AP Calculus AB Free Response Question

In summary, the acceleration of the particle at time $t=3$ is $-\frac{1}{2}g$. The total distance traveled by the particle from time $t=0$ to $t=3$ is $\int_0^3 v(t)\, dt$. The time $t$ at which the particle is farthest to the right is $t=\frac{3}{2}+\frac{1}{2}g$.
scottshannon
I needed help on this AB Calculus Free Response Question:

A particle moves along the x-axis do that its velocity $v$ at time $t \ge 0$ is given by $v(t) = \sin( t^2)$ for the interval $0 \le t \le \sqrt{5\pi}$. The position of the particle at time $t$ is $x(t)$ and its position at time $t = 0$ is $x(0) = 5$ .

a) Find the acceleration of the particle at time $t = 3$.
b) Find the total distance traveled by the particle from time $t = 0$ to $t = 3$.
c) Find the position of the particle at time $t =3$.
d) For $0 \le t \le \sqrt{5\pi}$, find the time $t$ at which the particle is farthest to the right. Explain your answer.

I believe that I can do a) but I am not sure about the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part b, can you think about a particle changing direction? When would that occur? If a particle goes only in one direction, then what's the relationship between displacement and total distance traveled? If a particle changes direction, what's the relationship between displacement and total distance traveled?

For part d, is there some aspect of differential calculus you can think of that you could bring to bear on find the biggest value of the position function?

scottshannon said:

A particle moves along the x-axis do that its velocity $v$ at time $t \ge 0$ is given by $v(t) = \sin( t^2)$ for the interval $0 \le t \le \sqrt{5\pi}$. The position of the particle at time $t$ is $x(t)$ and its position at time $t = 0$ is $x(0) = 5$ .

b) Find the total distance traveled by the particle from time $t = 0$ to $t = 3$.
d) For $0 \le t \le \sqrt{5\pi}$, find the time $t$ at which the particle is farthest to the right. Explain your answer.

My problem is that I don't know how to figure displacement unless I can integrate. If you could tell me how to work the problem rather than give me a question, I would be most appreciative.

So between $0$ and $\sqrt{\pi}$ the velocity is positive. Between $\sqrt{\pi}$ and $\sqrt{2\pi}$ the velocity is negative. How does that help me if I cannot integrate $\sin\left({t^2}\right)$?

Last edited by a moderator:
scottshannon said:

Hi scottshannon,

For b), the total distance traveled from $t = 0$ to $t = 3$ is $\int_0^3 v(t)\, dt$. You have $v(t)$, but note that you cannot simplify the integral any further.

For c), use the fundamental theorem of calculus to get $x(3) = x(0) + \int_0^3 v(t)\, dt = 5 + \int_0^3 \sin(t^2)\, dt$.

Finally for d), use the first (or second) derivative test to find the time $t$ that maximizes $x(t)$.

Euge said:
For b), the total distance traveled from $t = 0$ to $t = 3$ is $\int_0^3 v(t)\, dt$.
If we believe in the distinction between distance and displacement as on this figure from Wikipedia,

View attachment 3984

then the total distance is $\int_0^3 \lvert v(t)\rvert\, dt$.

Attachments

• 323px-Distancedisplacement.svg.png
    323px-Distancedisplacement.svg.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 79
Evgeny.Makarov said:
If we believe in the distinction between distance and displacement as on this figure from Wikipedia,
then the total distance is $\int_0^3 \lvert v(t)\rvert\, dt$.

Yes, I should have added that comment. Thanks for adding that point. I think the picture is slightly misleading though. It doesn't quite illustrate that in one-dimensional motion, the displacement under a given time interval is signed area of the velocity-time graph over that interval, whereas the distance is the unsigned area of the velocity-time graph over that interval.

Thank you...I understand the need for absolute value so as to calculate the total distance, so that the be negative will not subtract from the positive displacement.

Short of writing the infinite series for $\sin\left(t^2\right)$ and then integrating term by term, I don't know if there is a way to come up with a numerical value for . If $f(t)=\sin\left(t^2\right)$ then

\(\displaystyle F(t) = \int_{t}^{0} \,\sin({t}^{2}) +5\)

I am not sure that I am using latex right. Is my latex being translated to symbols? If not can you help me use latex?

Last edited by a moderator:
On part d I am not sure how to take the first derivative.

Should the integral be written $\int_{0}^{{t}^{2}} \,sin(u)$ or
$\int_{0}^{t} \,sin({u}^{2}$

I am thinking you need:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=\frac{1}{2t}\int_0^{t^2}\sin(u)\,du\)

Do you see why?

Hello again scottshannon,

The derivative of $x(t)$ is $v(t)$, which is already given. You won't need to worry about finding an approximate value for $\int_0^3 |\sin t^2|\, dt$. However, if you need it, the value is approximately $1.702$.

I don't see why.. I am sorry

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that having the integrand sin(u) with limits t^2 and 0 is the same as sin(u^2) with limits t and 0 (I am too stupid to use latex sorry)

how do you get the cursive letters that you use for x(t) and v(t)..I can't do that

$\int_{0}^{u} \,\sin\left({{t}^{2}}\right)dt$

scottshannon said:
how do you get the cursive letters that you use for x(t) and v(t)..I can't do that

If you put v(t) in between two dollars signs, you get $v(t)$. Similarly for $x(t)$. Try it and see what you get.

The function is $v(t) = \sin\left({{t}^{2}}\right)$ , so it seems that the integral

should be $\int_{0}^{u} \,\sin\left({{t}^{2}}\right)dt$ not

$\int_{0}^{{t}^{2}} \,\sin\left({u}\right)du$

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I do not understand the fundamental theorem of calculus well enough

I purposefully gave you an integral expression for $x(t)$ so that when you tried maximizing by differentiating, you would realize that you already had the derivative of $x(t)$ in the given $v(t)$. :D

MarkFL said:
I am thinking you need:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=\frac{1}{2t}\int_0^{t^2}\sin(u)\,du\)
Indeed, \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\int_0^{t^2}\sin(u)\,du=2t\sin(t^2)\), but \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{2t}\int_0^{t^2}\sin(u)\,du\right)\ne \sin(t^2)\).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Indeed, \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\int_0^{t^2}\sin(u)\,du=2t\sin(t^2)\), but \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{2t}\int_0^{t^2}\sin(u)\,du\right)\ne \sin(t^2)\).

You mean we can't just ignore the product rule this one time?(Wasntme)

Related to AP Calculus AB Free Response Question

What is the format of the "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question"?

The "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question" consists of six questions, each with multiple parts. The first two questions are short-answer and the remaining four are long-answer. Students are given 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete the entire section.

What is the scoring system for the "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question"?

The section is worth a total of 50 points. Each short-answer question is worth 3 points and each long-answer question is worth 9 points. The remaining 5 points are awarded for quality of presentation, clear reasoning, and appropriate use of mathematical notation.

What topics are covered in the "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question"?

The questions cover a range of topics including limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts. They also often include questions about graphing, optimization, related rates, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

How should I prepare for the "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question"?

To prepare for the "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question", it is important to review all the topics covered in the course and practice solving similar types of problems. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the format of the exam and the types of questions that have been asked in previous years.

Is the "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question" difficult?

The difficulty of the "AP Calculus AB Free Response Question" can vary from year to year, but generally it is considered to be a challenging section of the exam. However, with thorough preparation and practice, students can do well on this portion of the exam.