2.45GHz RF microstrip Transmission Line design

In summary: Is there a power supply or other circuitry on the same layer as the transmission line? That affects the impedance too.In summary, a guideline for the minimum length of a transmission line on a PCB would be if the TL is being used to transmit energy efficiently to a matched load, the waveform and line length are not important. However, if the line is being used with an open or short termination to emulate C, L or a resonant filter, then the line length is critical and the signal needs to be a sinewave.
spid3rx
Hello all,

I'm now working on the 2.45GHz frequency transmission line layout on the PCB.
I would like to know whether there is a design guideline for the

1) minimum length of the transmission line. how do I know or calculate? I can calculate the width of the TL to get the 50ohm impedance based on which layer for the ground plane, but length? how?

2) the PCB is 8 layer type, is there a good rule to have for the TL ground to be on which layer? can I calculate the TL width on layer 2 ground and layer 4 ground ? mixture of both, and the TL width will be different.

thanks.
spid3rx

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can run the line on the surface above a ground plane =microstrip, with some stray radiation and sensitivity to the environment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstrip

You can place the line between two ground planes with vias to tie the planes = stripline, which has low radiation and well controlled impedance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripline

If the transmission line is being used to transmit energy efficiently to a matched load, the waveform and line length will not be important, there is no minimum length.

If the line is being used with an open or short termination to emulate C, L or a resonant filter, then the line length is critical and the signal needs to be a sinewave. The physical length will need to be sdjusted for the velocity factor due to PCB dielectric constant.

Likes tech99
It's definitely a good idea to have the return path of the transmission line right below it. I've seen coplanar waveguides (CPW) without a back plate although I cannot think of any good reason to use it if you're going to have 8 metal layers. Striplines as stated above will have its return paths above and below it, and this'll provide good isolation from traces on the other layers.

I have heard of vias causing problems at 3 GHz, but I'm not so sure about 2.45 GHz. You might want to pay attention to its geometry because it could create a mismatch between your two "matched" lines, which will ultimately make your load look mismatched.

What kind of material are you using? Surface roughness? Dielectric loss? Determining a stack-up is very challenging work. What else is going to be on your board?

Likes tech99

FAQ: 2.45GHz RF microstrip Transmission Line design

1. What is a 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line?

A 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line is a type of transmission line used for high-frequency signals, particularly in the range of 1-10 GHz. It consists of a thin strip of conducting material, such as copper, placed on top of a dielectric substrate. This design allows for efficient transfer of high-frequency signals while maintaining a compact and lightweight structure.

2. What are the main factors to consider when designing a 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line?

The main factors to consider when designing a 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line include the substrate material, the width and thickness of the strip, the dielectric constant of the substrate, and the length of the line. These factors all affect the impedance, attenuation, and dispersion of the signal, and must be carefully chosen to achieve optimal performance.

3. How do I calculate the characteristic impedance of a 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line?

The characteristic impedance of a 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line can be calculated using the following formula: Z0 = 87.5 * (ln(5.98*h/w + 0.8)*[1+(w/h)^0.5]^-1)^-1, where Z0 is the characteristic impedance in ohms, h is the thickness of the substrate in meters, and w is the width of the strip in meters. This formula is based on the design equations proposed by Hammerstad and Jensen.

4. What are the advantages of using a 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line?

One of the main advantages of using a 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission line is its compact and lightweight design. This makes it ideal for use in portable devices and systems where space is limited. Additionally, microstrip lines have low radiation losses, high power handling capabilities, and can be easily integrated with other components on a circuit board.

5. What are the common applications of 2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission lines?

2.45GHz RF microstrip transmission lines are commonly used in wireless communication systems, such as WiFi and Bluetooth, as well as in radar and satellite communication systems. They are also used in high-speed digital circuits and microwave devices, such as filters and amplifiers. Additionally, microstrip lines are often used in antenna designs due to their compact size and low radiation losses.

Back