A Question about the Double Atwood Machine

Minming
Homework Statement
The double Atwood machine shown in Fig. 4-50 has frictionless, massless pulleys and cords. Determine (a) the acceleration of masses m1, m2 and m3, and (b) the tensions FT1 and FT3 in the cords.
My answer is different from the book‘s!
Please to see the attach file.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
1705240892707.png

Solution:
1705240794099.png

1705240824688.png

1705240840872.png

1705240853563.png

1705240863011.png

Attachments

• question55.docx
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 附图55.png
    附图55.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 附图55.png
    附图55.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 32
Likes PeroK and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Minming
:welcome:

Check your eq (4)

##\ ##

You equation for ##a_s## doesn't look correct to me. It should involve ##F_{T_1}## and ##F_{T_3}## and not the masses m1,m2 and g, at least not directly.

Likes Lnewqban and Steve4Physics
An easier way to assemble the equations would be to consider that the acceleration of an Atwood machine pulley on the right does not depend on whether there is another Atwood machine on the left side of its cord or an effective mass ##m_{\text{eff.}}##. Assuming that ##m_3## is accelerating and moving down, the known equations for the acceleration and tension of a single Atwood machine hanging from a fixed support are $$a_3=\frac{m_3-m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g~;~~F_{T_3}=\frac{2m_3~ m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g.$$The left pulley is accelerating up with acceleration ##a_3## which means that it can be treated as a fixed Atwood machine in an effective gravitational field ##g_{\text{eff.}}=(g+a_3).## So we write $$F_{T_1} = \frac{2m_2~ m_1}{m_2+ m_1}(g+a_3).$$ We also have that ##F_{T_1}=\frac{1}{2}F_{T_3}##. This gives a second equation and hence a system of two equations and two unknowns, ##a_3## and ## m_{\text{eff.}}## $$\begin{align}
& a_3=\frac{m_3-m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g \\
&\frac{2m_2~ m_1}{m_2+ m_1}(g+a_3)=\frac{1}{2}\times \frac{2m_3~ m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g \\
\end{align}$$ Having obtained ##a_3## and ## m_{\text{eff.}}##, one can find ##F_{T_3}## and ##F_{T_1}.## Knowing ##F_{T_1},## accelerations ##a_1## and ##a_2## can be found through the usual free body diagrams. I think this method is more transparent and easier to implement without the use of MATLAB.

Edited to fix typo in equation (2) where ##\frac{1}{2}## was on the wrong side.

Last edited:
Likes Minming, MatinSAR, Delta2 and 1 other person
Hi @Minming. It might be worth saying a little more about the mistake in ‘equation 4’. It's worth you understanding why it's wrong.

Consider ##m_1, m_2## and ##s## as forming a separate body, X (which internally is a simple Atwood machine).

That’s what you did when incorrectly applying ‘a = F/m’ to X to give ##a_s = \frac {F_{T3} – (m_1+m_2)g} {m_1+m_2}##.

The right-hand side is actually the acceleration of X’s centre of mass, ##a_{XCoM}##. But X’s centre of mass is not stationary relative to ##s## because of the ‘internal’ motion of ##m_1## and ##m_2## inside X. So ##a_s \neq a_{XCoM}## (except in the special case when ##m_1 = m_2##).

Likes Delta2 and SammyS
BvU said:
Hello @Minming

Check your eq (4)

##\ ##
Hi, BvU
I take the pulley, m1 and m2 as a box.
This box's mass is (m1+m2), and ΣF=FT3-(m1+m2)g.

kuruman said:
An easier way to assemble the equations would be to consider that the acceleration of an Atwood machine pulley on the right does not depend on whether there is another Atwood machine on the left side of its cord or an effective mass ##m_{\text{eff.}}##. Assuming that ##m_3## is accelerating and moving down, the known equations for the acceleration and tension of a single Atwood machine hanging from a fixed support are $$a_3=\frac{m_3-m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g~;~~F_{T_3}=\frac{2m_3~ m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g.$$The left pulley is accelerating up with acceleration ##a_3## which means that it can be treated as a fixed Atwood machine in an effective gravitational field ##g_{\text{eff.}}=(g+a_3).## So we write $$F_{T_1} = \frac{2m_2~ m_1}{m_2+ m_1}(g+a_3).$$ We also have that ##F_{T_1}=\frac{1}{2}F_{T_3}##. This gives a second equation and hence a system of two equations and two unknowns, ##a_3## and ## m_{\text{eff.}}## $$\begin{align}
& a_3=\frac{m_3-m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g \\
&\frac{2m_2~ m_1}{m_2+ m_1}(g+a_3)=\frac{1}{2}\times \frac{2m_3~ m_{\text{eff.}}}{m_3+ m_{\text{eff.}}}g \\
\end{align}$$ Having obtained ##a_3## and ## m_{\text{eff.}}##, one can find ##F_{T_3}## and ##F_{T_1}.## Knowing ##F_{T_1},## accelerations ##a_1## and ##a_2## can be found through the usual free body diagrams. I think this method is more transparent and easier to implement without the use of MATLAB.

Edited to fix typo in equation (2) where ##\frac{1}{2}## was on the wrong side.
Thank you, kuruman
I have a misstake in the knowledge in pully.
And your advice about effective mass and effective acceleration is very useful for me.
Thanks.

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @Minming. It might be worth saying a little more about the mistake in ‘equation 4’. It's worth you understanding why it's wrong.

Consider ##m_1, m_2## and ##s## as forming a separate body, X (which internally is a simple Atwood machine).

That’s what you did when incorrectly applying ‘a = F/m’ to X to give ##a_s = \frac {F_{T3} – (m_1+m_2)g} {m_1+m_2}##.

The right-hand side is actually the acceleration of X’s centre of mass, ##a_{XCoM}##. But X’s centre of mass is not stationary relative to ##s## because of the ‘internal’ motion of ##m_1## and ##m_2## inside X. So ##a_s \neq a_{XCoM}## (except in the special case when ##m_1 = m_2##).
Hi, Steve4
I get it ,thinks.

Likes Steve4Physics
BvU said:
Hello @Minming

Check your eq (4)

##\ ##
Thanks. I get it.

Likes BvU
Minming said:
Thanks. I get it.
As an exercise, I decided to hit this with some Lagrangian mechanics:

I took ##x_1, x_2, x_3## as the (downward positive) displacements of the masses, and ##X_1, X_2## as the displacements of ##m_1, m_2## relative to the pulley over which they slide. We have the constraints:
$$x_1 = X_1 - x_3, \ x_2 = X_2 - x_3, \ X_2 = -X_1$$Which leads to$$x_2 = -x_1 -2x_3$$This leads to the Lagragian:$$L = KE - PE$$$$L = \frac 1 2 m_1 \dot x_1^2 + \frac 1 2 m_2(\dot x_1 + 2x_3)^2 + \frac 1 2 m_3\dot x_3^2 + \big (m_1x_1 - m_2(x_1 + 2x_3) + m_3x_3 \big ) g$$Then we use the Euler-Lagrange equations (##i = 1, 3##):
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i} = \frac d {dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x_i}$$The first equation is:
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_1} = \frac d {dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x_1}$$$$\Rightarrow (m_1 - m_2)g = \frac d {dt} \bigg (m_1\dot x_1 + m_2(\dot x_1 + 2\dot x_3) \bigg )$$$$\Rightarrow (m_1 + m_2)\ddot x_1 + 2m_2 \ddot x_3 = (m_1 - m_2) g$$Similarly, the second Euler-Lagrange equation is:
$$2m_2 \ddot x_1 + (4m_2 - m_3)\ddot x_3 = (m_3 - 2m_2)g$$Eliminating ##\ddot x_1## gives:
$$(m_1m_3 + m_2m_3 + 4m_1m_2)\ddot x_3 = (m_1m_3 +m_2m_3 - 4m_1m_2)g$$Eliminating ##\ddot x_3## gives:$$(m_1m_3 + m_2m_3 + 4m_1m_2)\ddot x_1 = (4m_1m_2 + m_1m_3 - 3m_2m_3)g$$You can then get the tension from ##T_i = m_i(g - \ddot x_i)##.

The quickest way to get ##\ddot x_2## is to note that by symmetry it must be the same as ##\ddot x_1## with ##m_1## and ##m_2## interchanged.

Tough problem and not much easier using Euler-Lagrange.

• Informative
Likes PhDeezNutz, Minming, MatinSAR and 1 other person
Thank you.
The Lagrangian mechanics seems difficult....

Minming said:
Thank you.
It's beautiful. You'll learn it at some stage in your degree. All modern physics (QM, QFT, GR) is based on Lagrangian or Hamiltonian mechanics, as Newton's laws themselves do not generalise.

Likes Delta2 and PhDeezNutz
Minming said:
Thank you.

If your major is physics you will find out just how beautiful it is and how it makes Newtonian mechanics EASIER.

I was going to do a Lagrangian approach for this problem but @PeroK beat me to it.

Might still do it for fun.

