Compute ∇(1/r): Solving a Sphere Integral

In summary, the question asks to show that integrating the gradient of 1/r over the surface of any sphere centered at the origin results in -4*pi, using the formula for the gradient in spherical coordinates. This demonstrates that defining the laplacian of 1/r as a delta function at the origin is valid in terms of Gauss' theorem.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

By computing ∇(1/r) show that

∫∇²(1/r).dV = -4Pi if the volume 'V' is a sphere containing the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

∫∇²(1/r).dV = ∫∇(1/r).dS But I can't differentiate (1/r) since the sphere contains the origin. I am wondering if there's any other way to tackle this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hhhmortal said:

Homework Statement

By computing ∇(1/r) show that

∫∇²(1/r).dV = -4Pi if the volume 'V' is a sphere containing the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

∫∇²(1/r).dV = ∫∇(1/r).dS But I can't different (1/r) since the sphere contains the origin. I am wondering if there's any other way to tackle this.

You try to use this?

[tex]\nabla(\frac{1}{R})=\frac{\hat{R}}{R^{2}}[/tex]

yungman said:
You try to use this?

[tex]\nabla(\frac{1}{R})=\frac{\hat{R}}{R^{2}}[/tex]

How did you get this? I don't think I can differentiate it since the origin lies in the sphere, so the gradient of 1/0 can't happen.

[tex]\vec{R}=\hat{x}(x-x')+\hat{y}(y-y')+\hat{z}(z-z')[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{R}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x')^{2}+(y-y')^{2}+(z-z')^{2}}}\Rightarrow \nabla(\frac{1}{R}) = \hat{x}\frac{\partial \frac{1}{R}}{\partial x}+\hat{y}\frac{\partial \frac{1}{R}}{\partial y}+\hat{z}\frac{\partial \frac{1}{R}}{\partial z}[/tex]

[tex]\nabla(\frac{1}{R}) = -\frac{\hat{x}(x-x')+\hat{y}(y-y')+\hat{z}(z-z')}{((x-x')^{2}+(y-y')^{2}+(z-z')^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} = -\frac{\hat{R}}{R^{2}}[/tex]

Yes this won't work at the origin. That is the reason usually problem specify not including origin. Origin is treated differently...something like Direc Delta function or something like that. I am not familiar with that.

yungman said:
[tex]\vec{R}=\hat{x}(x-x')+\hat{y}(y-y')+\hat{z}(z-z')[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{R}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x')^{2}+(y-y')^{2}+(z-z')^{2}}}\Rightarrow \nabla(\frac{1}{R}) = \hat{x}\frac{\partial \frac{1}{R}}{\partial x}+\hat{y}\frac{\partial \frac{1}{R}}{\partial y}+\hat{z}\frac{\partial \frac{1}{R}}{\partial z}[/tex]

[tex]\nabla(\frac{1}{R}) = -\frac{\hat{x}(x-x')+\hat{y}(y-y')+\hat{z}(z-z')}{((x-x')^{2}+(y-y')^{2}+(z-z')^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}} = -\frac{\hat{R}}{R^{2}}[/tex]

Yes this won't work at the origin. That is the reason usually problem specify not including origin. Origin is treated differently...something like Direc Delta function or something like that. I am not familiar with that.

Oh ok thanks, that way is much more clear! I still don't know how I could possibly get -4Pi without differentiating (1/r), can anyone help on this please!

You aren't supposed to actually integrate the laplacian of 1/r over the interior of the sphere. You can't, it's not even defined at the origin. You are just supposed to show that integrating grad(1/r) over the surface of any sphere centered at the origin is -4*pi, as yungman said. That shows DEFINING laplacian of 1/r to be a dirac delta function at the origin makes sense in terms of Gauss' theorem. Note that laplacian of 1/r is equal to zero EXCEPT at the origin.

Dick said:
You aren't supposed to actually integrate the laplacian of 1/r over the interior of the sphere. You can't, it's not even defined at the origin. You are just supposed to show that integrating grad(1/r) over the surface of any sphere centered at the origin is -4*pi, as yungman said. That shows DEFINING laplacian of 1/r to be a dirac delta function at the origin makes sense in terms of Gauss' theorem. Note that laplacian of 1/r is equal to zero EXCEPT at the origin.

Oh right! so,

∫∇(1/r).δ(r-r).dS = ∫∇(1/r).dS

we know the dirac delta function will be 1, so now I can take the gradient of (1/r) and integrate it over the surface of the sphere to get -4Pi.

I'm confused as to what would happen if the dirac delta function is zero?

Just for future reference, here's a handy formula:

[tex]\vec{\nabla}= \hat{r}\dfrac{\partial}{\partial r} + \hat{\phi}\dfrac{1}{r}\dfrac{\partial}{\partial\phi} + \hat{\theta}\dfrac{1}{r sin(\phi)}\dfrac{\partial}{\partial\theta}[/tex]

You can just "multiply" this operator by whatever function you want to take the gradient of, and you'll be able to do it in spherical coordinates. You can see that in the case of a spherically symmetric function like [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex], only the first term matters, which makes things even easier.

hhhmortal said:
Oh right! so,

∫∇(1/r).δ(r-r).dS = ∫∇(1/r).dS

we know the dirac delta function will be 1, so now I can take the gradient of (1/r) and integrate it over the surface of the sphere to get -4Pi.

I'm confused as to what would happen if the dirac delta function is zero?

No, no, no, no. The delta function isn't in the surface integral, it's in the volume integral. You are supposed to show that the surface integral of grad(1/r) is the same as the volume integral of a 'laplacian' if you choose to define the 'laplacian' to be a delta function.

I think you can assume that the origin is not on the surface of the sphere, so you can differentiate. And then just integrate.
([tex]
dS=r^2\sin{\theta}d\theta d\phi
[/tex])

FAQ: Compute ∇(1/r): Solving a Sphere Integral

1. What is the meaning of ∇(1/r)?

The symbol ∇ represents the gradient operator, and 1/r represents the function of the inverse of the distance. Therefore, ∇(1/r) is the gradient of the inverse distance function, which represents the change in the function with respect to the coordinates.

2. Why is it important to solve a sphere integral?

Sphere integrals are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They allow us to calculate the volume, surface area, and other properties of spherical objects, which are often encountered in real-world problems.

3. What is the process for solving a sphere integral?

The process for solving a sphere integral involves converting the integral into spherical coordinates, using trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand, and then integrating over the appropriate ranges for each variable.

4. Can you explain the physical significance of computing ∇(1/r)?

Computing ∇(1/r) is useful in many physical applications, such as calculating the electric potential due to a point charge or the gravitational potential due to a massive object. It allows us to understand the behavior of fields and forces in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any applications of solving a sphere integral in real life?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving a sphere integral. For example, in engineering, it is used to calculate the moment of inertia of a rotating object, while in physics, it is used to determine the flux of a vector field through a spherical surface. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.

Back