Was the Physics Forums Ultrasound Post an April Fools' Joke?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary, someone from chello.nl (a Dutch website) managed to get access to the image I posted on my website and before it was posted publicly, someone from the UK (Ivan) and someone from Finland (Zapper) also managed to get access to it. Moonie and Russ, who claimed they knew nothing about the trip, suddenly started talking to other staff members after seeming to disappear for a while. This seems to be the confirmation that the whole trip was a joke.
I have some earrings like that, too! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
RB, I *love* your Math Is Hard blonde hair. :biggrin:
Thanks!

I was using a mirror, since I was styling it myself. That's why mine looks reversed from MIH.

RedbellyAvatar_MIH02.gif
. . [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/thumbs/avatar2024_20.gif[/INDENT][/INDENT]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98 said:
Thanks!

I was using a mirror, since I was styling it myself. That's why mine looks reversed from MIH.

RedbellyAvatar_MIH02.gif
. . [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/thumbs/avatar2024_20.gif[/INDENT][/INDENT][/QUOTE]

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Redbelly98 said:
Thanks!

RedbellyAvatar_MIH02.gif
. . [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/thumbs/avatar2024_20.gif[/INDENT][/INDENT][/QUOTE]:smile:​

Good joke!
And I'm pleased no one is pregnant without knowing about gestational diabetes.

Borek said:
I got suspicious about the time Moonie and Russ claimed they knew nothing, yet after few posts they catched up with other staff members. So...

...I set the trap. Image I posted was hosted on my server, so I could easily checked in server logs who and from where tried to access it. And while everyone pretended to be at some undisclosed location all seemed to post from home. Monique posted something - and just before she posted someone form chello.nl fetched the image. Before Ivan posted image was fetched only be people with US reverse domains and by someone from UK and someone from Finland. IIRC Zapper posted something and just before he posted someone from IL fetched the image. So it seemed like there was something fishy about whole story.

I remember discussing this in chat. When I tried to save the chat log, for some reason my connection was terminated. Very suspicious. Someone was trying to cover up the evidence...

Other things that led me to believe it was a hoax:

MIH was never in any of Greg's travel pics.
There was no mention of MIH on any of Greg's relatives facebook pages.

The mental hoops I had to go through to believe that it might be true were unbelievable.

1. Greg and MIH were the only one's who actually went on the trip. Everyone else attended the wedding via video conference, sitting in their own living rooms drinking piña coladas under heat lamps.
2. Greg and MIH had kept the romance secret from the family.
3. MIH went on previous trips with Greg, but was the one taking all the pictures.

Long before the 1st, I even went so far as to try and get Greg's dad to be my friend on facebook in an attempt to find out where the party was. Apparently, the conspiracy went way beyond just PF'ers, and included Greg's entire family. Oh what a tangled web you all weaved.

All in all, it was the best April Fools joke I've ever been subjected to.
Thanks for taking me for the ride. :smile:

ps. and I got two new facebook friends out of the deal! :!)

pps. was fdsafsdfdasfdsf234154 supposed to actually mean something?

OmCheeto said:
Long before the 1st, I even went so far as to try and get Greg's dad to be my friend on facebook in an attempt to find out where the party was. Apparently, the conspiracy went way beyond just PF'ers, and included Greg's entire family. Oh what a tangled web you all weaved.

ummm... weird! :D

OmCheeto said:
All in all, it was the best April Fools joke I've ever been subjected to.
Thanks for taking me for the ride. :smile:

Glad you enjoyed it! The staff planned and discussed for a long time, but overall we weren't too organized.

OmCheeto said:
pps. was fdsafsdfdasfdsf234154 supposed to actually mean something?

My idea in that was to show panic or a rushing as if Berke was about to catch me or stop me. So I was trying to get in whatever else I could into his post. Just a goofy mashing of the keyboard. Does that make sense?

I must say I was (and still am) impressed by the overall effort and effect. I absolutely agree with Om - that's the best April Fool joke I have ever seen :biggrin:

Borek said:
I must say I was (and still am) impressed by the overall effort and effect. I absolutely agree with Om - that's the best April Fool joke I have ever seen :biggrin:
I think next year it should be our turn. Look out mentors. :biggrin:

Last edited:
We have powers over mortal posters. You remember last year's attempt at a prank? Oh wait, of course you wouldn't... :devil: