Advice Needed: Majoring in Computer Engineering & Minoring in Math

In summary, the speaker is planning to major in Computer Engineering and minor in Math and Econ. They are considering taking History of Mathematics as one of their minor courses, but are also interested in Discrete Math and Linear Algebra. They are seeking recommendations for "fun" math classes and are disappointed that the class on theory of coding has too many pre-requisites. They mention needing two more math courses to finish their minor.
ineedhelpnow
hey guys (Wave). ok so i been thinking. what I'm going to do is major in Computer Engineering and get a minor in math and econ. for a minor in math i need two more classes after my required math classes for engineering. i am thinking to take History of Mathematics. i want to take discrete math but for that i need a class required before that which is not in my required courses for C.E. so that would mean an extra course. I hate my adviser so I am coming to you guys :eek: do you guys think i should take or do you guys recommend any other "fun" math class?

Physics news on Phys.org
or linear algebra. i might take that instead. or a beginning advanced mathematics class...

i want to take the class that's about theory of coding but it has 3 pre-reqs...

Last edited:
Just two courses to finish the Minor ? Strange !

Linear algebra and discrete mathematics are fun and interesting.

ZaidAlyafey said:

I would recommend those too. Definitely useful to know as a computer engineer. (Cool)

ZaidAlyafey said:

yeah because i need to take calc1,2,3 and differential equations and then i need to more math courses. i might take linear algebra i think. i really wanted to take the theory of coding but it has too many classes that are pr-requisites.

Related to Advice Needed: Majoring in Computer Engineering & Minoring in Math

What is the difference between majoring in computer engineering and minoring in math?

The main difference between majoring in computer engineering and minoring in math is the level of focus on each subject. Computer engineering is a broad field that combines aspects of both computer science and electrical engineering. By majoring in computer engineering, students will gain a broad understanding of both hardware and software systems. On the other hand, minoring in math allows students to gain a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in various fields, including computer engineering.

What are the potential career options for someone with a major in computer engineering and a minor in math?

With a major in computer engineering and a minor in math, individuals can pursue a wide range of career options in industries such as software development, computer hardware engineering, data analysis, and computer systems design. They can also work in research and development, programming, and data science roles.

How will the combination of computer engineering and math benefit me in my future career?

The combination of computer engineering and math provides a strong foundation for a successful career in various industries. With a deep understanding of both hardware and software systems, as well as mathematical principles and their applications, individuals can solve complex technical problems and design efficient and innovative solutions. This combination also opens up opportunities for individuals to work in cutting-edge fields such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data analytics.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from majoring in computer engineering and minoring in math?

Majoring in computer engineering and minoring in math will equip individuals with a diverse set of skills and knowledge. They will have a strong understanding of computer systems and programming languages, as well as mathematical concepts and their applications. They will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are essential for success in technical fields.

Are there any specific courses or electives I should take to complement my major in computer engineering and minor in math?

There are several courses and electives that can complement a major in computer engineering and a minor in math. Some options include computer architecture, algorithms and data structures, discrete mathematics, and linear algebra. It is also beneficial to take courses in related fields such as physics, statistics, and computer science to gain a well-rounded understanding of the subject matter.