Anti-GMO hysteria now most dangerous anti-science movement

• News
  • Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary: I disagree with the policy of using freedom of information act to demand full access to scientists' emails in order to intimidate and harassment them.
russ_watters said:
For example, one could inadvertently splice in a gene from one plant that produces a substance that causes a food allergy

True. But this can happen naturally as well. Navel oranges are all clones of a single mutant plant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
True. But this can happen naturally as well.
Yes, that's what I was saying with the rest of the post; why I don't see the risk as fundamentally different.
[Edit] On the other hand, the link in the OP points out that new techniques enable more precision/specificity than cross-breeding, which is a total crapshoot. That should make modern techniques safer.

Last edited:
brainpushups said:
I'm not sure I agree with that completely. I think that both a narrow view and a wide angled view are important to consider.
But on the specific issue we were discussing (glyophosphate resistance), the anti-GMO attack misses the the actual cause of the harm. It is generally better to attack a problem head-on than obliquely (if possible).
I can think of instances where certain chemicals or products were believed to be safe by the establishment and then later found to be harmful. This is perhaps the source of my skepticism.
Of course, that's a healthy skepticism. But we can't let such fears override good science and stunt progress. It also should be recognized that we are much better at identifying true risks today than in the past.
I would have no objection to a GMO crop being grown and sold if it has undergone rigorous study and grown, let's say 'ecologically' (to avoid the connotations associated with 'organic').
I'm not clear on what you mean by "grown ecologically".
Are you lumping me in with them?
No, but they are the target/topic of this thread, per the thread title. To the extent that your concerns are legitimate somewhat makes them off-topic (but helps to define the legitimate boundaries of the concerns).
[Edit] And I do think this has been a productive conversation.

Last edited:
gleem said:
Does anyone know the details of the safety studies that are or have been done on GMO crops particularly long terms studies of chronic health effects or reproductive effects?
"Details" is a tough request to fulfill. There have been thousands (tens of thousands?) of safety studies performed on GMOs. The possibility of long-term health effects (and lack of study thereof) is a common complaint, but is largely misguided. Yes, long-term studies are done, but the best "studies" for long-term effects by now are the history itself and in particular the tightly controlled breeding of livestock, which makes it easy to study:
...globally, food-producing animals consume 70% to 90% of genetically engineered crop biomass, mostly corn and soybean. In the United States alone, animal agriculture produces over 9 billion food-producing animals annually, and more than 95% of these animals consume feed containing GE ingredients. The numbers are similar in large GMO producing countries with a large agricultural sector, such as Brazil and Argentina...

Writing in the Journal of Animal Science, in the most comprehensive study of GMOs and food ever conducted, University of California-Davis Department of Animal Science geneticist Alison Van Eenennaam and research assistant Amy E. Young reviewed 29 years of livestock productivity and health data from both before and after the introduction of genetically engineered animal feed.

The field data represented more than 100 billion animals covering a period before 1996 when animal feed was 100% non-GMO, and after its introduction when it jumped to 90% and more. The documentation included the records of animals examined pre and post mortem, as ill cattle cannot be approved for meat.

What did they find? That GM feed is safe and nutritionally equivalent to non-GMO feed. There was no indication of any unusual trends in the health of animals since 1996 when GMO crops were first harvested. [emphasis added]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonenti...-is-over-thanks-to-a-new-trillion-meal-study/

This is in addition to the difficulty in identifying a mechanism by which GMO food could cause the long-term effects implied. Genes can't cause chemical harm (poisoning) in and of themselves. The added gene would have to cause the plant to generate an unexpected chemical (or biological agent), which could, of course, be detected. This makes blanket anti-GMO concern invalid: it is inherently impossible for genetic modification itself to cause harm. IE, even if a certain modification were found to be harmful, that would not provide a justification for banning all modification.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
It also should be recognized that we are much better at identifying true risks today than in the past.
Maybe, and maybe we're always making that progress. However, I bet that same argument would have been used on products a generation ago that are now known to be harmful.
russ_watters said:
I'm not clear on what you mean by "grown ecologically".
Perhaps I don't even need a distinction like that. Let's just say that one product (non-GMO) and another product (GMO) are both grown in the exact same way. If there have been no demonstrated ill-effects of either product then I agree there is no reason to have a preference.

russ_watters said:
The added gene would have to cause the plant to generate an unexpected chemical (or biological agent), which could, of course, be detected. This makes blanket anti-GMO concern invalid: it is inherently impossible for genetic modification itself to cause harm. IE, even if a certain modification were found to be harmful, that would not provide a justification for banning all modification.

