Advice to enhance my profile for grad school

yalhyari
Hello,

I am currently in my final year of undergraduate study (major in theoretical physics and minor in mathematics). I am looking at a 3.622 overall (CGPA) and a 3.87 physics gpa (liberal arts school so I had to make that distinction lol) by the time I graduate. For my research experience, I am doing research in the summer and will have to do a thesis to graduate. However, I did not go to a big name school, I went to a prestigious school in the Middle East, but it is not very popular outside the region and does not rank highly. I am unsure how competitive my application would be among other applicants, I am looking to apply for a masters in mathematics or Statistics or Physics (still unsure) at universities like Uchicago, Duke, UNC, Sorbonne (in Paris), Imperial College London. Is there anything I can do to make my profile stand out more?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is "Middle East". The best universities are in Israel, and I assume that's not where you are. The absolute best universities outside of Israel are on par with decent US state universities (say Iowa or Indiana), and are not peers with Chicago or even Duke. While undergrads from Iowa can end up going to Chicago, these are there best students, not merely pretty good.

Are you among the best students? The 3.6 suggests not. Your description of your university also suggests that we are not talking about the very best in your country.

The next issue is that applications are due by the end of the year, so you are already 6/7 of the way done. You don't have much lever arm to increase your GPA or to get deeply involved in research.

So two questions for you:
1. Are you open to doing a PhD at a university with less of a big name?
2. What did you get on a practice PGRE?

If you're looking at a master's degree in mathematics or statistics, but your undergraduate major is physics, make sure you look deeply into the course requirements for entry. A minor may not be sufficient for graduate school entry. Make sure that your senior year coursework qualifies you for the next step.