Acceleration in special relativity

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relation between proper time and coordinate time, and how to find the time dilation using infinitesimal times. The first part of the problem requires finding the time dilation in terms of t, while the second part requires finding it in terms of t'. There is confusion over which equation describes time dilation, with the correct answer being the second one. The conversation also discusses how to solve for the first part without doing the second part, and clarifies that it is possible to get the answer to the second part first.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-16_14-52-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it is known that
##a_0
##is the proper acceleration
##
a= \frac{a_0}{\gamma^3}
##
hence integrating it gets
##
v = \frac{a_0t}{\sqrt{1 + (\frac{a_0 t}{c})^2}}
##
but this is in terms of t how to make it in terms of t'

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the proper time of any worldline related to the coordinate time?

i don't really get your question it is too complicated for me i only know the basics could please simplify it for me thanks

How does ##dt'## relate to ##dt##? Hint: Time dilation.

Likes timetraveller123
ooh that
are you asking for this
##
dt = \gamma(dt' + \frac{xu}{c^2})
##
or
##
dt = \frac{dt'}{\gamma}
##

Which one describes time dilation?

the second one

vishnu 73 said:
the second one
So how can you use that to find ##t## as a function of ##t'##?

the t in time dilation is the time of event measured by each observer but in my case t is the length of the time that has passes from the start

oh okay so considering infinitesimal times is it
##
dt' = \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v}{c}^2}}\\
##
substituting for v(t)
##
dt' = \frac{\sqrt{c^2 + (a_0 t)^2}}{c} dt
##
is it that ?

You have put ##dt'## on both sides in your post ...

Likes timetraveller123
oh sorry now?

but still this is the answer to the second part of the problem how to get answer to first without doing second part

I did not notice before, but you have mixed up the relation between ##dt'## and ##dt##. The proper time elapsed should be smaller than the coordinate time and so the ##\gamma## has to go on the other side, i.e., ##dt' = dt/\gamma##.

vishnu 73 said:
but still this is the answer to the second part of the problem how to get answer to first without doing second part

The way you are doing it you will get the answer to (b) first. Why is that a problem? It is possible to do it in a different way, but you should not let getting the result to a later part as a byproduct when solving an earlier part confuse you and think that it is impossible to do it that way just because you get a result that is asked for later on the way.

Related to Acceleration in special relativity

What is acceleration in special relativity?

Acceleration in special relativity is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time for an object traveling at very high speeds. It is a key concept in understanding the effects of relativity on objects in motion.

How does acceleration in special relativity differ from classical acceleration?

In classical physics, acceleration is defined as the change in an object's velocity over time. However, in special relativity, acceleration is not constant and is affected by the object's speed and the observer's reference frame.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration in special relativity?

The formula for calculating acceleration in special relativity is a = γ^3 * a', where a is the observed acceleration, γ is the Lorentz factor, and a' is the acceleration in the object's rest frame.

How does acceleration affect time and space in special relativity?

In special relativity, acceleration affects time and space by causing time dilation and length contraction. This means that time passes slower and distances appear shorter for an object in motion compared to an object at rest.

What are some real-world examples of acceleration in special relativity?

Some real-world examples of acceleration in special relativity include the motion of particles in particle accelerators, the movement of spacecraft at high speeds, and the behavior of subatomic particles in nuclear reactions.