A puck is sliding on flat ground with an intial speed

In summary: You'll find that the professors are less forgiving.) You should at least try to use what you do understand to solve the problem. Have you studied Newton's Laws of Motion yet? If not, then obviously you won't know how to solve the problem. Tell us what you do know.In summary, the conversation is about a student who accidentally signed up for a physics class and is struggling with a problem involving a puck sliding on flat ground. The student asks for help in finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ground, but also mentions not knowing how to solve the problem and never having taken physics before. The expert suggests looking into formulas for uniform acceleration and encourages the student to make an effort to
SuperDuperSunny

Homework Statement

A puck is sliding on flat ground with initial speed to 4 m/s and comes to rest after 2 s. Aprox. which is the coefficent of kinetic friction between puck and ground.
I don't know how to solve for this. I ended up in this class accidently and never took physics. If you can't give me the answer please point me in the right direction/formula.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello SDS :welcome:

You could look in the formulas for uniform acceleration (deceleration in this case)...

SuperDuperSunny said:

Homework Statement

A puck is sliding on flat ground with initial speed to 4 m/s and comes to rest after 2 s. Aprox. which is the coefficent of kinetic friction between puck and ground.
I don't know how to solve for this. I ended up in this class accidently and never took physics. If you can't give me the answer please point me in the right direction/formula.

Let me guess: You wanted to study 'Psychics' but signed up for 'Physics' instead. :woot: :wink: :rolleyes:

I bet if you ask your classmates, you'll probably find that some (or most) of them never studied physics before, either. Still, if you're not going to drop the class after realizing your mistake, you should at least make an effort to read and study the material.

For future reference, "I don't know how to solve this" is an insufficient reason for getting HW help at PF.

Related to A puck is sliding on flat ground with an intial speed

1. How does the initial speed affect the puck's motion?

The initial speed of the puck determines how fast it will be moving and how quickly it will decelerate due to friction and other forces acting upon it.

2. What factors influence the puck's trajectory?

The puck's trajectory is influenced by the initial speed, the angle at which it was launched, and any external forces such as wind or gravity.

3. How does friction affect the puck's movement?

Friction acts as a resistive force on the puck, causing it to slow down and eventually stop. The amount of friction depends on the surface the puck is sliding on and the speed at which it is moving.

4. Can the initial speed of the puck be changed while it is sliding?

No, the initial speed of the puck cannot be changed once it has been launched. However, external forces such as wind or collisions with other objects can alter its speed and trajectory.

5. Is the puck's motion affected by the surface it is sliding on?

Yes, the surface the puck is sliding on can greatly affect its motion. A smoother surface will result in less friction and a longer sliding distance, while a rougher surface will cause the puck to slow down more quickly.