Blanket banning of research is irrational. Just as a drug can have an unexpected sequla does't justify the cessation of pharmaceutical research. However unlike pharmaceuticals food will be taken in by all so vigilance with regards to untoward effects should be of prime importance.

We hardly understand "natural" disease processes just look at pharmaceutical research, it is a guessing , albeit educated, game as to what approach will work and GMO consumption is a whole new game. Industry sponsored research will and should always be suspect on any product.

Likes russ_watters and brainpushups
gleem said:
Blanket banning of research is irrational.
[but]
...Industry sponsored research will and should always be suspect on any product.
Agreed. The FDA is one of my more respected government agencies. I think it is good at its job and think our food/drug quality has improved markedly over the hundred years of its existence.

But just to be clear, an "all natural" food supply via blanket banning of all GMOs, pesticides and non-"natural" fertilizer (presumably, poo in our drinking water is ok though?) really is a central plank of the "environmentalist" movement. Another central plank has nothing directly to do with the environment: anti-corporate-ism. But these two planks intersect when it comes to GMOs and it is tough to separate the motives. IE, are GMOs themselves bad or is it just bad that Monsanto is allowed to patent genes? Sometimes it is tough to know which topic we are discussing.

[note: I just checked Greenpeace and the Sierra Club's websites to be sure both planks were on them.]

russ_watters said:
But just to be clear, an "all natural" food supply via blanket banning of all GMOs, pesticides and non-"natural" fertilizer (presumably, poo in our drinking water is ok though?) really is a central plank of the "environmentalist" movement. Another central plank has nothing directly to do with the environment: anti-corporate-ism. But these two planks intersect when it comes to GMOs and it is tough to separate the motives. IE, are GMOs themselves bad or is it just bad that Monsanto is allowed to patent genes? Sometimes it is tough to know which topic we are discussing.

Extremism in the protection of the environment is no virtue and extremism is very rarely, if ever, a good solution to any problem.

The issue with "corporate-ism' is its concentration on profits. I do not wish to imply that all corporate endeavors are not inconsiderate of the public good, but when push comes to shove and the product in which so much is invested becomes suspect it is a natural tendency to gloss over more or less the negative aspects. Industry can never regulate itself. Really if there where no consequence for mislabeling or false representation would we be better off?

russ_watters said:
or is it just bad that Monsanto is allowed to patent genes? Sometimes it is tough to know which topic we are discussing.

This is almost as troubling.

Have you seen the movie "Soylent Green" (1973). it doesn't seem so outlandish considering what we see in our future, a single corporation controlling a dwindling food supply.

BWV said:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-08/bc-g-081915.php

If a bunch of morons wants to believe that evolution is a myth then there is not all that much harm done. vaccine and global warming denial are more problematic, but nothing comes close to interfering with the science it's going to take to feed 11 billion people

List of https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/809of the Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act - "Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to deem misbranded any food that has been genetically engineered... "

Sen. Murkowski, Lisa [R-AK]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [D-NY]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Blumenthal, Richard [D-CT]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Begich, Mark [D-AK]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Tester, Jon [D-MT]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Sanders, Bernard [I-VT]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Merkley, Jeff [D-OR]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Schatz, Brian [D-HI]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Heinrich, Martin [D-NM]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Feinstein, Dianne [D-CA] 05/07/2013
Sen. Mikulski, Barbara A. [D-MD] 05/21/2013
Sen. Leahy, Patrick J. [D-VT] 07/31/2013
Sen. Shaheen, Jeanne [D-NH] 07/31/2013
Sen. Warren, Elizabeth [D-MA] 11/04/2013
Sen. Murphy, Christopher S. [D-CT] 01/13/2014
Sen. Booker, Cory A. [D-NJ] 07/31/2014
Sen. Reed, Jack [D-RI] 09/16/2014

I doubt all of the above are actually GMO-is-sccarrry nuts; some likely have some big donations from organic farmers and distributors and say what they're told to say.

