A bunch of toys made about 40 years ago

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
My daughter and her 3 young'ns are here from Laos for the entire summer and she asked me to dig out some of the toys I made for her brother almost 40 years ago, so here is the first batch.

These were wrapped in butcher paper and put in a cardboard box about 30 years ago. Tiny bit of moisture seeped in. You can see the middle piece in the first pic has a slight patina of mildew or fungus or something.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

• Care
Likes russ_watters, OmCheeto, jtbell and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
The cars remind me of wooden racing car kits we built in Cub Scouts over 60 years ago. I like the wood wheels which appear to be fastened to a rolling axle (?). Cool shapes and grains in the bodies, as well. The racing kit consisted of light balsa wood intended for oil paint and decals.

Likes Math100, BillTre and dwarde
Klystron said:
I like the wood wheels which appear to be fastened to a rolling axle (?).
Oh, yeah. These roll quite nicely.

phinds said:
Oh, yeah. These roll quite nicely.
Did you turn those wheels and axles in a lathe?

Very nice and creative toys! I like the different textures and colors of woods. Did you use any purple heart?

Lnewqban said:
Did you turn those wheels and axles in a lathe?
Nope, cheated and bought them from a toy parts store

Likes docnet and Lnewqban
docnet said:
Very nice and creative toys! I like the different textures and colors of woods. Did you use any purple heart?
Yes, the top item in the last pic is purpleheart. The other red one is padauk (started out bright red but it darkens with age).

Likes Klystron, BillTre and docnet
Back