Angle of Tension b/w 2 Dogs Pulling Ropes?

In summary, when two dogs pull horizontally on ropes attached to a post at a 60 degree angle, with dog A exerting 270N and dog B exerting 300N, the magnitude of the resultant force is 493.86N. To find the angle the resultant force makes with dog A's rope, one can use the sine formula in the triangle formed by the resultant and the two tensions, with the angle opposite the resultant being 120 degrees.
Nano-Passion

Homework Statement

Two dogs pull horizontally on ropes attached to a post; the angle between the ropes is 60 degrees. If dog A exerts a force of 270N and dog B exerts a force of 300 N, find the magnitude of the resultant force and the angle it makes with dog A's rope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the resultant force between 2 forces is

[tex]f_{res} = \sqrt{F_{a}^2 + F_{b}^2 + 2 F_{a} F_{b} cos \theta}[/tex]
[itex] = 493.86N [/itex]

This part I got write, the part I don't understand is how to find the angle the resultant force makes with the dog A's rope.

I grabbed the problem on cramster http://www.cramster.com/solution/solution/1339563 and the person uses this formula

[tex]tan \theta = \frac{F_{b} sin 60}{F_{a} + F_{b} cos 60}[/tex]

Homework Statement

But after 30min+ grappling with how he got to that formula I still don't know how!

Please help, I'm going crazy over this lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer to use components rather some formula.

But since you used the cosine formula for the resultant you can use the sine formula to get the angle:

300/sintheta = resultant/sin120

grzz said:
I prefer to use components rather some formula.

But since you used the cosine formula for the resultant you can use the sine formula to get the angle:

300/sintheta = resultant/sin120

You can't because they only give you the angle between the rope, not the direction of pull.

How did you get sin 120?

If you look at the pararellogram whose sides are the tensions, one can use the sine formula in the traingle made up by the resultant and the two tensions. The angle opposite the resultant is 120deg.

I would approach this problem by first drawing a free body diagram of the situation. This will help us visualize the forces acting on the post and the direction of the resultant force.

In this case, we have two forces acting on the post - one from dog A and one from dog B. These forces are acting at different angles, so we can break them down into their x and y components.

Using trigonometry, we can find the x and y components of the forces:

F_{ax} = F_{a} cos 60 = 135 N
F_{ay} = F_{a} sin 60 = 233.55 N
F_{bx} = F_{b} cos 60 = 150 N
F_{by} = F_{b} sin 60 = 259.81 N

Now, we can find the resultant force by adding the x and y components:

F_{rx} = F_{ax} + F_{bx} = 285 N
F_{ry} = F_{ay} + F_{by} = 493.86 N

The magnitude of the resultant force can be found using Pythagorean theorem:

F_{res} = \sqrt{F_{rx}^2 + F_{ry}^2}
= 568.07 N

To find the angle the resultant force makes with dog A's rope, we can use inverse trigonometric functions:

tan \theta = \frac{F_{ry}}{F_{rx}}
\theta = tan^{-1} \left(\frac{F_{ry}}{F_{rx}}\right)
= tan^{-1} \left(\frac{493.86}{285}\right)
= 59.2^{\circ}

So, the angle between the resultant force and dog A's rope is 59.2 degrees.

As for the formula used on Cramster, it is based on the definition of tangent function and the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is 180 degrees. Using this formula, we can also find the same result:

tan \theta = \frac{F_{by}}{F_{bx} + F_{ax}}
= \frac{259.81}{150 + 135}
= 59.2^{\circ}

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. As a scientist, it is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts

Related to Angle of Tension b/w 2 Dogs Pulling Ropes?

1. What is the angle of tension between two dogs pulling ropes?

The angle of tension between two dogs pulling ropes is dependent on various factors such as the size and strength of the dogs, the weight of the objects being pulled, and the surface on which they are pulling. Generally, it is difficult to determine an exact angle as it can vary greatly depending on the specific circumstances.

2. How does the angle of tension affect the dogs' ability to pull the ropes?

The angle of tension can greatly affect the dogs' ability to pull the ropes. If the angle is too small, the dogs may not be able to exert enough force to move the object. On the other hand, if the angle is too large, the dogs may be pulling against each other rather than the object, making it difficult for them to move it.

3. What is the ideal angle of tension for two dogs pulling ropes?

There is no specific ideal angle of tension for two dogs pulling ropes as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier. However, a moderate angle (between 45-60 degrees) is generally considered optimal as it allows both dogs to exert enough force without pulling against each other.

4. Can the angle of tension be changed to increase the dogs' pulling power?

Yes, the angle of tension can be changed to increase the dogs' pulling power. As mentioned earlier, a moderate angle is considered optimal, and adjusting the angle to be closer to this range can help increase the dogs' pulling power. However, it is important to ensure that the dogs are not pulling against each other at an angle that is too small or too large.

5. How can the angle of tension between two dogs be measured?

The angle of tension between two dogs pulling ropes cannot be accurately measured without specialized equipment. However, you can estimate the angle by looking at the position of the dogs and the angle of the ropes. The closer the dogs are to each other and the more parallel the ropes are to the ground, the smaller the angle of tension will be.

Back