Small error in calculating the value of g with an Atwood machine

In summary, the conversation is about a physics practical test involving the Atwood machine to find the gravitational acceleration constant. The speaker has found a value of 9.27 m/s², but there is a slight gap that needs to be explained. It is mentioned that there was no friction in the experiment, but the speaker questions the possibility of friction being present in real life. They also ask for help in identifying other factors that may have affected the results and for equations and data to be shared for further investigation.
Ellio
Homework Statement
none
Relevant Equations
none
Hello, I hope you are very well !

I have a physics practical test where I have to find the gravitational acceleration with the Atwood machine:

An-ATWOODs-machine-concept.jpg

I've found 9.27 m/s² and have to say what could have caused this slight gap. They say that there is no friction in this experiment.

I can't really manage to find any (the time has by the way been measured with an ultra slow mo camera...).

If you could help me I would be very thankful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from the fact that frictionless doesn't exist in real life, what do you think might have been responsible? And how long was the rope? How was the acceleration measured?

Ellio said:
I've found 9.27 m/s² and have to say what could have caused this slight gap. They say that there is no friction in this experiment.
I think investigating the effects of friction would be a good start. Can you post the relevant equations for friction in this experiment, and deduce whether including the forces of friction would give you a higher or lower value for the gravitational acceleration constant g? Can you think about any other forces that might have been present? How fast did the weights end up going?

You are looking for an error of 5.5%. If we are to help you will need to post full details of the set-up, the process, the data collected, and your calculation.

Related to Small error in calculating the value of g with an Atwood machine

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple device used to measure the acceleration due to gravity (g). It consists of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. The masses are allowed to move freely, and the difference in their weights causes an acceleration that can be measured and used to calculate the value of g.

2. How is the value of g calculated using an Atwood machine?

The value of g can be calculated by measuring the difference in weight between the two masses and the acceleration of the system. The formula used is g = (m1-m2)a, where m1 and m2 are the masses and a is the acceleration. By measuring the acceleration and the masses, the value of g can be determined.

3. What is considered a "small error" in calculating the value of g with an Atwood machine?

A small error in this context refers to any deviation from the actual value of g that is within an acceptable range of uncertainty. This can be caused by human error, instrument limitations, or other factors. Generally, an error of less than 1% is considered small.

4. What factors can contribute to errors in calculating the value of g with an Atwood machine?

There are several factors that can contribute to errors in calculating the value of g with an Atwood machine. These include friction in the pulley system, air resistance, misalignment of the string, and human error in measuring the masses and acceleration. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to get an accurate measurement of g.

5. How can errors in calculating the value of g with an Atwood machine be minimized?

To minimize errors, it is important to carefully set up the Atwood machine and ensure that the string is straight and taut. The masses should also be evenly balanced and the pulley should be free of any obstructions. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and averaging the results can help to reduce errors. Using more precise equipment and techniques can also improve the accuracy of the measurement.