Alternative Ways of Decreasing Entropy in CCC

In summary, according to Conformal Cyclic Cosmology, if information is destroyed during Black Hole Information Loss, then entropy should decrease. However, other things can be done in order to decrease entropy, such as having an infinite volume of phase space or having gravitational degrees of freedom "scale away."
twistor
Note: This is a question on a particular cosmological scheme, mainly Conformal Cyclic Cosmology.

In Cycles of Time, Penrose says that Black Hole Information Loss causes the entropy to decrease in a way that doesn't violate the 2nd law. I think his analysis is correct, IF it was the case that information is destroyed. But that's not the case, or at least the vast majority of the quantum gravity community doesn't think it is. So, my question is, what other things could nature do in order to make the (gravitational, as Penrose puts it) entropy decrease?
Penrose seems to have in mind some alternatives, mainly
--> "there volume of the phase space is infinite (i. e. there is no a maximum entropy state)".
--> "gravitational degrees of freedom 'scale away' " (I don't know what he means by that)
etc.
I have thought of other crazy ideas, mainly:
--> In an infinite time, some poincaré recurrance ought to happen in a finite time, and that would be the initial state of the next aeon. This doesn't satisfy me, because altough it could happen, one would have to choose a particular entropy value for the start of the next aeon, and that seems too arbitrary.
--> The other option would be proposing that (gravitational) entropy is NOT conformally invariant, and its value significantly decreases in the "squash down" that Penrose proposes. I would be pleased if someone could clarify me the viability of this proposal.

Likes MTd2
I have been reading Cycles Of Time.

Had to go back and scan through it. He talks in depth about a lot, at least that's how I found it. Honestly I need to reread it. I'm not really qualified to answer your question, but I thought it was a good one.

My cartoon of the "scale away" was that in a universe with positive curvature, which I have recently been trying to conceptually de tangle from expansion, the infinite future is like a black hole horizon, and so total entropy of our phase space (as a region or point bounded by that) does something a lot bigger, meaning in some weird sense that the entropy of any point or region of the horizon remains, relatively tiny, or in some sense quasi-constant. I barely could follow it. There was (in COT) also what sounded to me like a really similar idea of the fabric of spacetime being a foam of black holes, so same kindof deal there. One big black hole at the distant future edge. Or a fabric of black holes inside everything. For my part the latter seems more interesting.. seems like a lot has happened, is happening on the LQG (Loop Quantum Gravity) front, since Penrose wrote COT.

To me your proposal re non-conformal g DOF, sound kindof like his discussion of "phase space reduction" - which to me sounded like information destruction. That said, although I try to avoid I do keep coming back to the idea that information of some kind seems to be "going somewhere else" and/or (seems hard to distinguish) "coming from somewhere else". Maybe the phrase "non-conformal g DOF" is like this. Bulk-brane concepts I know have been talked about in the context of string theory, which as I understand it, is closely related to candidate QG theories.Good luck. Hopefully someone will shed more light for us both here.

Last edited:
twistor said:
, one would have to choose a particular entropy value for the start of the next aeon, and that seems too arbitrary..

It's a bit fringe at this point. We can limit the selection bias by 1) Assigning a slight finite deviation before shifting to the next aeon -- and so on until it peaks and repeats again. 2) At the critical PR random field assigns the value of the consecutive aeons. 3) Combination of 1 and 2.. 4) Cycles of antimatter/matter universe... Heck! i'll stop here.

Related to Alternative Ways of Decreasing Entropy in CCC

1. How does CCC help to decrease entropy?

CCC (Causal Closed Circuit) is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes a way to decrease entropy by creating a closed system that continuously cycles energy and information. This constant exchange of energy and information allows for a decrease in entropy, ultimately leading to a more ordered and organized system.

2. Can CCC be applied in real-world scenarios?

Currently, CCC is still a theoretical concept and has not been fully tested or applied in real-world scenarios. However, there are ongoing research and experiments to explore the feasibility of CCC and its potential applications in various fields, such as quantum computing and artificial intelligence.

3. What are the potential benefits of implementing CCC?

If CCC is successfully implemented, it could have significant impacts on various fields, including energy production, information storage and processing, and overall system efficiency. It could also lead to advancements in our understanding of entropy and its role in the universe.

4. Are there any drawbacks to implementing CCC?

As with any new technology or concept, there may be potential drawbacks or limitations to implementing CCC. Some concerns include the complexity and feasibility of creating and maintaining a closed system, the potential for unintended consequences, and the ethical implications of controlling entropy.

5. How is CCC related to other theories of entropy and complexity?

CCC is a relatively new concept and is not yet widely accepted in the scientific community. However, it shares some similarities with other theories, such as the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that entropy in a closed system will always increase over time. CCC also has connections to theories of complexity, as it proposes a way to decrease entropy and increase order in complex systems.