Last edited:
mheslep said:
List of https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/809of the Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act - "Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to deem misbranded any food that has been genetically engineered... "

Sen. Murkowski, Lisa [R-AK]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [D-NY]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Blumenthal, Richard [D-CT]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Begich, Mark [D-AK]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Tester, Jon [D-MT]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Sanders, Bernard [I-VT]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Merkley, Jeff [D-OR]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Schatz, Brian [D-HI]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Heinrich, Martin [D-NM]* 04/24/2013
Sen. Feinstein, Dianne [D-CA] 05/07/2013
Sen. Mikulski, Barbara A. [D-MD] 05/21/2013
Sen. Leahy, Patrick J. [D-VT] 07/31/2013
Sen. Shaheen, Jeanne [D-NH] 07/31/2013
Sen. Warren, Elizabeth [D-MA] 11/04/2013
Sen. Murphy, Christopher S. [D-CT] 01/13/2014
Sen. Booker, Cory A. [D-NJ] 07/31/2014
Sen. Reed, Jack [D-RI] 09/16/2014
Shakes head, they don't even give any reasoning.

Evo said:
Shakes head, they don't even give any reasoning.

What do you mean? This is straight from the bill:

SEC. 2. PURPOSE AND FINDINGS.(a) Purpose.—The purpose of this Act is to establish a consistent and enforceable standard for labeling of foods produced using genetic engineering, including fish, thereby providing consumers with knowledge of how their food is produced.

(b) Findings.—Congress finds that—

(1) the process of genetically engineering food organisms results in material changes to food derived from those organisms;

(2) the Food and Drug Administration requires the labeling of more than 3,000 ingredients, additives, and processes;

(3) individuals in the United States have a right to know if their food was produced with genetic engineering for a variety of reasons, including health, economic, environmental, religious, and ethical;

(4) more than 60 countries, including the United Kingdom and all other countries of the European Union, South Korea, Japan, Brazil, Australia, India, China, and other key United States trading partners have laws or regulations mandating disclosure of genetically engineered food on food labels;

(5) in 2011, Codex Alimentarius, the food standards organization of the United Nations, adopted a text that indicates that governments can decide on whether and how to label foods produced with genetic engineering; and

(6) mandatory identification of food produced with genetic engineering can be a critical method of preserving the economic value of exports or domestically sensitive markets with labeling requirements for genetically engineered foods.

What more reasoning do you expect from lawmakers?

Likes Evo
Evolution has just proven itself. Our first wide scale venture into to GMO has given us weeds that have adapted to Roundup herbicide. So now that we have knowledge of the unexpected consequences of the first round of GMO what is going to happen? I think we all know what is going to happen. Dicamba and 24D resistant GMO crops are on the way.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/id/id-453-w.pdf

Below is an interesting point of view given to is by the Union of concerned Scientists. Sorry it is a PDF. I can't cut and paste the good parts, then again it is a very informative 8 page read. It addition to the resistant weed problem, it also brings up the issue of growing the same crop over and over in the same fields.

http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/legacy/assets/documents/food_and_agriculture/rise-of-superweeds.pdf

Likes brainpushups
brainpushups said:
What do you mean? This is straight from the bill:
What more reasoning do you expect from lawmakers?
Their reasoning, most likely, is being heavily influence by the fact the genetic food lobby is not going to go away.

mheslep said:

Yet now in the house is bill H.R. 4432 Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2014 which favors GMO products see

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/4432/text

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Our first wide scale venture into to GMO has given us weeds that have adapted to Roundup herbicide

Herbicide resistance predates Roundup Ready. It even predates Roundup. Roundup resistant pest species have nothing to do with GMO.

Vanadium 50 said:
Herbicide resistance predates Roundup Ready. It even predates Roundup. Roundup resistant pest species have nothing to do with GMO.

