Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, and the MCU

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shield
In summary, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a unique and unprecedented event in the history of the movie and TV industry. The series and movies are interconnected, and the fans are enjoying it.
ZapperZ said:
(i) the possibility that Lash is someone we already know (my bet is on Rosalind); (ii) and Simmons wanting (or was it needing?) to go back to the planet she was stranded on.

If it is Simmons. And not, e.g. Kree-Simmons, like the Eddie McClintock character. (And for that matter, Lash looks sort of Kree-esque. And at the risk of a bad pun, "Funny, you don't look blueish.")

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope everyone who could saw last night's episode. The reviews on it are exploding all over the web, some calling it the best SHIELD episode ever!

I'm hoping that this will not be just a "rescue Will" storyline and ends there, and that the monolith and what's going on on that planet can somehow play an integral role in the rest of the story. After all, this is something Hydra and ATCU know nothing about.

Zz.

Another excellent episode. Not much on the monolith this week but we know who Lash is now.
It makes you wonder how many times SHIELD can be its own worst enemy. Will Andrew eventually be left with no choice but to run off and join Ward's Hydra? After all, Ward needs a new #2 since Kebo got the electric treatment in the pool.

Borg said:
Another excellent episode. Not much on the monolith this week but we know who Lash is now.
It makes you wonder how many times SHIELD can be its own worst enemy. Will Andrew eventually be left with no choice but to run off and join Ward's Hydra? After all, Ward needs a new #2 since Kebo got the electric treatment in the pool.

That twist came totally unexpected! It is keeping me riveted to the series, but there are simply too many things going on right now.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That twist came totally unexpected! It is keeping me riveted to the series, but there are simply too many things going on right now.
Zz.
Yes, I would like to see a few loose ends tied up before too many more plot twists.
For a while, I really thought that Lash was the creature on Jemma's planet and that it had somehow followed her to earth. So much for that idea. :oldtongue:

BTW, don't you think that when they treated "him", they'd notice something odd with him physiologically? I'm sure they'll argue that you have to be looking for the mutation in his DNA to detect that he is an inhuman, but you'd think that they will be thorough in their medical treatment.

Zz,

ZapperZ said:
That twist came totally unexpected!

Indeed, as it was speculated in this very thread.

I find it somewhat dissatisfying, as it explains "who" but not "why".

Vanadium 50 said:
Indeed, as it was speculated in this very thread.

I find it somewhat dissatisfying, as it explains "who" but not "why".

As in why he's Lash? Maybe he too took the fish oil supplements. But I'm sure we'll know more on why he's killing all the inhumans as the series progresses.

Zz,

ZapperZ said:
But I'm sure we'll know more on why he's killing all the inhumans as the series progresses.

But that's the mystery. He's not killing all of them. He's leaving some of them alone.

********SPOILER ALERT********
Wow! I don't know about you guys, but I almost pulled my hair out with last night's episode.

Just when I thought that one story line (the monolith) is winding down, even though FitzSimmons were trying to find a way back to rescue Will, along came the Hydra connection to this whole thing! This means that what SHIELD managed to do in rescuing Simmons is going to be what Hydra wants.

I'm beginning to see it now. All the different and seemingly-parallel storylines are coming together.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
********SPOILER ALERT********
Wow! I don't know about you guys, but I almost pulled my hair out with last night's episode.

Just when I thought that one story line (the monolith) is winding down, even though FitzSimmons were trying to find a way back to rescue Will, along came the Hydra connection to this whole thing! This means that what SHIELD managed to do in rescuing Simmons is going to be what Hydra wants.

I'm beginning to see it now. All the different and seemingly-parallel storylines are coming together.

Zz.
********MORE SPOILERS********And Ward is becoming more evil by the episode. He is really accepting his place in the universe and just going with it. I have to admit though that the in-flight announcement was a nice touch.

I would bet that the baby monolith will be used to regenerate the big one that was destroyed allowing Hydra to return the creature from the alien planet. But, I got burned thinking that Rosalind was Lash so what do I know? :oldeyes:

With Agent Carter making her return in January and the next Avengers-related movie in the spring being Captain America: Civil War, I expect that there will be a lot of Hydra-related plots coming.

BTW, the last item on this list of upcoming Marvel movies tells me that the Inhumans are here to stay.

I really enjoyed Shield season 1,2 but I'm not sure about 3...
Ok we don't like this movies for hardness, but still... some crystals leaking into water create something countrywide, worlwide, what??
If they are so efficient, a singe fragment were enough for whole Shield ship...
"The world isn't prepared to accept this..." (Skye to that new character ) Avengers saved a whole town, does that count nothing??

ABC has started to run promo for the mid-season premier of SHIELD:

I think this is going to be good, especially with Ward right in the thick of things. But there is still the question with Lash...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I think this is going to be good, especially with Ward right in the thick of things. But there is still the question with Lash...
I thought ward was dead, and "it" took the form of ward. Is that not the case?

I really want Coulson to return in the movies, maybe in infinity wars. Maybe he'd try to hide himself from the avengers while trying to help them. I want the movies to explain his resurrection, because people who don't watch SHIELD still think he's dead, and think I'm crazy when I say he's still alive.

Isaac0427 said:
I thought ward was dead, and "it" took the form of ward. Is that not the case?

Well OK, if you want to be picky about it, Ward's body + alien.

Zz.

Don't forget, for those of us in the US, Agents of SHIELD comes back this coming Tuesday. ABC has released the preview of the first episode.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/coulson-offers-a-hard-choice-in-new-clip-from-agents-of-shield-winter-premiere

Since the mid-season finale, a lot of stuff has been written about Coulson and how his killing of Ward is a major turning point. I admit that I don't get it. Why is this a big deal? After all, earlier on, he sent out Hunter to kill Ward specifically. Isn't this the same thing? Is it because in this one, Coulson killed Ward himself, with his "bare" hand? This is what will trigger a darker side of Coulson?

I won't be surprised there's more to it than that, because I don't think Coulson killing Ward by itself is enough of an event to cause such a major turning point.

Zz.

That was a great episode!
There is definitely something going on with It. What exactly is his power? Does Malek even know? This new inhuman team does seem capable of taking on It, but I bet we'll see some casualties in the fight. It will also be interesting to see Coulson work with Talbot. Next week will be a great episode!

SPOILER ALERT!

I have mixed feelings about last night's mid-season premier.

On one hand, it is nice to see things are almost going back to "normal", i.e. SHIELD going after the baddies and trying to find inhumans. On the other hand, it feels as if they rushed through the entire thing. I mean, at different stages, various SHIELD agents were captured and kidnapped. Yet, they all got resolved in a matter of minutes.

So this episode feels more like setting up the pieces. The most intriguing aspect of the whole show last night was the very beginning, which was a flash-forward to 3 months later. Now THAT caught my attention because it seems to indicate that a SHIELD agent in a space vessel will die. I'm guessing that the show will eventually move to that point in time. And of course, I'm dying to find the connecting point between the show and the upcoming Captain America movie.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The most intriguing aspect of the whole show last night was the very beginning, which was a flash-forward to 3 months later. Now THAT caught my attention because it seems to indicate that a SHIELD agent in a space vessel will die.
My thought was that it may not be a SHIELD agent. I don't thing we have heard the last of that weird planet the monolith takes you to.

Are Bobbi and Hunter actually gone?!

Isaac0427 said:
Are Bobbi and Hunter actually gone?!

A possible series of their own is in the works.

Zz.

I liked seeing William Sadler as the President.

"You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper."

*********SPOILER ALERT***********

I must say that I was rather disappointed by last night's SHIELD episode. It's my first disappointment of the entire season 3.

1. Since when is "coercion" such a taboo within SHIELD? I've followed this from the very beginning, and in one way or another, SHIELD agents have done a number of things to get information out of people. What Daisy did in that vehicle was NOTHING compared to some of them. So why is this suddenly such a big deal?

2. This new baddies, the "Watchdogs", is a distraction, even though it appears to be the brainchild of Mallick. First of all, why didn't the ATCU be the one going after them, rather than SHIELD? The ATCU has the official backing of the government, and they were the ones being targeted. Secondly, this is, so far, a diversion off the main story line. It got nowhere and didn't advance the story other than to introduce another character. Maybe they have something in store for him later, but as of now, I hate that they have to introduce this into the story.

3. Why is there another "supergroup" of people that SHIELD has to deal with? Last half-season, it was the ATCU. Now that ATCU is sort of in the background, it seems that the producers deem it appropriate to introduce ANOTHER organization that SHIELD has to battle, for no good reason, in addition to going after Hydra. Why can't Hydra encounter a new enemy for a change?

So yeah, I watched last night's episode while all these things running through my head.

Zz.

I watched Spacetime, and see that it fell into a bad writing trap: the Good Guys actions are all logical, but the Bad Guys are not.

******** SPOILER ALERT*********

Don't read any further if you don't want to know about Captain America-Civil War.

I started this thread because I was fascinated and was in awe of the way Marvel was juggling the MCU with the movies and SHIELD TV series. I find the interwoven and interconnection between all the various media something that I haven't seen before, at least, not at this scale and not sustained this long.

Well now, I'm truly disappointed. After seeing how SHIELD series smoothly interwoven with Capt. America - Winter Soldier and Avengers - Age of Ultron, the latest movie Capt. America - Civil War didn't have any clear or clever connection with SHIELD's episode from last week. The trailer for SHIELD for this coming week appears to make a reference to the Sokovia accord, but I don't expect there to be much cross-referencing. The aspect of the MCU that got me sucked into this whole thing in the first place is almost non-existent.

The split between the Marvel movies and the TV/media format seems to be directly related to the animosity between Kevin Feige, the head of Marvel movie division, and Ike Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel and who still control the rest of Marvel's brand. As a result, I am guessing that the Marvel movies are ignoring the events happening in SHIELD. And that is sad.

I was disappointed with Winter Soldier, even though it had a nice tie-in with SHIELD. I was highly disappointed with Age of Ultron, and now, after seeing Civil War, I continue to be disappointed. Don't get me wrong. Civil War was a fun movie, great action pieces, and a fine story. But I've been highly disappointed in the scope of the story. Let's look at it carefully.

Winter Soldier was one souped up human (Bucky) giving Capt. America, Black Widow, and the rest of the "Good Guys" a run for their money (albeit, he was a Hydra weapon). Age of Ultron was basically The Avengers chasing their own tail, trying to clean up a mess of their own doing. And now, in Civil War, they are fighting among themselves, and get this, it was all instigated by ONE DISGRUNTLED DUDE! Seriously?

Compare that with what is going on on SHIELD! They are dealing with inhumans, you got a creature that got to Earth through some wormhole, and he's going to take over the Earth by turning everyone into inhumans. Not only that, he could make long-distance "hey, come get me" to the Kree! Call me crazy, but the storyline on SHIELD is a LOT more ominous than what has been going on in the Avengers/Capt. America movies lately. While the Avengers are busy fighting themselves or trying to get each other to sign the Sakovia accord, the rest of Earth is slowly being consumed by people getting in contact with the terrigan crystal from their fish oil!

What drew me in with the MCU is no longer as unique and fascinating. The Avengers/Avengers Lite movies (Civil War is Avengers Lite, minus Thor and Hulk) have trivial storylines when compared with the more doomsday-like storylines on SHIELD. And the interconnectedness between the two is gone, or is very weak at best.

And speaking of SHIELD, the 2nd half of SHIELD is getting to be tiresome. I'm tired of the Hive already. He needs to either Go Bad, or Go Home! This is another disappointment, considering how amazing the first half of Season 3 was.

Zz.

I actually stopped watching SHIELD completely a few weeks ago. :oldfrown:

This is the first time ever that I haven't followed a Joss Whedon series right through to the end... :oldcry:

I complained about Spacetime before, where the villains act illogically - their actions are solely to provide Our Heroes something to do. (Why? I guess they're just evil Or maybe that's Kree-vil"!) We've seen similar illogic in the last episode as well - why use Daisy's blood, since she's right there and willing when you can instead call down a couple of Kree and have a hard time of it?

The connection to the films don't bother me as much - it's hard to sync TV and films, especially with unpredictability of exact release dates. It does seem a bit odd that the Avengers are taking on the JV team of supervillains, and leaving the big baddies to S.H.I.E.L.D.

***********SPOILER ALERT*************

Don't read anymore if you don't want to know about last night's episode of SHIELD.

OK, they sort of redeemed themselves a bit with last night's episode. I mean, I laughed out loud (did I cheered?) when the plane opened and it was Lash that was sent to meet Hive! That was brilliant!

Still, why didn't Lash finish off the Hive? It is obvious that he was capable to do that after overpowering the devil. This part, I don't understand.

As I expected, SHIELD made more effort to tie in with what happened with Captain America-Civil War. The implication of the Sokovia accord, and the death of Agent Carter were all in the episode. I just wish the movies try to weave what's going on in SHIELD, and up the level of their "problems" to the ones that SHIELD faces.

Who will die next week in the 2-hour season finale?

Zz.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet but I've been waiting for when Lash would go up against Hive. Going to see Captain America today though. :woot:

ZapperZ said:
Still, why didn't Lash finish off the Hive? It is obvious that he was capable to do that after overpowering the devil. This part, I don't understand.
As usual with the show. Don't finish off the baddies when you have a chance that's also a very convenient coincidence. Lash may have had Hive where he wanted him but Daisy was previously able to give Lash a hard time. How nice that she was too tired from giving blood to put up much of a fight. :oldeyes:

And, speaking of coincidences, I thought that the Civil War movie's big problem was the convenient location of the security camera when the Winter Soldier attacked the car on a lonely country road - plus the fact that there weren't any security cameras in general use at that time. Without that 'footage' a big chunk of the movie's plot doesn't occur.

ZapperZ said:
Who will die next week in the 2-hour season finale?
My bet is on Mack because he has a cross like the one that is seen floating in space in Daisy's premonition even though it's probably being shown to mislead everyone. With all the powered people he's been going up against, Mack is becoming more of a punching bag these days.

He's beginning to look like a red shirt from Star Trek.
expendabilitytrek.png

Likes CalcNerd
ZapperZ said:
I can only hope that they might consider bringing back Bobbie and Hunter to SHIELD.

Zz.
Seconded.