AT&T 5G cellular home internet - first impressions

jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For about 16 years, our home internet service has been via DSL, piggybacked onto our AT&T landline phone service. It's very slow, only 0.75 Mbps down. Apparently AT&T's infrastructure in our part of town doesn't support faster DSL.

Until a few years ago, the main alternative was the local cable TV monopoly, Spectrum. However, we've never used cable TV, because an antenna gives us enough TV. We didn't want to mess with having a cable connection installed, or deal with Spectrum.

Recently, AT&T introduced their "Internet Air" service in our area. It uses a combined 5G cellular gateway and Wi-Fi router. After receiving repeated mail invitations to upgrade to it, we took the plunge. The gateway/router arrived three days ago.

IMG_0638.jpeg

This unit is apparently a new model, as of last month. Its egg-shaped predecessor still shows up in most or all references online, even on AT&T's own website. It has a couple of Ethernet ports on the back. I easily added it to our powerline Ethernet network that uses house wiring instead of dedicated network cables. It basically takes the place of our old DSL modem and our Wi-Fi adapter.

In the picture, you can see a powerline Ethernet adapter on the wall below the gateway's power module. It was formerly connected to our Wi-Fi adapter (an Apple Airport Express unit).

I didn't need to reconfigure any of the devices on the powerline network. I did of course need to join our iPhones and iPads to the new Wi-Fi network.

So far we're happy with the results. With the old DSL setup, I could download about 5 Mbytes per minute (300 Mbytes per hour) to my iMac. Now I get about 4 to 6 Mbytes per second. I don't know yet whether the limiting factor is the 5G cellular or the powerline Ethernet.

• Informative
Likes scottdave and phinds
Computer science news on Phys.org
We just added one of these at our business as a backup. We were on Comcast for our internet, phones and TV, but the price kept rising. In March we switched to AT&T fiber optic and were impressed with the speed increase. In July a truck snagged the AT&T fiber line and we were down for 2.5 days. We were using a cell phone as a hotspot to get by. When they said this air thing was available, I jumped on the opportunity.

Likes jtbell
scottdave said:
In July a truck snagged the AT&T fiber line and we were down for 2.5 days. We were using a cell phone as a hotspot to get by. When they said this air thing was available, I jumped on the opportunity.
Very much the same thing happened to us. The day after I left on a solo road trip last month, my wife reported that our phone line from the utility pole at the street had come down. She scheduled an appointment for someone to come out and fix it. Then the linemen's union (CWA) went on strike against AT&T in the Southeast. So she had to use her iPhone for everything, and I had to do likewise with mine after I returned home. It prompted us to investigate AT&T's 5G internet, as well as T-Mobile's. Verizon doesn't offer it in our area yet.

Finally, the day after I set up the 5G gateway, and a month after the phone line came down, an AT&T manager came out and put the phone line back up. He said it had probably been snagged by a truck.

Next week, Apple is releasing MacOS 15 (Sequoia). That should give our new gateway a workout. Previous major MacOS upgrades have been about 12 GB or so, which was completely impractical with our old DSL service. I had to take a MacBook to the college where we used to work and still have access to their network, download the installer there, put it on a USB stick, and bring it back home to install on my iMac.

Last edited:
Back