Are there guides for assigning problem difficulty levels in ME textbooks?

• Other
  • Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, there are likely no resources that provide a difficulty level for each individual problem in freshman ME textbooks. The usual approach is to assume the first third are easy, the next medium, and the last third are hard. Professors may also choose problems of varying difficulty when assigning them. The preface of the textbook may indicate the author's strategy for presenting the problems. Undergraduate level textbooks often contain more drill-like problems, while graduate level textbooks may have fewer but more complex and ingenious problems. The goals of the authors may also differ, with some focusing on developing techniques and others on providing practice.
Frabjous
Gold Member
I was recently looking at some freshman ME textbooks that had over 100 problems per chapter. Are there resources that identify the difficulty level for each individual problem (for example: easy, medium, hard, fiendish) for the common textbooks? I am not looking for solution manuals.

Another way of viewing it, are there guides on which problems to assign?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likely not, the usual scheme is to assume the first third are easy, the next medium and the last third hard with the last few very hard.

You'll see this when profs pick problems to solve where they'll say do 5,7,9 and then do 23,25,27 and 43 or something like that so you know they picked them by varying difficulty levels.

Likes Frabjous
Maybe the preface of the textbook will tell you the strategy the author has in mind for presenting so many problems. I note at the the undergrad level for example EE. chapters contain many "drill" like problems and the reader is expected to solve a great number of them (especially with circuits and ohm's law (mesh and node voltage techniques)). However, without knowing the book, I would hate to say, solve > 70 of them, when they all may be brain breakers On the other hand, I would hate to say solve 10 of them, when more may be needed to develop enough practice.

Most graduate level books present problems that are less drill like or pedestrian and involve more and more ingenious techniques, and consequently there are fewer of them. Ten Jackson Classical Electrodynamics may be as time cosuming, as 50 Ohm's law node voltage problems. Also the aims of the authors; Jackson to develop technique; the other to develop practice; may be different

Likes jim mcnamara and Frabjous

Related to Are there guides for assigning problem difficulty levels in ME textbooks?

1. What is the purpose of assigning problem difficulty levels in ME textbooks?

The purpose of assigning problem difficulty levels in ME textbooks is to help students gauge their understanding of the material and to provide a structured learning experience. It also allows instructors to tailor their teaching methods and assessments to the level of difficulty that is appropriate for their students.

2. How are problem difficulty levels determined in ME textbooks?

Problem difficulty levels in ME textbooks are typically determined by the complexity of the concepts and the skills required to solve the problem. This can include the level of math, physics, and engineering principles involved, as well as the amount of prior knowledge and critical thinking skills needed.

3. Are there standardized guidelines for assigning problem difficulty levels in ME textbooks?

While there are no standardized guidelines for assigning problem difficulty levels in ME textbooks, there are some common practices that are often used. These include using a scale of easy, moderate, and difficult, or assigning numerical values to represent the level of difficulty.

4. Can problem difficulty levels vary between different editions of the same ME textbook?

Yes, problem difficulty levels can vary between different editions of the same ME textbook. This can be due to updates in the material, changes in the curriculum, or the preferences of the author or publisher.

5. How can students use problem difficulty levels to improve their learning experience?

Students can use problem difficulty levels to challenge themselves and identify areas where they may need more practice or review. They can also use the difficulty levels to pace their studying and focus on the most important concepts and skills needed for success in their ME course.