Angular acceleration, velocity, momentum of a door?

In summary: I can't find that.e) Combining angular acceleration and linear acceleration considerations, findthe tangential force Fh supplied by the hinges as a function of d, the distancebetween the hinges and the point of application of the mother-in-law force(d was l=2 in part a) and b), and l in part c); now use a general d). Don’tput in explicit numbers, just find the equation.f) For which d do the hinges not need to provide any tangential force?The Attempt at a Solution Can someone check on my solutions, All answers appreciated![/B]a)τ= l/
statii said:
On c.) could the time be 2,53s (also got t= -1,26), used abc formula with α=10 and ω=2? Used the inertia formula that StavangerFinest did: I = (ML^2)/3.
I got t= 0,40s...What did you use as θf and θi?

Physics news on Phys.org
statii said:
used abc formula with α=10 and ω=2?
what is the abc formula?
The time to close is less than 2 s but more than StavangerFinest's 0.4s.

haruspex said:
what is the abc formula?
The time to close is less than 2 s but more than StavangerFinest's 0.4s.
I did it again and i get 0,79s... Assistants told me I shouldn't have used abc formula but a simple t= Δθ/ Δω...
Can you help me with question e) and thereby f) in this exercise though? I got in f) that

d= 2L/3 (two thirds of L)

pretty insecure abt this one

StavangerFinest said:
I did it again and i get 0,79s... Assistants told me I shouldn't have used abc formula but a simple t= Δθ/ Δω...
Can you help me with question e) and thereby f) in this exercise though? I got in f) that

d= 2L/3 (two thirds of L)

pretty insecure abt this one
Right on both.
But I do not agree with your formula in post #33. There should not be any ##\omega## reference. Did you change your formula?

I am stuck on e). What I have done:
T = d x F x sin(theta)
T = I x alpha

I x alpha = d x F x sin(theta)

F (d) = (I x alpha) / (d x sin (theta))
F (d) = (1/3 m x d^2 x a) / (d^2 * sin (theta))

But then all my d's disapear... Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
StavangerFinest said:
I got t= 0,40s...What did you use as θf and θi?
I used tetha final to be pi/2 and tetha initial to be 0, and abc formula with alpha=0, got 0,79s then :)

haruspex said:
Right on both.
But I do not agree with your formula in post #33. There should not be any ##\omega## reference. Did you change your formula?
Just ignore that one. I started over from this formula:

F- Fh= M* a (a centre of mass)

and I worked my way down from there.

leifen said:
I am stuck on e). What I have done:
T = d x F x sin(theta)
T = I x alpha

I x alpha = d x F x sin(theta)

F (d) = (I x alpha) / (d x sin (theta))
F (d) = (1/3 m x d^2 x a) / (d^2 * sin (theta))

But then all my d's dissapear... Am I on the right track?
d shouldn't disappear, no.

StavangerFinest said:
d shouldn't disappear, no.

Badly formulated by me. I am stuck, because the d's disapear, that's my problem. But am I using the right method and formulas?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
That's it.
Sorry, have been busy. I still have 40 in a . Alpha =( ΣF*L/2)/ (1/3*M*(L/2)^2) is my formula. Since it is a uniform rod with an axis through the end and the push is in the middle... I saw answer 10 somewhere... So now I'm puzzled

As haruspex asked: "What is the abc formula?"

As for finding the time for the door to close:
After MIL (mother-in-law) releases the door, its angular velocity is constant. The time interval during which she applies force is fixed at 0.2 seconds (we think so anyway - no confirmation from Haveagoodday )​

Finally: It strikes me that this thread is very weird. We have several respondents, mostly new PF, who jump in at various points, mostly to get help, as if they are also tasked with solving this problem.

Do you folks know each other?Also: It would greatly help if posters would use units with their numerical answers, as well as using the "Reply" feature so it's a bit clearer as to who you're answering or asking.

SammyS said:
As haruspex asked: "What is the abc formula?"

As for finding the time for the door to close:
After MIL (mother-in-law) releases the door, its angular velocity is constant. The time interval during which she applies force is fixed at 0.2 seconds (we think so anyway - no confirmation from Haveagoodday )​

Finally: It strikes me that this thread is very weird. We have several respondents, mostly new PF, who jump in at various points, mostly to get help, as if they are also tasked with solving this problem.

