Ali's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

In summary, an indefinite integral is the opposite of a derivative and involves finding the antiderivative of a function. It can be solved using integration techniques and there is a general formula known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. While indefinite integrals do not have multiple solutions, the constant of integration can take on different values. The purpose of finding indefinite integrals is to solve problems involving continuous change and it is a useful tool in many fields.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

What is the integral of asec(x^(1/2))?

Please show your work.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Ali,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int\sec^{-1}\left(\sqrt{x} \right)\,dx\) where \(\displaystyle 0\le x\)

I would first use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle w=\sqrt{x}\,\therefore\,dx=2w\,dw\)

and we now have:

\(\displaystyle \int 2w\sec^{-1}(w)\,dw\)

Now, using integration by parts, I would let:

\(\displaystyle u=\sec^{-1}(w)\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{w\sqrt{w^2-1}}\,dw\)

\(\displaystyle dv=2w\,dw\,\therefore\,v=w^2\)

and now we have:

\(\displaystyle I=w^2\sec^{-1}(w)-\int\frac{w}{\sqrt{w^2-1}}\,dw\)

Next, using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=w^2-1\,\therefore\,du=2w\,dw\)

we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=w^2\sec^{-1}(w)-\frac{1}{2}\int u^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,du\)

\(\displaystyle I=w^2\sec^{-1}(w)-u^{\frac{1}{2}}+C\)

Back-substitute for $u$:

\(\displaystyle I=w^2\sec^{-1}(w)-\sqrt{w^2-1}+C\)

Back-substitute for $w$:

\(\displaystyle I=x\sec^{-1}\left(\sqrt{x} \right))-\sqrt{x-1}+C\)

Related to Ali's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the opposite of a derivative. It is a mathematical operation that involves finding the antiderivative of a function. In simpler terms, it is a way to reverse the process of taking the derivative to find the original function.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and formulas.

3. Is there a general formula for indefinite integrals?

Yes, there is a general formula for indefinite integrals called the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It states that the indefinite integral of a function f(x) is equal to F(x) + C, where F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x) and C is the constant of integration.

4. Can indefinite integrals have multiple solutions?

No, indefinite integrals do not have multiple solutions. However, the constant of integration (C) can take on different values, resulting in different antiderivative functions that are all valid solutions.

5. What is the purpose of finding indefinite integrals?

The purpose of finding indefinite integrals is to solve problems involving continuous change, such as finding the area under a curve or the displacement of an object over time. It is also an important tool in many areas of science, engineering, and mathematics.