PhDeezNutz said:
If your major is physics you will find out just how beautiful it is and how it makes Newtonian mechanics EASIER.

I was going to do a Lagrangian approach for this problem but @PeroK beat me to it.

Might still do it for fun.
You could do a double-double Atwood machine with four masses on three pullies.

PeroK said:
You could do a double-double Atwood machine with four masses on three pullies.
Don’t tempt me. I might. Let me first do the one with 2 pullies to see if I get the same answer as you. Then I might try the second scenario.

@Minming when you learn Lagrangian, Hamiltonian mechanics you will come to prefer it.

For the double-double Atwood machine, if we let ##p_1## be the displacement (downwards positive) of the first pulley, supporting masses ##m_1## and ##m_2##; and ##p_2## likewise supporting masses ##m_3## and ##m_4##, then the constraints are:
$$x_2 = -x_1 + 2p_1, \ x_4 = -x_3 - 2p_1$$The Euler-Lagrange equations are:
$$(m_1 + m_2)\ddot x_1 - 2m_2 \ddot p_1 = (m_1 - m_2)g$$$$(m_3 + m_4)\ddot x_3 + 2m_4 \ddot p_1 = (m_3 - m_4)g$$$$-m_2\ddot x_1 + m_4\ddot x_3 +2(m_2+m_4) \ddot p_1 = (m_2 - m_4)g$$Solving for ##\ddot x_1## gives:
$$\ddot x_1 = \frac{m_1\big(m_2(m_3 + m_4) + m_3m_4\big) - 3m_2m_3m_4}{(m_1 + m_2)m_3m_4 + (m_3 + m_4)m_1m_2}g$$By symmetry, the others can be obtained from this. E.g.
$$\ddot x_3 = \frac{m_3\big(m_4(m_1 + m_2) + m_1m_2\big) - 3m_1m_2m_4}{(m_1 + m_2)m_3m_4 + (m_3 + m_4)m_1m_2}g$$Finally, if we let ##m_3 = m_4 = \frac 1 2 M##, then we recover the solution for the double Atwood machine above, with ##M## replacing the original ##m_3##:
$$\ddot x_1 = \frac{m_1\big(m_2M + \frac 1 4 M^2\big) - \frac 3 4 m_2M^2}{(m_1 + m_2)\frac 1 4 M^2 + Mm_1m_2}g$$$$\ddot x_1 = \frac{4m_1m_2 + m_1M - 3m_2M}{(m_1 + m_2)M + 4m_1m_2}g$$$$\ddot x_3 =\frac{\frac 1 2 M\big(\frac 1 2 M(m_1 + m_2) + m_1m_2\big) - \frac 3 2 m_1m_2M}{(m_1 + m_2)\frac 1 4 M^2 + Mm_1m_2}g$$$$\ddot x_3 =\frac{M(m_1 + m_2) - 4m_1m_2}{(m_1 + m_2)M + 4m_1m_2}g$$And all is good!

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz
As it turns out, this is an example problem in Marion and Thornton.

Related to A Question about the Double Atwood Machine

What is a Double Atwood Machine?

A Double Atwood Machine is a system composed of two Atwood machines interconnected. An Atwood machine typically consists of two masses connected by a string over a pulley. In a Double Atwood Machine, one of the masses of the first Atwood machine is replaced by another pulley with its own set of masses connected by a string.

How do you derive the equations of motion for a Double Atwood Machine?

To derive the equations of motion for a Double Atwood Machine, you need to apply Newton's second law to each mass and pulley in the system. This involves setting up free-body diagrams for each component and writing down the force balance equations. The key is to account for the tensions in the strings and the accelerations of the masses, which are interdependent due to the connections in the system.

What are the key assumptions made in analyzing a Double Atwood Machine?

The key assumptions typically made include: (1) the pulleys are frictionless and massless, (2) the strings are inextensible and massless, (3) gravitational acceleration is constant, and (4) the system is isolated with no external forces acting on it other than gravity.

How does the tension in the strings differ between a single and a double Atwood machine?

In a single Atwood machine, the tension in the string is the same throughout. However, in a Double Atwood Machine, the tension varies because the second pulley introduces another set of forces. The tension in the string connected to the second pulley will be different from the tension in the string connected to the masses of the first pulley.

Can a Double Atwood Machine be used to demonstrate principles of mechanical advantage?

Yes, a Double Atwood Machine can be used to demonstrate principles of mechanical advantage. By analyzing the forces and tensions in the system, one can see how the arrangement of pulleys and masses can be used to lift heavier loads with less force. This setup effectively shows how mechanical advantage can be achieved through the distribution of forces in a pulley system.