A problem with zener limtting output voltage

In summary, the conversation discussed the different types of zener diode limiting circuits and their corresponding output voltages for both positive and negative peaks. It was mentioned that there is a small relationship between input voltage and VZ due to the zener's resistance, but this variation is minimal. The conversation also mentioned the use of zener characteristic curves and equivalent models for further understanding.
bibo_dvd
hello guys !

i know that in zener diode limitting circuit
there are three types : 1-limitting Positive peak 2-limitting Negative peak 3-limtting both peaks

and i know that output voltage for
limitting positive peak =VZ+0.7v
limitting negative peak= -VZ-0.7v
but i don't know what will happen if the input voltage is changed ?!
i mean is there a relationship between input voltage and VZ ??

in this photo i understand that in

bqKSEw8.png

(a) Positive peak output = 5.1v+0.7v=5.8v
Negative peak output =-3.3v-0.7=-4.0v
(b) Positive peak output =6.2v+0.7v=6.9v
Negative peak output = -15v-0.7v=-15.7v

but in related problem i don't know if the output voltage will change if the input voltage is changed ?!
i think it will not change but iam not sure about that ..so help me guys !

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The zener characteristics are nearly independent of the input voltage. I say nearly because "real-life" zeners do have a small resistance value that will make the zener voltage vary a bit when its current changes (the same holds true for all diodes). Do a web search for zener characteristic curve and zener equivalent model.

Related to A problem with zener limtting output voltage

1. What is a zener diode and how does it work?

A zener diode is a type of diode that is specifically designed to have a breakdown voltage that is well-defined and stable. This allows it to be used as a voltage regulator, limiting the output voltage to a specific value. When the voltage across a zener diode reaches its breakdown voltage, it starts to conduct, allowing excess current to flow through and limiting the output voltage.

2. How does a problem with zener limiting output voltage occur?

A problem with zener limiting output voltage can occur due to a variety of reasons. Some common causes include incorrect circuit design, overloading or overheating of the zener diode, or damage to the diode itself. It can also occur if the zener diode is not properly connected in the circuit.

3. What are the consequences of a problem with zener limiting output voltage?

If a zener diode is not functioning properly, it can result in an unstable or fluctuating output voltage. This can cause damage to other components in the circuit and affect the performance of the overall system. In some cases, it may also lead to a complete failure of the circuit.

4. How can a problem with zener limiting output voltage be diagnosed?

To diagnose a problem with zener limiting output voltage, it is important to check the connections and make sure the diode is properly connected in the circuit. Using a multimeter, the voltage across the zener diode can be measured to ensure it is within the specified range. If the voltage is not stable or is outside of the desired range, it may indicate a problem with the zener diode.

5. How can a problem with zener limiting output voltage be fixed?

If a problem with zener limiting output voltage is identified, the first step is to check the connections and make sure they are correct. If the diode is damaged, it will need to be replaced with a new one. It is also important to ensure that the circuit is designed properly and that the zener diode is not being overloaded. In some cases, adding a resistor in series with the diode can help stabilize the output voltage.