Anymore ?Exploring the Mysteries of Black Holes

In summary, the before collapse phase of a star's collapse is preducted by general relativity theory, but quantum theory which also has to hold is in conflict. If a star's mass is too great, then the gravity is too strong and will overcome the pressure of the degeneracy and it will collapse into a black hole.
japam
My question is related to black holes, well there are many books and writings that explain what a black hole is and all AFTER collapse but i have seen few that explains the BEFORE collapse; exactly how is that matter can be squeezed to an infintesimal point, ¿what effects could one expect to see before the collapse?
¿why are astrophysicists so sure that if a star has the critical mass , then it would inexorably colapse to a black hole, why can't be that could exist other types of star collapses apart of white dwars and neutron stars?
¿if black holes really exists , doesn't this imply that electrons and all elemental particles can be splittered infinitely ? so they are not elemental

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The question of what happens to matter inside a black hole is still open. Collapsing to a point is preducted by general relativity theory, but quantum theory which also has to hold is in conflict.

The densist form of matter outside black holes is that of a neutron star (no electrons). If a neutron star is big enough, its Schwarzschild radius will be greater than the radius of the star. This is the point where current theory breaks down.

My understanding is that current theory implies that time would be distorted to such an extent that any collapse that has been initiated could not have proceeded to a singularity relative to us. Collapsing matter would be frozen at the event horizon, from our point of view.

japam said:
¿why are astrophysicists so sure that if a star has the critical mass , then it would inexorably colapse to a black hole, why can't be that could exist other types of star collapses apart of white dwars and neutron stars?
l

They believe this because a stars mass (in general) will tell us what a star is composed of - and when it runs out of elements to fuse it will collapse under gravity to form an extremely dense object.

If the mass is small enough when the star begins to 'collapse' electrons in the star will get 'claustraphobic' and start vibrating very rapidly, which is known as electron degeneracy, therefore it exerts a pressure pushing outwards, if there is not enough mass (gravity) to counter this, then they live in a cute little equilibrium as a white dwarf or neutron star.

If the star is too massive, then the gravity is too strong and will overcome the pressure of the degeneracy (i think the is neutron degeneracy too) and it will collapse into a black hole.

It's been years since I've read an astrophysics book though, but I am sure that is fairly accurate.

That sounds very familiar from some thermal physics lecture last year Riogho!

I think you're correct :)

Related to Anymore ?Exploring the Mysteries of Black Holes

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is caused by the collapse of a massive star.

How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse causes the star to become incredibly dense, creating a black hole.

Can we see black holes?

No, black holes are invisible due to their strong gravitational pull. However, we can observe the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the movement of nearby objects.

What happens if you fall into a black hole?

If you were to fall into a black hole, you would experience a phenomenon known as spaghettification, where the intense gravity would stretch and pull your body apart. As you get closer to the center of the black hole, the gravity becomes infinitely strong, and you would eventually reach the singularity where the laws of physics break down.

Do black holes ever disappear?

According to current theories, black holes do not disappear. However, they do emit radiation called Hawking radiation, which causes them to slowly lose mass over time. This process is very slow, and it would take trillions of years for a black hole to completely evaporate.