Was the Physics Forums Ultrasound Post an April Fools' Joke?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary, someone from chello.nl (a Dutch website) managed to get access to the image I posted on my website and before it was posted publicly, someone from the UK (Ivan) and someone from Finland (Zapper) also managed to get access to it. Moonie and Russ, who claimed they knew nothing about the trip, suddenly started talking to other staff members after seeming to disappear for a while. This seems to be the confirmation that the whole trip was a joke.
rootX
I just got april fooled
Check out the ultrasound of Greg Jr. !

:mad:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
haha you goofball

Too sleepy :zzz:

I felt something fishy when i found no closeup shots.

I felt something fishy when I didn't see Astronuc's beard.

You got me :biggrin:
I haven't clicked on the "ultrasound" link and I believed it. Then I searched for a "wedding" thread and found this one instead. And rollerblading, haha.

I almost believed that wedding thing here until I clicked that ultrasound link, nice prank.

I got suspicious about the time Moonie and Russ claimed they knew nothing, yet after few posts they catched up with other staff members. So...

Lisa! said:

...I set the trap. Image I posted was hosted on my server, so I could easily checked in server logs who and from where tried to access it. And while everyone pretended to be at some undisclosed location all seemed to post from home. Monique posted something - and just before she posted someone form chello.nl fetched the image. Before Ivan posted image was fetched only be people with US reverse domains and by someone from UK and someone from Finland. IIRC Zapper posted something and just before he posted someone from IL fetched the image. So it seemed like there was something fishy about whole story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got me too, but anyways, it was 7.30 am, regardless of april 1st :D

Borek said:
I got suspicious about the time Moonie and Russ claimed they knew nothing, yet after few posts they catched up with other staff members. So...

...I set the trap. Image I posted was hosted on my server, so I could easily checked in server logs who and from where tried to access it. And while everyone pretended to be at some undisclosed location all seemed to post from home. Monique posted something - and just before she posted someone form chello.nl fetched the image. Before Ivan posted image was fetched only be people with US reverse domains and by someone from UK and someone from Finland. IIRC Zapper posted something and just before he posted someone from IL fetched the image. So it seemed like there was something fishy about whole story.

Very sneaky indeed, Borek!

Nice one, Greg! :approve: Count me among the April Fooled! :smile:

Lisa! said:
So true!:biggrin:
I doubted the trip when Monique said that she joined the trip!
What, is it so unbelievable that I would take a vacation? :cry: actually that's true..

If I told you that I'm going to the Seychelles next week, would you believe that? :biggrin:

I didn't even look at the ultrasound, I wasn't fooled. I don't believe anything I hear today.

Borek said:
You're too clever!

I was almost falling for it. Well written Greg. I found it too suspicious that so many PFers had been able to gather. The end blew it and the URL of the link confirmed it.

Oh man. You got me. So when is the real wedding?

I felt that something was fishy about that whole trip. Never figured it would end like this though, very well thought out guys. Definitely had me fooled for a few minutes when I started reading that little story.

Phrak said:
Oh man. You got me. So when is the real wedding?

When MIH is pregnant for real! :)

Zz.

Got me you b@stards! :biggrin:

KrisOhn said:
I felt something fishy when I didn't see Astronuc's beard.

HAHAHA! I should've noticed!

I'm glad we managed to fool at least some people. We were starting to worry it was getting too obvious when we had those miscommunications about who was and wasn't supposed to be at the wedding.

Moonbear said:
We were starting to worry it was getting too obvious when we had those miscommunications about who was and wasn't supposed to be at the wedding.

Yes, that was the moment when I get suspicious. But your later random comments (sun burnt Berkeman, Greg editing his post and so on) were perfect. I guess you had a lot of fun just playing your roles :biggrin:

The bridge you went rollerblading under? Oh Greg.

Nice joke you guys! The story was a hoot to follow.

It's still too bad that berkeman got so badly sunburned, though. :wink:

GeorginaS said:
The bridge you went rollerblading under? Oh Greg.

Nice joke you guys! The story was a hoot to follow.

It's still too bad that berkeman got so badly sunburned, though. :wink:

Here is the first version that we agreed was too long and revealing.

