Angular momentum of projectile.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular momentum of a particle at its highest point in a projectile motion. The solution involves using the equation for angular momentum and substituting values for velocity, angle, and acceleration due to gravity. The resulting calculation results in a value of 18.75, which may be correct depending on any typos in the problem statement or answer sheet.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

Find out the angular momentum of particle as it reaches the highest point about the origin in projectile?

m=1 kg angle(i)=60 degree(with horizontal) u=10 m/s g=10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As angular momentum=##mrvsinB ##

Here velocity at top=##ucos\theta ##

As sinB=h/r

h=rsinB

Now h=##\frac { { u }^{ 2 }{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta }{ 2g } ##

So angular momentum=##\frac { { u }^{ 2 }{ sin }^{ 2 }\theta }{ 2g } ## ##mucos\theta ##

On putting values I got
##\frac { 100{ sin }^{ 2 }(60) }{ 2\times 10 } 10cos(60)##

##5{ sin }^{ 2 }(60)10cos(60)##

##\frac { 15 }{ 4 } \times \frac { 10 }{ 2 } =18.75##
But the answer is 187.5
[/B]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct. Perhaps a typo in the problem statement or answer sheet.

Likes Satvik Pandey
Doc Al said:
Your answer looks correct. Perhaps a typo in the problem statement or answer sheet.
Thank you Doc Al.

FAQ: Angular momentum of projectile.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = I * ω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

How does the angular momentum of a projectile change during flight?

The angular momentum of a projectile remains constant during flight as long as there are no external torques acting on it. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

What factors affect the angular momentum of a projectile?

The angular momentum of a projectile is affected by its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and any external torques acting on it.

How is angular momentum used in projectile motion?

Angular momentum is used in projectile motion to analyze the rotational motion of a projectile and to understand how it behaves in the air. It can also be used to calculate the trajectory and final position of a projectile.

Back