Adding silver to bronze in foundry

• Thread starter gregfoundry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silver
In summary, the speaker is an artist who wants to add silver and tin to bronze for resonance in their musical instruments. They have no experience in alloy production but have worked with investment casting and are considering adding antimony. They are also open to using recycled bronze instead. The speaker is curious about the science behind the effect of these metals on sound quality and is interested in learning more about basic metallurgy to better understand the process of mixing metals.
gregfoundry
Hi I am just curious as to how to add silver and tin to bronze to change its sound... I am making some musical instruments that need to have these metals included for resonance. Being an artist with a small foundry just for casting my own work I have no experience in the production of alloys ... although I have some experience with the process of investment casting and a little in sand and ceramic shell. I have copper, tin, silver and am thinking of maybe adding antmony . If it is easier I can get recycled bronze and just add the extras to that ...maybe...? Would be grateful for any help or to be pointed in the right direction for help
Greg

Engineering news on Phys.org
What dictates that silver and tin need to be added for resonance?

Just interested!

As far as I know you can add lead as well...some how the sound quality changes to what is wanted for bells,cymbals etc. I think maybe my word resonance may have been incorrect. These softer metals seem to maybe slow the sound waves and create undertones that just make for a nicer sound. I am wanting to add silver instead of lead because it just is nicer to work with. But I do not really know in a scientific sense why this happens. I guess my question really lies in basic metallurgy of which I am becoming more and more interested. Still keen to know how to mix these metals.

Related to Adding silver to bronze in foundry

1. What is the purpose of adding silver to bronze in a foundry?

Adding silver to bronze in a foundry is done to create a stronger and more durable alloy. Silver has a higher melting point and a lower density than bronze, which allows it to fill in any gaps or imperfections in the bronze. This results in a stronger and more homogeneous alloy.

2. How much silver should be added to bronze in a foundry?

The amount of silver added to bronze in a foundry depends on the desired properties of the final alloy. Generally, a small percentage of silver (around 3-5%) is added to bronze to improve its strength and ductility. However, the exact amount may vary depending on the specific application.

3. What is the process of adding silver to bronze in a foundry?

The process of adding silver to bronze in a foundry involves melting the bronze and silver separately at their respective melting points and then combining them into a molten alloy. The alloy is then poured into a mold and allowed to cool and solidify into the desired shape.

4. What are the benefits of adding silver to bronze in a foundry?

The addition of silver to bronze in a foundry results in an alloy that is stronger, more corrosion-resistant, and more malleable. This makes it suitable for a wide range of applications, including jewelry making, metalworking, and sculpture.

5. Are there any drawbacks to adding silver to bronze in a foundry?

One potential drawback of adding silver to bronze in a foundry is the increased cost. Silver is a more expensive metal than bronze, so the cost of the final alloy may be higher. Additionally, if not done properly, the addition of silver can alter the color and appearance of the bronze, which may not be desirable for certain applications.