2 particles in a 1-dimensional box

In summary, the conversation discusses the values and probabilities when measuring the energy of 2 particles in a one dimensional box with different masses. The wave equation is given and the probability of finding particle 1 in a specific interval is also mentioned. The main focus is on understanding the concept behind the calculations.
nemisis42
If there are 2 particles of mass m1 and m2 in a one dimensional box of width a, I'm trying to find 1)what values will be found if the energy is measured, and with what probability these values will take occur. and 2) what is the probability of finding particle 1 with mass m1 in the interval (0,a/2) (all of this is at time t=0) (the particles are not symmetric)The wave equation is:

[tex]\Psi[/tex] (X1,X2,0)=(3[tex]\Phi[/tex]7(X1)*[tex]\Phi[/tex]6(X2)+8[tex]\Phi[/tex]3(X1)*[tex]\Phi[/tex]2(X2))/(sqrt(73))

I ended up with energy E=(((n7)^2/(m1))+((n6)^2/(m2)))*[tex]\hbar[/tex]^2*[tex]\pi[/tex]^2/(2*a^2)+(((n3)^2/(m1))+((n2)^2/(m2)))*[tex]\hbar[/tex]^2*[tex]\pi[/tex]^2/(2*a^2))

With (9/73) chance for E7,6 and (64/73) chance for E3,2

Would anybody be able to tell me if what I have looks correct(and point me in the right direction if its not) and tell me where to start with the probability of finding particle 1 in the interval (0,a/2). I did change the values from the original equation. I'm really just interested in the principal behind this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your answer looks correct. The probability of finding particle 1 in the interval (0,a/2) is given by the following formula: P(X1 in (0,a/2)) = |\int_0^{a/2}\Psi (X1,X2,0)|^2dX1 where \Psi (X1,X2,0) is the wave equation you have written above.

Related to 2 particles in a 1-dimensional box

1. What is a 1-dimensional box and how does it relate to particles?

A 1-dimensional box is a theoretical construct used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of particles in a confined space. It is often used to represent the potential energy of a particle, with the walls of the box representing the boundaries of the particle's movement.

2. How many particles can be placed in a 1-dimensional box?

In theory, an infinite number of particles can be placed in a 1-dimensional box. However, in practical applications, the number of particles is limited by the size of the box and the properties of the particles themselves.

3. What is the significance of "2 particles" in a 1-dimensional box?

The number of particles in a 1-dimensional box affects the quantum states and energy levels of the system. In the case of 2 particles, the system can exhibit a variety of behaviors, such as entanglement and superposition, that are not seen with a single particle.

4. How does the size of the box affect the behavior of 2 particles in a 1-dimensional box?

The size of the box determines the allowed energy levels and potential energy of the system. A larger box allows for more energy states and can result in a more complex behavior of the particles, while a smaller box limits the possible states and can lead to simpler behavior.

5. What real-world applications does studying 2 particles in a 1-dimensional box have?

Studying 2 particles in a 1-dimensional box can have applications in various fields, such as materials science, nanotechnology, and quantum computing. It can also help us better understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces, which is relevant to many natural phenomena and technological processes.