Allowed and Forbidden Electron-Photon Reactions

• Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, using spacetime diagrams and frame-independent calculations, it can be shown that the law of conservation of 4-momentum forbids a photon from being absorbed by an electron. This is due to the fact that in the reference frame of the electron in the final state, the conservation of energy and momentum equations do not allow for the process to occur. Additionally, if the process were to occur in reverse, it would violate the conservation of energy.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Show, using spacetime diagrams and also using frame-independent calculations, that the law of conservation of 4-momentum forbids a photon to be absorbed by an electron, e + γ → e.

Homework Equations

##\textbf{p}_{e1}+\textbf{p}_{\gamma}=\textbf{p}_{e2}## : ##(E_1,\vec{p_1})+(E_{\gamma},E_{\gamma}\vec{n})=(E,\vec{p_2})##,
where ##\textbf{p}## is 4-vector, ##\vec{p}## is ordinary 3-vector and ##\vec{n}## is unit vector in photon's direction.
##E=\sqrt{p^2+m^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I take only 3-vecotrs and I (I hope I may) suppose ##\vec{p_1}=0## i.e. is in rest.
##\vec{0}+E_{\gamma}\vec{n}=p_2\vec{n}=>\sqrt{E^2-m^2}=E_{\gamma}##
First time I put there ##E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2## but I feel it is not good probably. Is my beginning right? What should I use or think about?

Physics news on Phys.org
You used conservation of momentum so far.
What about conservation of energy?

The problem is easier in the reference frame of the electron in the final state.

mfb said:
You used conservation of momentum so far.
What about conservation of energy?

The problem is easier in the reference frame of the electron in the final state.
Ok, ##(\gamma m, \vec{p}) + (E_{\gamma},E_{\gamma}\vec{n})=(m,\vec{0})##. Right? From energy part than we have ##E_{\gamma}=m(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}})<0##. And it is this problem, negative photon's energy?

Right.

Time-reversed, the process would be an electron at rest emitting a photon and gaining kinetic energy at the same time. Written like that, it should be clear that it cannot happen.

Likes Vrbic
mfb said:
Right.

Time-reversed, the process would be an electron at rest emitting a photon and gaining kinetic energy at the same time. Written like that, it should be clear that it cannot happen.
Thank you.

Related to Allowed and Forbidden Electron-Photon Reactions

1. What is an allowed electron-photon reaction?

An allowed electron-photon reaction is a type of interaction that can occur between an electron and a photon. This reaction is allowed by the laws of quantum mechanics and is characterized by the exchange of energy and momentum between the electron and photon.

2. What is a forbidden electron-photon reaction?

A forbidden electron-photon reaction is a type of interaction that cannot occur between an electron and a photon. This reaction is forbidden by the laws of quantum mechanics and is characterized by the conservation of energy and momentum, making it impossible for the electron and photon to exchange energy and momentum.

3. How are allowed and forbidden electron-photon reactions different?

The main difference between allowed and forbidden electron-photon reactions is whether or not they are allowed by the laws of quantum mechanics. Allowed reactions involve the exchange of energy and momentum, while forbidden reactions do not.

4. What determines whether an electron-photon reaction is allowed or forbidden?

The laws of quantum mechanics determine whether an electron-photon reaction is allowed or forbidden. Specifically, the conservation of energy and momentum play a crucial role in determining the feasibility of a reaction.

5. Can forbidden electron-photon reactions ever occur?

Forbidden electron-photon reactions are theoretically impossible, but there are some rare instances where they may occur. These are known as forbidden or suppressed decays, where a particle may undergo a forbidden reaction but at an extremely slow rate.