Do you folks know each other?
I bet we are in the same class. Abc formula is what they call formula for solving square equation. X= -b+/- sqrt b^2...

coffeemanja said:
I bet we are in the same class. Abc formula is what they call formula for solving square equation. X= -b+/- sqrt b^2...
The quadratic formula.

By the way:
Is it true that the time of contact with the door is 0.2 seconds? (or as some write: 0,2 seconds)

SammyS said:
The quadratic formula.

By the way:
Is it true that the time of contact with the door is 0.2 seconds? (or as some write: 0,2 seconds)
Yes, that is in the statement of the problem:)

coffeemanja said:
Yes, that is in the statement of the problem:)
Well, it looks like a typo to me in the statement of the problem, as was the l=2 rather than l/2 .
Haveagoodday said:
An angry mother-in-law slams the door shut, by pushing at the middle of

the door (l=2 from the hinges) with a force of F = 100N, lasting a time

t = 0:.00 s.

SammyS said:
Well, it looks like a typo to me in the statement of the problem, as was the l=2 rather than l/2 .
image.jpg

statii said:
On c.) could the time be 2,53s (also got t= -1,26), used abc formula with α=10 and ω=2? Used the inertia formula that StavangerFinest did: I = (ML^2)/3.
in c i get 0.395s
coffeemanja said:
Sorry, have been busy. I still have 40 in a . Alpha =( ΣF*L/2)/ (1/3*M*(L/2)^2) is my formula. Since it is a uniform rod with an axis through the end and the push is in the middle... I saw answer 10 somewhere... So now I'm puzzled
you are using the wrong value of l, you have to put in the total width of the door in the equation, it doesn't matter where she pushes the door, it only matters when calculating the torque.

Haveagoodday said:
in c i get 0.395s

you are using the wrong value of l, you have to put in the total width of the door in the equation, it doesn't matter where she pushes the door, it only matters when calculating the torque.
Yeah, got that already. Thanks anyway!

Haveagoodday said:
in c i get 0.395s
It's about double that. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
yeah, i recalculated and got 0.785s.

Haveagoodday said:
yeah, i recalculated and got 0.785s.
Excellent.

Likes Haveagoodday
haruspex said:
Can I post mine?
Θf=Θi+ωi*t+0.5αt^2
90=0+2t+0.5*10t...and the result is far of the one you say is correct...

coffeemanja said:
Can I post mine?
Θf=Θi+ωi*t+0.5αt^2
you have to use this equation t= θf-θi/wf-wi
and you also have to use radians instead of degrees.

coffeemanja said:
Can I post mine?
Θf=Θi+ωi*t+0.5αt^2
What is the are value you putting for alpha here? What units do you have for omega?

Haveagoodday said:
wf-wi? Did you mean that?

Haveagoodday said:
you
haruspex said:
wf-wi? Did you mean that?
yes

haruspex said:
What is the are you putting for alpha here? What units do you have for omega?
That one was closest to theta. 90 degrees.
That is the formula for rotational motion...if alpha is a constant

Haveagoodday said:
you

yes
I've never seen that equation, and if you were to apply it you would get infinity. w does not change after the force on the door ceases.

coffeemanja said:
You did not answer either question. What number are you plugging in for alpha, and what units is your number for omega expressed in?

haruspex said:
You did not answer either question. What number are you plugging in for alpha, and what units is your number for omega expressed in?
Alpha is 10 rad/s...agh...I see now! Let me redo here...

haruspex said:
I've never seen that equation, and if you were to apply it you would get infinity. w does not change after the force on the door ceases.
but i
coffeemanja said:
dont forget that you have to use radians instead of degrees. But still it is apparently wrong to use that equation.

Haveagoodday said:
but i
Yes?

haruspex said:
well it is kind of like this equation v= dx/dt, and if you rearrange it you get t=dx/dv, and same goes for rotational motion equation w=dθ/dt, at least i think so.

I got 0.795 s

Haveagoodday said:
well it is kind of like this equation v= dx/dt, and if you rearrange it you get t=dx/dv.
No, you get dt=dx/v. It is certainly not the case that t=dx/dv.

Back