We've both been part of PF for many years yet never really connected. It took six years before MIH and I started to "find" each other. It slowly happened once we became friends on facebook two years ago. We would make small chat a few times a week. I was impressed with how easy it was to banter away. About three months of banter I was traveling near her home town and we decided to meet up for some coffee. I can still remember her walking towards the shop and thinking "wow she is really attractive". We hugged and dang did she smell great. Haha just little things I remember. Anyway, we had a very pleasant talk for a few hours about PF and ourselves. MIH had to visit some family later that night, but we planned to have lunch the next day. What can I say, after that lunch I left with a bit of a crush. As I left for home my heart wanted to stay! Over the coming weeks our chatting became more frequent and longer. I don't think any staff at PF suspected anything but would make a comment about how cute and silly we were being towards each other.

This past thanksgiving my entire family was all over the world so I had no one to spend it with. MIH graciously offered me to come and spend it with her and her family. I hopped joyfully on the plane. Little did I know what would transpire that night, haha. I met most of her family which was very nice. Nothing unusually there, all good. But later that night we were playing the game "Taboo" in the family room and the door bell rang. It happened to be one of we ex boyfriends drunk and wanting to talk with her. Talk about uncomfortable! I did something that is a bit out of character (and a couple glasses of wine helped) and I went to the door. I asked MIH to hold back and go back in the house. I then went outside and closed the front door. I had a little chat with the ex boyfriend outside and persuaded him to leave. In fact he did leave and as I got back inside no one said much, but I could tell from MIH and her family's eyes and smiles that I got major respect for solving the incident. Long story short, that was the start of MIH and I being official!

Over the next few months we would fly back and forth every other week to see each other. Early February 2010 I surprised MIH with a ring outside the coffee shop we first met at while on a walk at night. She of course said yes! For years we joked about dreaming to go to Bora Bora. I said let's get married there and invite some PF members! Looking at our schedules we didn't see any time to get married for a long time and we wanted it now! Thankfully we let the staff know and many could make it out to Bora Bora the next month for our wedding. It was such an amazing time. Monique was hit on one night by a hairy old drunk at the bar as we laughed. While jet skiing Dion accidentally rammed into mine and MIH flew off. Moonbear and Evo were great story tellers the entire time and had us cracking up. Most were only there for four days, but MIH and I stayed for a total of 10 days and used it as our honeymoon!

What do you mean there wasn't any wedding? There are pictures and everything! :cry:

I want virtual Bora Bora wedding cake!

You had me right to...

"Once I got back I proposed to her under a bridge we'd always stop at while rollerblading."

Nah, Greg's got more class than that.

Then who are the people in the pictures?

leroyjenkens said:
They are the real PF'ers in Bora Bora, it was just the wedding that was a joke.

I got half fooled. I forgot that 1st of April is the day of jokes, though I was doubting the story was true... but for a moment I became convinced that it was. Good job!

leroyjenkens said:

If you Topeka "Bora Bora lunch" it's the first hit in images - it's a tour operator's site.

When MiH posted the pic in the thread on this in the Feedback Forum, I made that discovery, so I had my doubts about the Bora Bora story :wink:.

mgb_phys said:
They are the real PF'ers in Bora Bora, it was just the wedding that was a joke.

Everything was fake. No PF'ers are in those photos :D In fact those are just images I took from google images lol. The top header is also fake with me and MIH. I took one of her fb photos and pasted myself next to her. Works pretty well because it's black and white. That takes a lot of color mismatches out.

The funny part is that they said Russ joined the trip but his name wasn't among the PFers who attended the wedding. on the other hand I don't remember cristo saying anything about joining the trip but his picture and name is there...:biggrin:

Monique said:
What, is it so unbelievable that I would take a vacation? :cry: actually that's true..

If I told you that I'm going to the Seychelles next week, would you believe that? :biggrin:

:smile:

Since you live in Europe it was a bit unlikely to join them!:biggrin:

Lisa! said:
on the other hand I don't remember cristo saying anything about joining the trip but his picture and name is there...:biggrin:

cristo had probably had too many pina coladas to be able to type :biggrin:

Seriously, though, I did cost a flight to bora bora, and the cheapest I found would cost a monsterous £4000 !

Greg Bernhardt said:
Everything was fake. No PF'ers are in those photos :D In fact those are just images I took from google images lol. The top header is also fake with me and MIH. I took one of her fb photos and pasted myself next to her. Works pretty well because it's black and white. That takes a lot of color mismatches out.

In other words, no PF'ers were harmed in the execution of this April Fools.

I did have my whip ready just in case...

Zz.

I thought the dead give-awy was me by myself on a jet ski. :eek:

Evo said:
I thought the dead give-awy was me by myself on a jet ski. :eek:
That should have been an instant tip-off. The jet ski wasn't smashed, burning or sinking. Naw! Can't be Evo.