Air Crash Investigation: A Technical Journey and an Emotional Rollercoaster

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of crying and whether it is natural for men to cry. Some participants share their personal experiences with crying, including during movies and over the death of pets. Others argue that crying is a natural and healthy way to express emotions. The conversation also touches on the subject of gender stereotypes and societal expectations for men to suppress their emotions.
lisab said:
Wow! o:) That's cool! So what was wrong with the fish? Are you a biologist?
He had bloat. I had a needle.

pssssss...

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
He had bloat. I had a needle.

pssssss...

I did the same thing to my Lucy. She survived, but I don't think the surgery worked. So one day when I knew she didn't have long to go, I took her and her husband Ricky for a walk in the Columbia River. Everyone had a grand time. Ricky died the next day. Lucy a week later. But still no tears. I knew she had lived a good life.

lucygoesforawalk.jpg

wolram said:
Just for the technical side i like to watch air crash investigation, it has all ways been an interest to me as to how things can fail, but i seem to be getting all sissy and weeping
watching the programs, surly this not natural for a male.

no true man weeps

Did you, by chance, see Brett Favre's goodbye speech the other day. I wouldn't call a Packer a sissy (unless from a long distance), but there were a bunch crying.

marlon said:
no true man weeps

True if we do cry it's without blubbing and sans handkerchief. A manly tear rolls down our cheek, occasionally, but that's about it. We certainly don't get lots of hugs and sympathy, it's a very private affair between a man and his respective passions. :wink:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
True if we do cry it's without blubbing and sans handkerchief. A manly tear rolls down our cheek, occasionally, but that's about it. We certainly don't get lots of hugs and sympathy, it's a very private affair between a man and his respective passions. :wink:

Truer words were never spoken, man...

marlon

OmCheeto said:
I've lost 47 goldfish to date and have yet to shed a tear. Is there something wrong with me?

Depends...was Pepperidge Farm printed on the bag they came in? :rolleyes:

Well it seems i am not as hard as i thought i was, i must work on this weakness, may be i should watch party political programs instead of disaster related topics.

wolram said:
Well it seems i am not as hard as i thought i was, i must work on this weakness, may be i should watch party political programs instead of disaster related topics.

Maybe it was that "notaflu" you had that made your insides all mushy.

Moonbear said:
Maybe it was that "notaflu" you had that made your insides all mushy.

May be, how can anyone reconcile being mortal?

wolram said:

Alcohol is nice.

OmCheeto said:
I've lost 47 goldfish to date and have yet to shed a tear. Is there something wrong with me?

Yes, you seem to be prone to misplacing your goldfish.

DaveC426913 said:
*whom I wrote a poem for:
"I like Spike."**

**What? I didn't say it was a good poem. I'm a fish buff, not a poet.

Oh, my wet pet.

-Author Unknown

Google "fisherman poetry". You can be both. :biggrin:

Is this men's talk?

This thread sucks because it's insulting to men, hence : THREAD LOCKED

Moonbear said:
If a guy DIDN'T cry over losing a pet, I'd think something was seriously wrong with him!

Three days after this post we lost our beloved cat Einstein. He was seventeen years old almost to the day; and healthy right to the end. He was hit by a car; probably couldn't hear well enough anymore. It is a very, very sad week for Tsu and I.

Ivan Seeking said:
Three days after this post we lost our beloved cat Einstein. He was seventeen years old almost to the day; and healthy right to the end. He was hit by a car; probably couldn't hear well enough anymore. It is a very, very sad week for Tsu and I.
Oh, Ivan, I am so sorry. When my cat Bob died, I was in bed crying for two days. She was so special. When she had kittens, she came and got me, and wouldn't give birth unless I sat next to her the entire time. She suffered a brain concussion during the last litter she had, either a car accident , or kicked in the head by a horse. I found her staggering home and soaked to the bone. She had one dilated pupil that indicated a concussion. She'd also been attacked by some cruel kids that shoved a stick into her abdomen.

When she died, she collapsed and died in the street in front of me trying to make it home.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat Ivan.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

I am very, very sorry to hear this news about your sweet Einstein.

How heartbreaking! I love my kitty soooo much, I can't imagine losing her.

Ivan, I'm so sorry. It sounds like he had a healthy, long life. My sympathies to you and Tsu. I lost my beloved kitty, Mr. Jones, by being hit by a car.

Evo, your story made me want to cry! I hate cruelty so much. It's the quickest way to get me totally irrational. Reading your story made me think of all the ways I would pummel those damn psychopathic kids! I'm so sorry!

wolram said:
Kurdt said:
Alcohol is nice.

This is one of my favorite quotes:

Oh many a peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the Muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.
· A.E. Houseman​

CaptainQuasar said:
This is one of my favorite quotes:

Oh many a peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the Muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.
· A.E. Houseman​

Very nice!

Thanks all. Yeah, he was a really great kitty - very loving, extremely smart, completely attached to both Tsu and I as we were both completely attached to him. After seventeen years of his ever-presense in our lives it will be difficult to get used to this. That's a lot of years of reaching up while half asleep and knowing that he'd be there.

Ivan Seeking said:
Please accept my condolensces Ivan. :frown: I am very attached to our animal members of our family.

I had a good cry this morning...

Wanna know why ?

marlon

marlon said:

Wanna know why ?

marlon
Why?

Astronuc said:
Why?

the answer is in the "oohh nno another i want to quit smoking thread"

marlon

Well - hang in there. Keep it up.

Certainly men cry in conjunction with a strong emotional response, such as at the loss of a loved one.

Crying is very natural. Not crying is unnatural.

Astronuc said:
Well - hang in there. Keep it up.

Certainly men cry in conjunction with a strong emotional response, such as at the loss of a loved one.

Crying is very natural. Not crying is unnatural.

Astro,

You natural tendency to be diplomatic never stops to amaze me

RESPECT BRO

marlon

marlon said:

Wanna know why ?

marlon

Have you gone all iffeminate? :wink::smile:

Nah just kidding, I cry only at things that aren't related to reality, you know like movies and stuff, I have no idea why. I reckon if my entire familly was killed in a bus wreck I probably wouldn't cry. It's very strange.

marlon said:
Astro,

You natural tendency to be diplomatic never stops to amaze me

RESPECT BRO

marlon
That's because he is such a girlie.

marlon said:

Wanna know why ?

marlon

Your (g) string broke?

wolram said: