2 vibrating strings and harmonics questions

In summary, the problem involves two ukulele strings of equal length and mass, with the first string tuned to vibrate at twice its fundamental frequency and the second string tuned to vibrate at three times its fundamental frequency. The tension of the first string is given as 60 N, and the goal is to calculate the tension F2 of the second string. Using the formula f=(1/2L)Sqrt(T/m/L), where p is the number of harmonics, the tension of the second string can be calculated.
pugtm

Homework Statement

Two ukulele strings, of equal length and mass are tuned so that the first string, when it vibrates at twice its fundamental frequency, has the same frequency as the second string when
it vibrates at three times its fundamental frequency. The tension of the first string is 60 N.
Calculate the tension F2 of the second string.
Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

f=(1/2L)Sqrt(T/m/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

so here i am stuck as i tried to set 2f1=3f2
how do i adjust for the harmonics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the formula

[tex]f = \frac{p}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{m/L}}[/tex] where p is the number of harmonics.

thanks yeah i got it

FAQ: 2 vibrating strings and harmonics questions

1. How do you determine the fundamental frequency of a vibrating string?

The fundamental frequency of a vibrating string can be determined by dividing the speed of sound in the medium by twice the length of the string.

2. What is the relationship between the length of a vibrating string and its frequency?

The frequency of a vibrating string is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the string decreases, the frequency increases, and vice versa.

3. Can a vibrating string produce more than one harmonic?

Yes, a vibrating string can produce multiple harmonics. Each harmonic has a frequency that is a whole number multiple of the fundamental frequency.

4. How does tension affect the harmonics produced by a vibrating string?

The tension of a string affects the harmonics produced by changing the speed of sound in the medium. A higher tension leads to a higher speed of sound, resulting in higher frequency harmonics.

5. How do you calculate the frequency of a specific harmonic in a vibrating string?

The frequency of a specific harmonic in a vibrating string can be calculated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by the harmonic number. For example, the third harmonic would have a frequency three times that of the fundamental frequency.

Back