Acid Stripping - with Ultrasonic Assist

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of chemically stripping a metal oxide film from fused silica due to its strong mechanical attraction to the substrate. The use of heated phosphoric acid as a stripping agent is discussed, as well as the possibility of using an ultrasonic bath to assist in the process. However, the speaker shares their past experience of using ultrasound for surface cleaning, stripping, or etching, which resulted in a patterned etch due to standing waves on the surface. They express their uncertainty about using an ultrasonic bath and welcome any insight or experience from others.
lewdtenant
Hello PF,

I am trying to chemically strip a metal oxide film from fused silica. The film was deposited at a fairly high temperature, which makes it more difficult to strip than at lower temperatures. During deposition, the film makes its way into the pores of the substrate and slow cooling induces a strong mechanical attraction of the film onto/inside the surface of the substrate.

It appears that this mechanical attraction is stronger than any chemical attraction with heated phosphoric acid, my acid of choice for this particular metal oxide film. I will probably experiment some with other acids, but my main question is with using an ultrasonic bath.

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience using an ultrasonic bath to assist in chemical stripping? I am thinking about putting my pieces into a heated bath of phosphoric acid and then placing this container inside an ultrasonic cleaning tank. I am thinking that the cavitations from the ultrasonic action will allow the acid to penetrate further into the substrate and help remove the film.

Any insight is welcome/appreciated. Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Every time I used ultrasound to assist in a surface cleaning, stripping or etching it went bad. My experience showed that patterns of standing waves developed on the surface which resulted in a patterned etch.

Related to Acid Stripping - with Ultrasonic Assist

1. What is acid stripping and how does ultrasonic assist work?

Acid stripping is a process used to remove unwanted deposits or coatings from a surface. Ultrasonic assist involves the use of high frequency sound waves to enhance the stripping process. The sound waves create vibrations in the acid solution, increasing its effectiveness in breaking down the deposits.

2. What types of surfaces or materials can be treated with acid stripping and ultrasonic assist?

Acid stripping with ultrasonic assist can be used on a variety of surfaces and materials, including metals, plastics, ceramics, and composites. It is commonly used for cleaning and surface preparation in industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, and automotive.

3. Is acid stripping with ultrasonic assist safe?

When performed by trained professionals, acid stripping with ultrasonic assist is generally considered safe. However, proper safety precautions must be followed, including the use of personal protective equipment and proper ventilation, as the acid solution can be corrosive and produce fumes.

4. How does acid stripping with ultrasonic assist compare to other methods of surface cleaning?

Compared to other methods such as sandblasting or chemical cleaning, acid stripping with ultrasonic assist offers several advantages. It is a more precise and controlled process, as the intensity of the ultrasonic waves can be adjusted. It also does not produce any dust or particles, making it a cleaner option.

5. What are the limitations of acid stripping with ultrasonic assist?

While acid stripping with ultrasonic assist is effective for many applications, it may not be suitable for all surfaces or materials. Some materials may be too delicate or sensitive to the acid solution and ultrasonic waves, and may require alternative methods of cleaning. Additionally, the process may take longer and require multiple passes for heavily coated surfaces.