Acceleration due to gravity is -9.8m/s^2

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to acceleration and velocity. The first question involves finding the velocity of a stone projected upwards and downwards, with different conventions for positive and negative directions. The second question asks to find the speed of a body halfway between two points, assuming uniform acceleration. The third question involves calculating the time taken for a tram to travel half of its total distance while decelerating uniformly. The answer provided in the book for the third question may be incorrect.
usagi101
First Question:
Assume the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8m/s^2 and ignore air resistance. upward motion is POSITIVE direction

1.a) a stone is projected upwards from O with a speed of 20 m/s find the velocity of the stone after 4 s.

ok this is fairly easy so a=-9.8 u=20 t=4
v=u+at so v=20+(-9.8)4 v=-19.2m/s

the next part says repeat 1.a) for the stone being projected downwards from O with the same speed.

since its down then the acceleration is positive. so a=9.8 and the initial velocity (u) is negative since its DOWNWARDS from O. so u=-20 and t=4
v=u+at so v=-20+9.8x4 v=19.2m/s... however in my book it says that the acceleration is -9.8... and so then u sub that in the formula and u get v=-59.2 m/s. I am just not sure why the acceleration is negative when its downwards. Could some1 explain thanks!

Second Question:
A body is traveling at 20 m/s when it passes point P and 40m/s when it passes point Q. Find its speed when it is halfway from P to Q. assuming uniform acceleration.
ok this question i have no idea lol.. i tried some but i got nowhere. if anyone can explain step by step how to do it thanks!

Third Question:
A tram decelerates uniformly from a speed of 60km/h to rest in 60 s find the time taken for it to travel half the total distance.
ok.. ill leave out some steps but through many checks the total distance(x) traveled is 500m so half of that is 250m. acceleration is worked out to be -5/18m/s^2 and initial speed (u) is 50/3 m/s.
subbing that in the formula --> x=ut+0.5at^2 250=(50/3)t+0.5(-5/18)t^2 and t is worked to be 17.6s or 102.43s but the answer in my book says its 21.96 s. Is it a mistake in the book or did i make a mistake? Thanks.

Thats all the questions. Thanks for anyone who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org

usagi101 said:
First Question:
Assume the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8m/s^2 and ignore air resistance. upward motion is POSITIVE direction

1.a) a stone is projected upwards from O with a speed of 20 m/s find the velocity of the stone after 4 s.

ok this is fairly easy so a=-9.8 u=20 t=4
v=u+at so v=20+(-9.8)4 v=-19.2m/s

the next part says repeat 1.a) for the stone being projected downwards from O with the same speed.

since its down then the acceleration is positive. so a=9.8 and the initial velocity (u) is negative since its DOWNWARDS from O. so u=-20 and t=4
v=u+at so v=-20+9.8x4 v=19.2m/s... however in my book it says that the acceleration is -9.8... and so then u sub that in the formula and u get v=-59.2 m/s. I am just not sure why the acceleration is negative when its downwards. Could some1 explain thanks!

The book is correct. What you need to remember is to adopt sign conventions. So, in your conventions, upwards is positive. Since the velocity is downwards, it will have a negative sign, and since the acceleration is also downwards, it will also have a negative sign. Of course, since these are just conventions, the important thing is that they both have the same sign.

Second Question:
A body is traveling at 20 m/s when it passes point P and 40m/s when it passes point Q. Find its speed when it is halfway from P to Q. assuming uniform acceleration.
ok this question i have no idea lol.. i tried some but i got nowhere. if anyone can explain step by step how to do it thanks!

What did you try? The key here is uniform acceleration.
Third Question:
A tram decelerates uniformly from a speed of 60km/h to rest in 60 s find the time taken for it to travel half the total distance.
ok.. ill leave out some steps but through many checks the total distance(x) traveled is 500m so half of that is 250m. acceleration is worked out to be -5/18m/s^2 and initial speed (u) is 50/3 m/s.
subbing that in the formula --> x=ut+0.5at^2 250=(50/3)t+0.5(-5/18)t^2 and t is worked to be 17.6s or 102.43s but the answer in my book says its 21.96 s. Is it a mistake in the book or did i make a mistake? Thanks.

Thats all the questions. Thanks for anyone who can help!

I can't check this until you put your steps in: so, for example, where fors -5.18m/s^2 come from?

Hi usagi101! :smile:
erm … this is easy … think! :smile:

i] It would be a lot easier if you used units of minutes and km/minute, wouldn't it? :smile:
ii] You don't need to solve the equations … just use dimensions … what is t proportionate to?
iii] I think the book answer is wrong.

Related to Acceleration due to gravity is -9.8m/s^2

What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity, denoted by the symbol g, is the acceleration an object experiences when falling towards a gravitational source, such as the Earth. It is a constant value of approximately -9.8m/s^2.

What factors affect acceleration due to gravity?

The only factors that affect acceleration due to gravity are the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the gravitational source. The mass of the object directly affects the force of gravity, while the distance affects the strength of the gravitational force.

Why is acceleration due to gravity negative?

The negative sign in the value of acceleration due to gravity indicates that the acceleration is directed towards the center of the Earth, which is considered the negative direction. It also shows that the object is accelerating in the opposite direction of the gravitational force.

Is acceleration due to gravity the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the value of acceleration due to gravity can vary slightly depending on the location on Earth. This is because the Earth is not a perfect sphere and has variations in its mass distribution. However, the difference is usually very small and does not significantly affect the value of g.

How is acceleration due to gravity related to weight?

Acceleration due to gravity and weight are directly related. Weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object, and since acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration caused by this force, it can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity.