A math confusion in deriving the curl of magnetic field from Biot-Savart

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with deriving the curl of a magnetic field from the Biot-Savart law, specifically in the case of an arbitrary current density that extends to infinity. The question asks how to prove that the surface integral will be zero when the current density extends to infinity, and the answer explains that this is only true if the current density is zero on the surface. In the general case, the surface integral is the sum of contributions from each infinitesimal point on the surface, which will cancel out if the current density is zero on the surface. The conversation also mentions that this is the first time the individual has asked a question in English and expresses hope for a helpful response.
Brian Tsai
TL;DR Summary
Why the surface integral is 0 even the J itself extends to infinity (as in the case of an infinite straight wire).
I am recently reading "Introduction to Electrodynamics, Forth Edition, David J. Griffiths " and have a problem with the derive of the curl of a magnetic field from Biot-Savart law. The images of pages (p.232~p233) are in the following:

螢幕擷取畫面 2023-04-03 133932.png

螢幕擷取畫面 2023-04-03 134140.png

The second term in 5.55(page 233) is 0. I had known the reason in case of that the current density declined to 0 on the surface. My question is how to prove the surface integral will also be 0 when J extends to infinite(red block).

P.S. : This is my first time asking a question in English, and I had done my best to decrease the improper use of English. I sincerely hope that anyone who notices my post can answer my confusion and don't be mad at my terrible use in English

Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
. A:In the general case of an arbitrary current density J that extends to infinity, the surface integral in (1) will not be zero.In the special case of a current density that is zero on the surface, then the surface integral will be zero.In the general case, you can think of the surface integral as the sum of contributions from each infinitesimal point on the surface. The electric field due to each such point is given by the Biot-Savart law. If the current density vanishes on the surface, then the contributions from each infinitesimal point will cancel out, and the total electric field on the surface will be zero. This implies that the surface integral will be zero.

Likes Brian Tsai

FAQ: A math confusion in deriving the curl of magnetic field from Biot-Savart

What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current. It states that the magnetic field d𝐵 at a point in space due to an infinitesimal segment of current-carrying wire is proportional to the current I, the length element d𝐿, and inversely proportional to the square of the distance r from the wire to the point. Mathematically, it is expressed as d𝐵 = (μ₀/4π) * (I d𝐿 × 𝐫̂) / r², where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, and 𝐫̂ is the unit vector from the current element to the point of interest.

What is the curl of the magnetic field?

The curl of the magnetic field, denoted as ∇ × 𝐵, is a vector that describes the rotation or the circulation of the magnetic field at a point in space. According to Ampère's Law (with Maxwell's correction), the curl of the magnetic field is related to the current density 𝐽 and the rate of change of the electric field 𝐸. Mathematically, it is given by ∇ × 𝐵 = μ₀(𝐽 + ε₀ ∂𝐸/∂t), where ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

How do you derive the curl of the magnetic field from the Biot-Savart Law?

To derive the curl of the magnetic field from the Biot-Savart Law, start by expressing the magnetic field 𝐵 due to a current distribution 𝐽 in integral form using the Biot-Savart Law. Then, apply the curl operator (∇×) to both sides of the expression. This involves using vector calculus identities, specifically the curl of an integral and the Dirac delta function, to simplify the resulting expression. The detailed steps show that ∇ × 𝐵 = μ₀𝐽, consistent with Ampère's Law in the static case (no changing electric fields).

What are common mathematical pitfalls in this derivation?

Common mathematical pitfalls include incorrect application of vector calculus identities, misunderstanding the properties of the Dirac delta function, and not properly accounting for the limits of integration. Another frequent error is neglecting the distinction between field points and source points in the integral, leading to incorrect expressions for the curl operation.

Why is the Dirac delta function important in this derivation?

The Dirac delta function is crucial in this derivation because it allows the conversion of the integral form of the Biot-Savart Law into a differential form. When taking the curl of the magnetic field, the delta function helps

Back