A confusion about conductance of weak electrolytes

nafisanazlee
Homework Statement
The equivalent conductance of weak monobasic acid at infinite dilution is 388.5 ohm^-¹ cm² equiv-¹ at 25 %C. Find the specific conductance of 0.1 molar solutions. the degree of dissociation of which is 6%.
Relevant Equations
Λe/Λe∞ = α
My attempt is the handwritten one. But my reference book solved it in a different way, they left a note saying at infinite dilution α = 1(100%). (the attached picture) Which one is the correct approach?

Attachments

• IMG_20231129_035339.jpg
    IMG_20231129_035339.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see a handwritten attempt, or a note to that effect in the attached picture. Please clarify the two approaches.

Book doesn't use information about 6%, which makes me doubt the solution, even without checking details.

Likes nafisanazlee
mjc123 said:
Can't see a handwritten attempt, or a note to that effect in the attached picture. Please clarify the two approaches.
I am sorry, didn't notice that it didn't got uploaded. Here it is.

Attachments

• CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 47
Borek said:
Book doesn't use information about 6%, which makes me doubt the solution, even without checking details.
Borek said:
This is my solution, I'm sorry that it didn't got posted earlier.

Attachments

• CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    CamScanner 11-29-2023 03.49.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 41
I think your result is correct.

et_al said:
I think your result is correct.
Thanks so much.

Related to A confusion about conductance of weak electrolytes

What is the main reason for the low conductance of weak electrolytes?

The main reason for the low conductance of weak electrolytes is that they only partially dissociate into ions in solution. Unlike strong electrolytes, which fully dissociate, weak electrolytes only produce a limited number of ions, resulting in lower conductivity.

How does the degree of dissociation affect the conductance of weak electrolytes?

The degree of dissociation directly affects the conductance of weak electrolytes. Higher degrees of dissociation produce more ions, which increases the conductance. Conversely, lower degrees of dissociation result in fewer ions and lower conductance.

Why does the conductance of weak electrolytes increase with dilution?

The conductance of weak electrolytes increases with dilution because dilution shifts the equilibrium towards more dissociation according to Le Chatelier's principle. This results in an increased number of ions in the solution, thereby enhancing its conductance.

Can the conductance of weak electrolytes be measured accurately?

Yes, the conductance of weak electrolytes can be measured accurately using specialized techniques such as conductometric titration and by employing high-precision conductivity meters. These methods account for the partial dissociation and provide reliable measurements.

What is the difference between molar conductance and specific conductance in the context of weak electrolytes?

Specific conductance (or conductivity) refers to the conductance of a solution per unit length and cross-sectional area, typically measured in S/cm. Molar conductance, on the other hand, is the conductance of a solution containing one mole of electrolyte per unit volume and is measured in S·cm²/mol. For weak electrolytes, molar conductance increases with dilution due to increased dissociation, while specific conductance may decrease as the concentration of ions per unit volume decreases.