Any Opinions on the New Online BSEE at Stony Brook

• Thread starter robbrown784
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, the Stony Brook online BSEE program looks like a good choice for students who have already done most of their lower level coursework elsewhere. It is expected to be accredited by the American Board of Engineering and Technology when the first class graduates in 2014.
robbrown784
For anyone unfamiliar, here is the program I'm talking about.
Its a fully online BSEE at Stony Brook, aimed at students who've already done most of their lower level courses elsewhere.

The website says they're expecting abet accreditation when the first class graduates in 2014. Does anyone have any compelling reason to to believe this will or won't happen? It looks pretty legit but I'm still skeptical. Wouldn't that make this the first online engineering degree to be abet accredited?

Anyone happen to know if the students and faculty of the normal Stony Brook EE program take it seriously?
Any clue what employers or grad schools will think of it? Even assuming it turns out to be an excellent program and has no problems with abet, will the reputation of online degrees still make it worthless?

For someone choosing between this and a particularly lousy regular school, would this program make sense? Or is a bad regular program still better than any online program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Very cool that they're offering full degrees online now. Stony Brook is a flagship school in the SUNY system, and their math and science programs are highly-respected. As with offering any new degree program, they cannot become accredited until the first class graduates. A similar thing happened at my alma mater when they created a law school. The ABA couldn't accredit the school until the first class graduated.

I didn't go to SUNY, but wouldn't be worried. I also saw that Oregon State's offering a BS in CS online and is the exact same degree as being an on-campus student.

I wish there were online Physics degree programs, but seems impractical due to the need to conduct hands-on labs, etc.

Opinion of Stonybrook online BSEE

I have taken several of these courses to date. I found them to be rigorous ( I wasn't looking for an easy ride). The only issue I have is that each professor seems to choose their own video production method so they lack consistency. One course may have a look similar to an online MIT course with an image of a professor standing at a white board, another course may show just the image of the white board... Also in some videos it was difficult / impossible for me to hear questions asked by students in the class. Most of the time that didn't matter - you could figure out the question based on the response.

All in all, Stonybrook offers a really good value and comprehensive courses. I figure they will smooth out the minor wrinkles over time.

I have tried other online (BSEET) programs and found Stonybrook to be superior.

Hope this helps.

FAQ: Any Opinions on the New Online BSEE at Stony Brook

1. What is the BSEE program at Stony Brook?

The BSEE program at Stony Brook is a new online program designed to provide students with a comprehensive education in electrical engineering. It covers topics such as circuit analysis, electronics, computer systems, and communication systems.

2. What are the benefits of an online BSEE program?

An online BSEE program offers flexibility for students to study at their own pace and on their own schedule. It also allows students to access course materials and lectures from anywhere, making it convenient for working professionals or those with other commitments.

3. Is the BSEE program at Stony Brook accredited?

Yes, the BSEE program at Stony Brook is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), ensuring that the curriculum and quality of education meet industry standards.

4. Are there any prerequisites for the BSEE program?

Yes, applicants to the BSEE program must have a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as a strong background in math and science. Some courses may also have specific prerequisites that must be met before enrolling.

5. What career opportunities are available for BSEE graduates?

BSEE graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power and energy, computer engineering, and more. They can also pursue advanced degrees in engineering or related fields.