AP Physics: Solving Average Acceleration Problem

In summary, a student is struggling with a physics problem involving a tennis ball being dropped and rebounding off the floor. They use the equations \Delta y = \frac{1}{2}at^2+v_0t and v_f^2=v_0^2+2a\Delta y to find the velocity when the ball hits the ground and calculate the average acceleration using a_{avg}=\frac{v_2-v_1}{t_2-t_1}. They are unsure how to calculate v2 until it is pointed out that the ball rebounds to a height of 2.0 m. Once this information is taken into account, they are able to solve the problem and get the correct answer.
azure kitsune
Hey everyone,

I'm taking AP Physics B and self-studying AP Physics C this year. School hasn't started yet, but I am already stuck on this problem from Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick, & Walker.

Homework Statement

A tennis ball is dropped onto the floor from a height of 4.00 m. It rebounds to a height of 2.00 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 12.0 ms, what is its average acceleration during that contact?

v0=0 m/s, y0=4.00 m, a=-9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta y = \frac{1}{2}at^2+v_0t[/tex]

[tex]v_f^2=v_0^2+2a\Delta y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used [tex]v_f^2=v_0^2+2a\Delta y[/tex] to find the velocity when the ball hits the ground.

[tex]v_f=-\sqrt{v_0^2+2a\Delta y}=-\sqrt{0^2+2*-9.8*-4} = -8.85 m/s[/tex]

I know that average acceleration is calculated by [tex]a_{avg}=\frac{v_2-v_1}{t_2-t_1}[/tex]

I just calculated v1 to be -8.85 m/s and the problem gives that t2-t1 is equal to 0.012 s.

This is where I got lost. I'm not sure how to calculate v2. I think it should be positive because during the contact, the ball changes from moving downwards to upwards.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that the ball rebounds to a height of 2.0 m. At what speed would it have to leave the floor, heading upward, in order to come to rest at that height? That velocity is your v2 and, since you called "downward" negative, this velocity will have a positive sign, making your average acceleration positive as well (that is, "upward").

Wow! I think my mind must have decided that piece of information was insignificant and automatically disregarded it each time I read it. :redface:

Thanks for your help! I was able to calculate v2 and get the correct answer! :smile:

Related to AP Physics: Solving Average Acceleration Problem

1. What is average acceleration in AP Physics?

Average acceleration in AP Physics is the change in velocity over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do I solve average acceleration problems in AP Physics?

To solve an average acceleration problem in AP Physics, you will need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time interval. Then, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to calculate the average acceleration.

3. What are the units for average acceleration in AP Physics?

The units for average acceleration in AP Physics are meters per second squared (m/s^2). This represents the change in velocity over a change in time.

4. Can average acceleration be negative in AP Physics?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative in AP Physics. This indicates that the object is decelerating, or slowing down, during the given time interval.

5. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration in AP Physics?

Average acceleration is calculated over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous acceleration takes into account any changes in velocity that may occur during the time interval, while average acceleration only considers the overall change in velocity.