Picky picky picky : ) I mentioned Roundup because it was the herbicide of choice used by Monsanto when they created the GMO. This was the first incidence of a widely used GMO becoming obsolete due to weed resistance to the herbicide the GMO was created to tolerate. If you read the links you will see that the same is expected in the future with whatever GMO and herbicide it has been developed to tolerate.

edward said:
Evolution has just proven itself. Our first wide scale venture into to GMO has given us weeds that have adapted to Roundup herbicide. So now that we have knowledge of the unexpected consequences of the first round of GMO what is going to happen?
In addition to what V50 pointed out, Roundup resistance also predates roundup ready modification, so you've got the entire issue backwards.
...This was the first incidence of a widely used GMO becoming obsolete due to weed resistance ...
Roundup Ready is not obsolete - it's still on the market (and indeed now that its patent is expired a generic version was recently produced).
If you read the links you will see that the same is expected in the future with whatever GMO and herbicide it is developed to tolerate.
Of course. It is expected that most pesticides/herbicides will become less effective over time as weeds/bugs adapt. That's part of the reason why resistant crops are needed/created. Again, you've got the entire issue backwards.

gleem said:
Yet now in the house is bill H.R. 4432 Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2014 which favors GMO products see

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/4432/text

You seem to be out of date.

H.R. 4432 (113th): Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2014Introduced:
Apr 9, 2014
113th Congress, 2013–2015

Died in a previous Congress
This bill was introduced on April 9, 2014, in a previous session of Congress, but was not enacted.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr4432

Re: H.R. 4432

I saw that it was sent back to committee but did not know it died. So I guess that a win for the anti GMO faction.

Perhaps worth mentioning that drought resistance is another key goal of GMO crops and no issue of evolutionary resistance there

Also pest resistance does have evolutionary dynamics but at least the goal is reduced use of pesticides which are at least as subject to evolution

gleem said:
Re: H.R. 4432

I saw that it was sent back to committee but did not know it died. So I guess that a win for the anti GMO faction.
Yeah and a win for the uninformed isn't a win, is it? Political caving to lobbyists. It's no longer about the science but about the politics.

Last edited:
Likes phinds
russ_watters said:
Of course. It is expected that most pesticides/herbicides will become less effective over time as weeds/bugs adapt. That's part of the reason why resistant crops are needed/created. Again, you've got the entire issue backwards.

In what time frame is it expected ? Monsanto never mentioned anything about resistance happening this fast.

Monsanto, which once argued that resistance would not become a major problem, now cautions against exaggerating its impact.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-environment/04weed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Just to throw in my Zloty's worth:-

Just to flesh me out, I consider myself a Transhumanist, man of the World and not uneducated. I am disinterested in GMO. The previous three pages have been interesting, and I appreciate that this is a scientific forum, but one thing that seems to have been omitted is the People. The People pay for this research and are the beneficiaries of it. Science cannot operate in a vacuum (get it?). It must not operate for science's benefit only. Science without social context and acceptance will always be fraught with distrust and derision.

Clearly anti GMO rhetoric is pervasive and powerful, yet by no means the most dangerous anti science movement. Embryology, Creationism and (in the UK) on shore wind are equally controversial. Scientists cannot be elevated to a high podium from where they dictate what is in our best interest without consultation. Smoking is bad for me, yet I smoke. The debate cannot only be an elitist conversation reserved for the chattering classes. The scientific community cannot impose their will on the People because they know best. That's a dark road to totalitarianism.

Sometimes, whatever the apparent benefits, the people must be allowed to say no.

edward said:
In what time frame is it expected ? Monsanto never mentioned anything about resistance happening this fast.

1. Whether or not Monsanto is good at predicting how fast resistance develops in weeds is irrelevant to the question of the safety of GMOs.
2. It's hard to blame herbicide resistance on Roundup-Ready GMOs since, as Russ says, it predates it.

Paul Uszak said:
Sometimes, whatever the apparent benefits, the people must be allowed to say no.
That makes absolutely no sense at all. Uninformed people should not be allowed to make decisions, much less decisions based on hysterics and misinformation.

Paul Uszak said:

Yes like what to eat. I think it is call Democracy. Surely monkeying with the food supply, source or chain is something that can have a lot of sociological or political implications like privacy issues do. Food could be used as a medium for all sorts of mischief. Gene splicing research seems to be distrusted because of its applications which force people to accept it when their questions are not fully answered to their satisfaction. Certainly making it a major part of our food supply is not warranted at this time. People should have a choice when it only affects themselves and those for home they are responsible.

There are many religious customs that are not necessarily logical to most of us but can we require them to abandon these customs for our convenience. This is a difficult question even when the abandonment of a custom is patently necessary for example in the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Such situations are a slippery slope in human relations. Recall, some educated or otherwise knowledgeable persons in the US during the early twentieth century believed and taught that eugenics was justified and necessary.

