceptowane :wink:

Translation: Hopefully this one will get accepted :wink:

That is the case, indeed, Hypatia. I'm surprised Jason actually got a shot of that piece of trail when it was devoid of tourists. The ecology of Mt. Desert Island (home to Acadia National Park) is fragile, and visitors are asked to stay on marked trails as much as possible. People volunteer every year to help repair washouts, excessive wear and erosion on the walking trails and the traditional "carriage trails". These trails are well-used, so they must be maintained with materials that resist wear and erosion - thus the stone borders and the crushed rock walking surface.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I've never managed to have a camera ready when she was crossing the lawn, and it only lasts a couple of seconds at most. The path shows up best in low light, and by early evening she was done working anyway.

Just knowing it lives around is pretty neat!

I wouldn't care so much about the pictures. It would be nice though.

One time we had a rabit in a cage in our backyard (family choice, not mine) and it would feed the wild rabbits that came by the cage. They definitely communicated. I can just imagine that rabbit just wanted to run in the wild. I wish I could have let it go. I was just unsure if it would survive (like able to feed itself excluding getting hit by car). I rather live my life young and free, then die tragically, than live old and restricted.

If you look back at the end of the path, you'll see a dark chamber in the weeds. It's like she cleared out a little bower from which to do her surveillance. The grasses she cleared out are probably her bedding in her home under the rock pile.

path.JPG

Walking to the winter

path_marcin1.jpg

Walking through the summer :wink: