Air friction modeled as a differential equation

In summary: The rest of your work is contingent upon this assumption, so I'll assume you meant something like this:\frac{mg}{b}(t + \frac{m}{b}e^{-bt/m}) - y0 = yWhere y0 is the value of y at time t = 0. This equation is a bit more difficult to work with than if you had assumed that y = 0 at time t = 0, but it's still solvable. (It's still a 1st order linear nonhomogeneous ODE.) Another thing that's a bit different is that you need to solve for y, not v. But you should get the same answer no matter what you solve for. I'm
DoubleWs
1. Find 'y' in terms of 't' for the equation of the net force on a falling object ƩFy = mg-bv = ma
So I'm pretty sure I found the velocity in terms of time correctly, and I'm interested in having someone check my answer for 'y' in terms of time.

Homework Equations

ƩFy = mg-bv = ma
a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]
b = a constant (drag coefficient)

The Attempt at a Solution

mg - bv = ma

mg - bv = m[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

(g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex])dt = dv

∫dt = ∫[itex]\frac{dv}{g-(bv/m)}[/itex]

g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex] = u

[itex]\frac{du}{dv}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-b}{m}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]du = dv

∫dt = -[itex]\frac{m}{b}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{1}{u}[/itex]du

t + C = [itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]ln(u)

t + C = [itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]ln(g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex])

[itex]\frac{-bt}{m}[/itex] + C = ln(g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex])

e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex] * C = g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex] - C * e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex] = v

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) = v

Ok, so there's 'v' in terms of 't'. Now...

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

∫[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex])dt = ∫dy

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex]∫(1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex])dt = ∫dy

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](t + [itex]\frac{m}{b}[/itex]e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) - C = y

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](t + [itex]\frac{m}{b}[/itex]e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) - 1 = y

Just wondering if all of this is right, and if now, how can I fix it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello DoubleWs,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
DoubleWs said:
1. Find 'y' in terms of 't' for the equation of the net force on a falling object ƩFy = mg-bv = ma
So I'm pretty sure I found the velocity in terms of time correctly, and I'm interested in having someone check my answer for 'y' in terms of time.

Homework Equations

ƩFy = mg-bv = ma
a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]
b = a constant (drag coefficient)

The Attempt at a Solution

mg - bv = ma

mg - bv = m[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

(g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex])dt = dv

∫dt = ∫[itex]\frac{dv}{g-(bv/m)}[/itex]

g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex] = u

[itex]\frac{du}{dv}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-b}{m}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]du = dv

∫dt = -[itex]\frac{m}{b}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{1}{u}[/itex]du

t + C = [itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]ln(u)

t + C = [itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]ln(g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex])

[itex]\frac{-bt}{m}[/itex] + C = ln(g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex])

e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex] * C = g - [itex]\frac{bv}{m}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex] - C * e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex] = v
Everything up to this point looks pretty good. At least it's the same result that I came up with. :approve:
[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) = v
But here you're making a big assumption. The above relationship is only true if there is a boundary condition (initial condition) that states v = 0 at time t = 0. There is no such boundary condition in the problem statement.

It might not be a bad assumption though, all I'm saying is the problem statement never mentions it. (There probably should be some sort of boundary conditions though, because if the initial velocity was in the opposite direction [heading up], none of the above would apply for that situation, because the differential equation would become ƩFy = mg+bv = ma until the object turned around.)

All your work below is contingent upon this assumption, so I'll treat everything below as though v = 0 at time t = 0.
Ok, so there's 'v' in terms of 't'. Now...

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

∫[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex])dt = ∫dy

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex]∫(1 - e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex])dt = ∫dy

[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](t + [itex]\frac{m}{b}[/itex]e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) - C = y
Everything seems to check out so far. :approve:
[itex]\frac{mg}{b}[/itex](t + [itex]\frac{m}{b}[/itex]e[itex]^{-bt/m}[/itex]) - 1 = y
Something is a bit wrong with the above. I'm assuming here that you have assumed that y = 0 at time t = 0. But even with that assumption, something is still not right. It could be simple matter of missing parenthesis and/or parenthesis not in the right place. But as the equation stands now, it's not dimensionally correct (the y has units of length, and the 1 has no units at all); and y ≠ 0 at time t = 0, which is what I'm guessing you wanted to assume in the first place.

Last edited:

FAQ: Air friction modeled as a differential equation

What is air friction?

Air friction, also known as air resistance, is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the air. It is caused by the collision between the object and the air molecules.

How is air friction modeled as a differential equation?

Air friction is modeled as a differential equation by using Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The differential equation takes into account the velocity of the object, the density of the air, and the cross-sectional area of the object.

What factors affect the amount of air friction an object experiences?

The amount of air friction an object experiences depends on its velocity, the density of the air, and its surface area. Objects with higher velocities, denser air, and larger surface areas will experience more air friction.

How does air friction affect the motion of an object?

Air friction slows down the motion of an object by decreasing its velocity. As the object moves through the air, the force of air friction acts in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to decelerate.

Can air friction be eliminated?

No, air friction cannot be completely eliminated. However, its effects can be reduced by changing the shape or surface texture of an object to minimize its interaction with air molecules. This is often seen in the design of aerodynamic vehicles such as airplanes and race cars.

Back