Accelerated mathemathical pendulum

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary: So frequency of small movements around the stationary angle is##\frac{1}{2}m(\ddot{\theta }+\frac{1}{L}(a_x+a_y+g))##
skrat

Homework Statement

Mathemathical pendulum with mass ##m## on a line ##L## is moving with constant acceleration in xz plane, ##\vec{a}=(a_x,a_z)##. Let's consider only the oscillations in xz plane. Find stationary value of ##\theta ## and find the frequency of small movements around the stationary angle if ##a_x=0##.

wfferer.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, let's put one coordinate system somewhere :D and another one on the top of line ##L##. Let's say that these two coordinate systems are connected with vector R.

Let's express everything in accelerated system:

##\vec{r}=(Lsin\theta , Lcos\theta )## and ##\vec{R}=(-\frac{1}{2}a_xt^2,-\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2)##

Both together give me ##v=(\dot{\theta }Lcos\theta -a_xt,-\dot{\theta }Lsin\theta -a_yt)## and ##v^2=\dot{\theta }^2L^2+t^2(a_x^2+a_y^2)+2\dot{\theta }Lt(sin\theta a_y-cos\theta a_x##

So ##L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{\theta }^2L^2+t^2(a_x^2+a_y^2)+2\dot{\theta }Lt(sin\theta a_y-cos\theta a_x)+mgLcos\theta ##.

I won't even write the equations from here one because this brings me to wrong simple solution:

##\ddot{\theta }+\frac{g}{l}\theta =0## which can not be ok. It looks like I am missing something when calculating the velocity? But what?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd have tried:
In the accelerated frame, rotate the axis to reflect the apparent direction of gravity - you should end up with the same relations as you are used to right?

To recover the problem-statement x and y directions, transform back.

Note: I originally interpreted the diagram as indicating that the pivot was subject to an applied force.

skrat said:

So ##L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{\theta }^2L^2+t^2(a_x^2+a_y^2)+2\dot{\theta }Lt(sin\theta a_y-cos\theta a_x)+mgLcos\theta ##.

I won't even write the equations from here one because this brings me to wrong simple solution

That's the problem. If I would write everything one of you would for sure notice that I was not careful.

Anyway, calculating everything ok brings me to

##\ddot{\theta }+\frac{1}{L}(a_xcos\theta +a_ysin\theta +g sin\theta )=0##

And therefore stationary angle ##\theta _0=arctg(\frac{a_x}{a_y+g})##

And for ##a_x=0## also

##\ddot{\theta }+\frac{1}{L}(a_y+g)\theta =0##

Related to Accelerated mathemathical pendulum

What is an accelerated mathematical pendulum?

An accelerated mathematical pendulum is a theoretical model that describes the motion of a pendulum under the influence of a constant external force, such as gravity.

How does an accelerated mathematical pendulum differ from a regular pendulum?

An accelerated mathematical pendulum takes into account the effect of a constant external force, while a regular pendulum assumes that the force of gravity remains constant throughout its motion.

What factors affect the motion of an accelerated mathematical pendulum?

The motion of an accelerated mathematical pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the strength of the external force, and the initial angle of displacement.

What is the equation for the period of an accelerated mathematical pendulum?

The equation for the period of an accelerated mathematical pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

How is an accelerated mathematical pendulum used in real-world applications?

Accelerated mathematical pendulums are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to model and predict the behavior of pendulum-like systems under the influence of external forces.