Evo said:
That makes absolutely no sense at all. Uninformed people should not be allowed to make decisions, much less decisions based on hysterics and misinformation.
thats a dangerous position to take; because somebody has to decide who is informed enough.

Universal suffrage means that uninformed people make decisions about who implements policy on their behalf. We may despair at the outcome sometimes, but the alternative is very horrible.

If, you have a politican that wants to promote a particular crop in their constituency, and another that does not; it is for the people - informed or not - to decide.

Likes Dr. Courtney
William White said:
thats a dangerous position to take; because somebody has to decide who is informed enough.
We'll agree to disagree then. When it comes to matters of health and safety, like vaccines, medications, and yes, foods, it should not up to the misinformed masses to make decisions on a broad scale that affects many. There are people trying to prevent GMO food from even being consumed simply out of irrational fear.

Evo said:
There are people trying to prevent GMO food from even being consumed.

How are they preventing the consumption of GMO food? Right now all hear is that there is a concern for the safety of this product. An that is anybody's right even if they are wrong.

Evo said:
We'll agree to disagree then. When it comes to matters of health and safety, like vaccines, medications, and yes, foods, it should not up to the misinformed masses to make decisions on a broad scale that affects many. There are people trying to prevent GMO food from even being consumed simply out of irrational fear.

Then you have to decide who makes the decision, and you have to decide who decides who can make the decision: eventually you keep going until you short circuit that process and have a dictatorship, or you continue to the end and have representative democracy.

Experts should be there to advise, not decide, so that representatives can make the best possible decision based on their mandate.

For example, in the USA, the decision on medication on broad scale that affects many has been a bone of contention for decades; and in the end result was a watered down Obama-care. In the UK NICE make decisions about medications available on the NHS, but ultimtely, NHS policy - on the broadest scale - is determined at the ballot box.

Another example is the building of nuclear power stations, and HLW depositories. In the UK there is a triple lock, which means that after the experts have given their advice; the local people - at town, borough and county level make the decision. Recently, a planned depository in Cumbria was struck down after 1 out of 3 of the triple locks failed at the ballot.

So, I agree that people are prevening GM food out of fear. But who does this planet belong to (rather, who are the custodians)? We are. If we want better governance, then have a better educated people. Do not short circuit them because they are irrational.

Last edited:
Likes kith
gleem said:
How are they preventing the consumption of GMO food? Right now all hear is that there is a concern for the safety of this product. An that is anybody's right even if they are wrong.
If you read through the thread you'll see posts on which countries are passing laws and advising against it, it's been going on for years.

Then that is their choice, They are not burning field of GMO crops then or derailing trains carrying GMO food. They are fully in their right to boycott anything they think is not in their interest but they cannot, should not prevent me from obtaining GMO food if I want.

Back in the 50's when fluoride was added to public water supplies to improve dental health there was an outcry of concerned citizens about the safety of this policy. Of course as it turned out it died as the value and safety of this policy became evident. But GMO foods are not the same, first the safety of GMO is not established beyond a doubt IMO and second GMO food production is especially beneficial for a few companies which will have absolute control over this product and thirdly it will probably introduce its genetic material into all compatible plants with the possible result of unintended consequences.

Let the debates continue and ask for more definitive testing by unbiased researchers.

Vanadium 50 said:
1. Whether or not Monsanto is good at predicting how fast resistance develops in weeds is irrelevant to the question of the safety of GMOs.
2. It's hard to blame herbicide resistance on Roundup-Ready GMOs since, as Russ says, it predates it.

Monsanto is supposedly the expert and they were wrong about adaptation. That is a safety issue, farmers ended up using more herbicide instead of less. Are we just to go on endlessly developing mew GMO's and new herbicides?

The union of Concerned Scientists focuses on that issue in the link.

http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/legacy/assets/documents/food_and_agriculture/rise-of-superweeds.pdf

edward said:
Are we just to go on endlessly developing mew GMO's and new herbicides?

Sort of like the way we just go on endlessly developing new antibiotics?

There is no alternative.

Edward, you are continuing to blame GMOs from Monsanto before Roundup-Ready seeds even existed. That's, at best, illogical.

Back