Acceleration of 4kg Object w/ Force at 37 Degrees

In summary, the task is to find the acceleration of a 4 kg object when a force of 50N and 100N is applied at an angle of 37 degrees. Using F=ma, the correct answer for the acceleration with 50N is 10m/s^2. However, when using F=ma for 100N, the correct answer is not obtained. This is because there is a net upwards force on the block, resulting in an upward acceleration. Taking this into account, the correct acceleration for 100N is 20.6m/s^2 in the upwards direction.
zafer

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of the object in the figure with mass 4 kg when it's applied a force of a)50N b)100N and which makes an angle of 37degrees.(sin 37=0.6,cos 37=0.8)
[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5863/forceg.png

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to take first Fx=ma for 50N which goes in the direction of x-axis I got 10m/s^2 which is correct but when i try with 100N with Fy=ma I don't get the correct answer.Or with Fx=ma
could you please help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the 100N force is applied, note that there is a net upwards force on the block and hence the block has an upward acceleration. Factor that in and you should get the correct answer.

When it applied 100N it should be 20.6m/s^2 upwards direction.

Related to Acceleration of 4kg Object w/ Force at 37 Degrees

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the unit for force?

The unit for force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s². This means that a force of 1 Newton acting on a mass of 1 kg will result in an acceleration of 1 m/s².

How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger mass will require a greater force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

What is the role of temperature in acceleration?

Temperature does not directly affect acceleration. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing the properties of the medium in which the object is moving. For example, a change in temperature can affect the air resistance or friction acting on the object, which can impact its acceleration.