Air does not intervene with radiation

In summary, it is important to understand that air does not intervene with radiation because it affects how we measure and perceive radiation levels. Air is transparent to most forms of radiation, so it does not affect transmission or block radiation. Air plays a minimal role in the movement of radiation, and altitude does not have a significant effect on the interaction between air and radiation.
mech-eng
I cannot understand the expression "air does not intervene with radiation". Would you please explain what it means in detail?

" Considering that air does not intervene with radiation and the person is completely enclosed by the surrounding surfaces, the net rate of radiation heat transfer from the person to the surrounding walls, ceiling, and the floor is, from Eq"

Thermodynamics An Engineering Approach

http://www.people.vcu.edu/~vnicule/Part II First Law.htm

Engineering news on Phys.org
That means that they are ignoring any termal radiation absorbed or emitted by the air in the room. If you are indoors and not in a very large room the error from this shouldn't be too large.

willem2 said:
That means that they are ignoring any termal radiation absorbed or emitted by the air in the room. If you are indoors and not in a very large room the error from this shouldn't be too large.

I have looked some meanings of intervene. But I cannot find a definition for it for this case

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/intervene

What could be a definition for intervene with used as in the example?

Thank you.

Intervene means 'get in the way of or intercept':

rewritten: Considering that air does not interfere with radiation and does not affect radiation coming from the human in reaching the walls, and the person is completely enclosed by the surrounding surfaces, the net rate of radiation heat transfer from the person to the surrounding walls, ceiling, and the floor is, from Eq

Likes davenn
jim mcnamara said:
Intervene means 'get in the way of or intercept':

rewritten: Considering that air does not interfere with radiation and does not affect radiation coming from the human in reaching the walls, and the person is completely enclosed by the surrounding surfaces, the net rate of radiation heat transfer from the person to the surrounding walls, ceiling, and the floor is, from Eq
I am confused. Did you mean intervene instead of interfere? We are discussing intervene.

Thank you.

jim mcnamara said:
rewritten: Considering that air does not interfere with radiation
mech-eng said:
I am confused. Did you mean intervene instead of interfere? We are discussing intervene.
I am certain that he meant what he wrote. The rewritten version uses a different word that is close to being a synonym of intervene. When you redefine something, you use different words. If you define a word using the same word, that's a circular definition.

Likes davenn

FAQ: Air does not intervene with radiation

1. Why is it important to understand that air does not intervene with radiation?

It is important to understand that air does not intervene with radiation because it affects how we perceive and measure the amount of radiation in our environment. If we assume that air does intervene with radiation, our measurements and calculations of radiation levels would be inaccurate.

2. How does air affect the transmission of radiation?

Air does not affect the transmission of radiation because it is transparent to most forms of radiation. This means that radiation can easily pass through air without being absorbed or scattered.

3. Can air block radiation?

No, air cannot block radiation. As mentioned earlier, air is transparent to most forms of radiation and does not have the ability to absorb or scatter it. However, certain materials such as lead or concrete can effectively block radiation.

4. What role does air play in the movement of radiation?

Air plays a minimal role in the movement of radiation. Radiation travels in a straight line and can easily pass through air without being affected. However, air can have a slight influence on the direction and intensity of radiation through scattering, but this effect is minimal.

5. How does altitude affect the interaction between air and radiation?

Altitude does not have a significant effect on the interaction between air and radiation. Air at high altitudes may be less dense, but it still does not intervene with radiation. Therefore, the amount of radiation present at high altitudes is not significantly different from that at lower altitudes.