[ANSYS] Meshing based on Keypoints

In summary, the conversation is about using the effective notch method to model a longitudinal weld and creating a fine and specific mesh by generating Keypoints. The goal is to use Mesh200 and Vext to make it 3D and then convert it to Solid186 elements. However, there is difficulty in creating a mesh with the desired nodes using Keypoints and the current solution involves manually creating the mesh and converting it, which can be time-consuming and tedious. The speaker is looking for a more efficient way to create the mesh using Keypoints.
PlanABridge
TL;DR Summary
I need to analyze a welded joint and the method requires a very specific type of mesh. I tried to base it on Keypoints but can't manage it.
I'm analyzing a longitudinal weld using the effective notch method to modell it. This means my mesh must be fine and more importantly very specific. To do this, I generated Keypoints where I want the nodes of the finite element mesh to be and this where I was stumped.

I want to mesh it using Mesh200 elements and the make it 3D with Vext and finally turn it into Solid186 elements. My problem is that I can't seem to create a mesh where the defined Keypoint give me the nodes in the mesh.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The way I've tried to solve this is by manually creating the mesh using Mesh200 elements and then converting it to 3D with Vext. This has worked in some cases, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it since it takes a lot of time and can be very tedious.I'm looking for a way to efficiently create a mesh using Keypoints that will give me the nodes I need in the finite element mesh.

Related to [ANSYS] Meshing based on Keypoints

What is keypoint-based meshing in ANSYS?

Keypoint-based meshing in ANSYS involves creating a mesh based on specific keypoints that define the geometry of the model. These keypoints serve as reference points for generating the mesh, ensuring that the mesh accurately represents the geometry of the structure being analyzed.

How do I create keypoints in ANSYS?

To create keypoints in ANSYS, you can use the keypoint creation tools available in the Preprocessor module. You can define keypoints by specifying their coordinates directly or by using geometric construction tools like lines, arcs, or splines. Once keypoints are created, they can be used to define the boundaries and features of the mesh.

What are the advantages of using keypoints for meshing?

Using keypoints for meshing offers several advantages, including greater control over the mesh generation process, better representation of complex geometries, and the ability to refine the mesh in specific areas of interest. Keypoints allow for precise definition of the geometry, which can lead to more accurate simulation results.

How can I refine the mesh around keypoints in ANSYS?

To refine the mesh around keypoints in ANSYS, you can use mesh controls such as element size, biasing, and local mesh refinement. These controls allow you to specify finer mesh elements around keypoints to capture detailed features and gradients in the geometry. You can apply these controls through the Meshing module or by using commands in the ANSYS APDL script.

Can keypoint-based meshing be used for 3D models in ANSYS?

Yes, keypoint-based meshing can be used for 3D models in ANSYS. Keypoints can be defined in three-dimensional space to create vertices, edges, and faces that form the basis of the 3D mesh. This approach is particularly useful for complex 3D geometries where precise control over the mesh is required to ensure accurate simulation results.